Live from Konigsdam on a Pacific Coastal

DrKoob

2 hours ago, GoHawks-43-8 said:

I'm a little curious. Is there the same requirement for a ship that starts and ends in Canada and never goes to another country? In other words, does the ship have to visit the USA if it starts and ends in Vancouver, like the ships have to visit Canada (or some other countey) if they start and end in Seattle

Canada, like many countries, has its own 'cabotage' laws that regulate cruises that visit its ports:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/corporate-services/policies/coasting-trade-canada/coasting-trade-act-transportation-passengers-cruise-ships

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, DrKoob said:

Sadly we can't use our Nexus getting off tomorrow because we are traveling with my wife's daughter and her husband and they don't have it. They have the car so we will just have to wait.

Wait for what?

39 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

There is something wrong with the koningsdam.  3 of my last cruises were on that ship and the last one put me over the edge.  I had no desire to do another cruise with hal and I’ve had over 500 days with my butt n a bed.  That ship has been at capacity or over from everything I’ve heard since last November.  They should be used to it by now.  I booked my last cruise about 7 weeks before I left (not on the koningsdam) after exhausting my options on other cruise lines.  It was night and day difference.  They don’t seem to really care on the koningsdam.

I think you’re right. I haven’t been on Konigsdam, but almost all the live froms and reviews I read have been generally negative. The exceptions seem to be those travelling in Neptune suites, or Club Orange. They should have been prepared for this cruise to be full. These short round trips from Vancouver always are. They’re very popular with the locals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

I think you’re right. I haven’t been on Konigsdam, but almost all the live froms and reviews I read have been generally negative. The exceptions seem to be those travelling in Neptune suites, or Club Orange. They should have been prepared for this cruise to be full. These short round trips from Vancouver always are. They’re very popular with the locals.

I was in club orange and while it helped some there was still some longer waits.  It’s a huge difference sailing in a Neptune suite.  I was lucky enough to secure a upsell just before my recent cruise.  It’s something I’ve rarely done.  I’m usually in a regular old balcony.  Just not having to deal with the front desk was worth the price.  Those that sail in Neptune suites all the time just don’t realize what a different experience it can be.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Wait for what?

To go through the land crossing at the U.S. boarder.  All passengers in the vehicle must have nexus to go in the nexus line, otherwise they all have to go in regular line, which is usually long but with the low rate of the Canadian dollar I can't imagine many Canadians going shopping in the states anymore, so lines to cross maybe less.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrKoob said:

From your lips to god's ears. We are parked at Canada Place so no taxi problems for us. Our goal is to be back at home in our Seattle suburb house before lunch. Just might make it. Walking off as soon as they will let us. Only once before have I wanted off a ship so badly.

What ship was that?

3 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

It is not that the ship was full it is that they are understaffed. 

21 hours ago, DrKoob said:

I am not sure if it would have made a difference but probably not because we did not get to the front of the line where we could tell them how many of us there were. The line just to get to the podium was 90 minutes. At that point we would have told them what size our party was. 

A 90 minute wait just to get to the podium. Wow I never saw the lineup that long. It took maybe 15 minutes to get to the podium to ask for a table for me the entire cruise. 

Has there been bad lineups at the MDR, yes. But was the cruise still enjoyable, absolutely. I always found a nice quiet place to relax. Hopefully they get the staffing issues figured out but you can and will still enjoy the cruise if you want to enjoy it. Many people enjoy complaining and always focus on the negative. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Darfun said:

A 90 minute wait just to get to the podium. Wow I never saw the lineup that long. It took maybe 15 minutes to get to the podium to ask for a table for me the entire cruise. 

The only time I have ever seen a long line on a full ship for the MDR was when people lined up just before the doors opened up. We have been choosing anytime dining since it began on cruise ships. We prefer to enter the MDR between 6:30 and 7:00pm and I can't recall a time we waited more than 10 minutes for a table. After reading this thread, I am happy that we paid the extra for Club Orange on our November Koingsdam cruise.

21 minutes ago, Darfun said:

Whenever we walked up, the line went all the way back to the club orange entrance. Talked to three couples who got to the podium after waiting 30+ minutes and we're handed a buzzer and waited 30 more for it to buzz. 

33 minutes ago, Darfun said:

You should definitely go on the koningsdam at thanksgiving. It was exactly that way in November for the thanksgiving cruise. 

Edited by Florida_gal_50

16 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

The only time I have ever seen a long line on a full ship for the MDR was when people lined up just before the doors opened up. We have been choosing anytime dining since it began on cruise ships. We prefer to enter the MDR between 6:30 and 7:00pm and I can't recall a time we waited more than 10 minutes for a table. After reading this thread, I am happy that we paid the extra for Club Orange on our November Koingsdam cruise.

