Does anyone know what the wifi connection on LA <-> Hawaiian cruise is like?

Ombud

• Ombud changed the title to Does anyone know what the wifi connection on LA <-> Hawaiian cruise is like?
Guest ldtr

Not the fastest, not the slowest. Fast enough for email, and browsing. Not so good for wifi calls or streaming.

I have rarely had any trouble on a Hawaii run.  I’ve been able to do FaceTime and WiFi calling on sea days.  I haven’t tried streaming.  

10 (sea) days without being connected is a really long time for me.  I wouldn’t be able to “survive”.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

It wasn't bad this prior winter. Totally usable. But your question should probably be a bit more Emerald-specific rather than just being one that's just route-specific.

Is that because it's less crowded on the Emerald Princess? 

We did a 15 day Hawaii cruise in February on the Crown. Wi-fi was great except 2 days in the middle of the ocean both ways. So 4 days it was really slow. But the rest of the time it was great. 

7 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Is that because it's less crowded on the Emerald Princess? 

Potentially; I can't be sure of the bookings. But it's also because of whether or not the ship has any newer (or malfunctioning) technology by the time you sail or not, etc. Lots of varying factors or just luck of the draw.

We only booked the standard fare and just got back from Hawaii on April 29. I only purchased it for a couple of days when I needed to check on a family member and it was ok. Be aware, if you decide to buy it on a per day basis, you do pay 10.00 per day, not 7.50 if you get the loyalty discount. 
I asked a few people who had it every day and all said it worked just fine, with no problems. 

• Like 2