I went to club orange on the first night of the thanksgiving cruise at 5:45.  The dining room opens at 5 or 5:15.  There was a line down a good majority of the ship so they weren’t lining up before it opens.  Club orange was very full too.  I got the last table. I’m a little shocked at how full this cruise is given that kids are still in school.  Would love to hear the capability numbers. 

9 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

went to club orange on the first night of the thanksgiving cruise at 5:45.  The dining room opens at 5 or 5:15.  There was a line down a good majority of the ship so they weren’t lining up before it opens.

Or they were the ones who lined up before the doors opened and they were still waiting to get in. I never have understood why people would wait in line for a meal unless they were starving and hadn't eaten in sometime. Waiting in line like sardines in a can is also not the best place to be post covid.

Just now, terrydtx said:

Or they were the ones who lined up before the doors opened and they were still waiting to get in. I never have understood why people would wait in line for a meal unless they were starving and hadn't eaten in sometime. Waiting in line like sardines in a can is also not the best place to be post covid.

Possibly but I’m hoping those people were in by then.  I’m with you on getting some place before it opens.  Let’s say the mdr opens for lunch at noon, I will go at 12:30.  Usually there isn’t a line up.  The pinnacle ships seem to be really bad though.  I do like to go to the lido shortly after it opens because I don’t want to deal with more people than I need to.  I remember one day in November at that time it was a sea of humanity.  I’m going to do my best to avoid 7 day cruises or 7 day b2b because they are nuts.  I’ve done those for the longest time because I’m still working.  Going on a longer cruise was like hearing angels sing.  So different.  People do act as if they are starving.

• Like 1

I was on the Thanksgiving cruise on the Koningsdam with a party of six.  We didn’t have to wait very long to get a table at the MDR—maybe ten minutes? We went at 6:30 pm and were able to go directly (after the first night) to our table.  

Worse thing for us on that cruise was the tendering issues at Cabo!  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

I was on the Thanksgiving cruise on the Koningsdam with a party of six.  We didn’t have to wait very long to get a table at the MDR—maybe ten minutes? We went at 6:30 pm and were able to go directly (after the first night) to our table.  

Worse thing for us on that cruise was the tendering issues at Cabo!  

Your table? Sounds like some sort of fixed arrangement.  I can tell you  when I left club orange that night maybe around 7 the line up was still a long way down the ship not just to the doors of club orange.  I walked by the line to go to my room.  Maybe they got it together after that night.

• 7am breakfast
  • 8am walk-off
  • 8:05 am short 3 cab wait
  • 8:30am home to start laundry

One of the best cruises I've been on.

I think pivoting my dining, embarkation, and debarkation "before the main crowd": appears made a huge difference in the enjoyment.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I never have understood why people would wait in line for a meal unless they were starving and hadn't eaten in sometime. Waiting in line like sardines in a can is also not the best place to be post covid.

Primary reasons...

• preferred seating availability....
    - window seats are high demand.
    - Some tables are more private than others.
    - Some people are travelling in large groups
  • some dining rooms fill up super quick.  Lunch was high demand for the MDR yesterday at noon and they were open for just one hour on the sea day.  They opened early by about 10 minutes when they saw the line started seating people while taking their orders.  With the MDR open til 1pm, I'm going to guess they were turning people away at 12:20pm when the place was full.  I noticed they were not cleaning tables as people were completing their meal
  • If the MDR has a long wait, are backup options preferred?
    - Not everyone can pay extra at specialty restaurants, especially if they are from a country with a depressed currency.
    - is the chaotic buffet really a great backup option when you want to relax?  Not fun trying to find a clean empty table when you have a plate of food in your hands.

9 minutes ago, xlxo said:

Primary reasons...

• preferred seating availability....
    - window seats are high demand.
    - Some tables are more private than others.
    - Some people are travelling in large groups
  • some dining rooms fill up super quick.  Lunch was high demand for the MDR yesterday at noon and they were open for just one hour on the sea day.  They opened early by about 10 minutes when they saw the line started seating people while taking their orders.  With the MDR open til 1pm, I'm going to guess they were turning people away at 12:20pm when the place was full.  I noticed they were not cleaning tables as people were completing their meal
  • If the MDR has a long wait, are backup options preferred?
    - Not everyone can pay extra at specialty restaurants, especially if they are from a country with a depressed currency.
    - is the chaotic buffet really a great backup option when you want to relax?  Not fun trying to find a clean empty table when you have a plate of food in your hands.

Yes if you must sit at a window I guess.  I'm not sure where the idea came from that they would start turning people away at 12:20.  They won't do that until it closes.

59 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yes if you must sit at a window I guess.  I'm not sure where the idea came from that they would start turning people away at 12:20.  They won't do that until it closes.

They were turning people away from the MDR dining room at 12:20. They didn't have the staff to cover it.

• Thanks 1