Live from Sky Princess 6 May

Eglesbrech

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But a lounge is a non-revenue generating area, so, unfortunately your idea, while excellent, was never going to happen.

so why not add a bar to the lounge....

Edited by gah_cruise

31 minutes ago, gah_cruise said:

so why not add a bar to the lounge....

Good point ! I have no answer, other than with the advent of the packages,  bars generate less revenue than they did 5 years ago.

• Like 1

@Jeter02I totally agree with you about the photo gallery on the Sky Princess being too large.  We had a full ship in March of this year and never saw very many people around there.  Also agree about the Good Spirits bar being much too small.  Otherwise, we enjoyed the ship.  Well, other than the narrow obstructed promenade deck.  Sitting at a window table in Crown Grille and looking at all sorts of apparatus rather than the sea.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kay S said:

A question:  where is Good Spirits?  Where is Bellini's?

Good spirits is located on Deck 6 midship. Bellini's is located on deck 5 to the left of international cafe.

@wowzz confirmed on his Easter cruise that Malbec was available on Sky. @Eglesbrech would you enquire if it’s still available since the dry dock please (I know you’d mentioned shortages of some items)? I only ask as there was not one bottle on Enchanted last year and I’ll bring my own if it’s gone off the wine offerings again. TIA.

Sea day

The good news is that the bars appear to be holding most stocks now. Everything I asked for today was available. They even have decent champagne by the glass. It has taken a couple of days to get there.

We managed to see the martini flaring which was fun but could not get into some other events we wanted to participate in as there were no spaces left 30 minutes before the start time eg the Tv trivia quiz. Lack of seats is still a big issue.

Lunch in the MDR was excellent. Really tasty soya prawns and a well flavoured chicken Korma.

They have opened up the Catch restaurant for coffees through the day. I think this was really needed to take the pressure off the rest of the areas.

Tried to get a pre dinner drink and every single venue was full. A private function in Take 5 reduced capacity more than usual. We were lucky as we could all go to the Elite lounge which was the only place with seats left. Enjoyed a drink and some nice nibbles there.

In spite of having a reservation we waited quite a while to be seated at dinner. That seems to be par for the course on most cruise ships now for formal nights. The menu was actually not as good for formal night as it was on most other evenings. Frankly a bit pedestrian. The 1500 new cruisers onboard will not be aware of that fact of course.

The entertainment has been excellent to date but only if you can actually get a seat. Our party have enjoyed the comedian, production shows and the singer. We would have enjoyed the extra performance in the Vista lounge but yet again it was full 45 minutes before the show time.

I’m so glad we upgraded to Premier as at least we get reserved seats for the production shows.

La Rochelle 

Did a tour here so out and about most of the day.

We actually managed to get a seat in Take 5 before dinner for a drink.

The menu in the MDR was really good tonight. We all found something we liked, much better than formal night and served piping hot. Veneer Schnitzel, hot iron steak, lamb etc all really tasty. Our food is now all coming out hot thanks to the assistant matre,d who has been very attentive.

Managed to get a seat at good spirits. They have the old menu but also a new cocktail menu with some amazing new cocktails just released  - we picked it up on the qr code on the bar and the staff had not seen it yet!. We tried the key lime pie martini and the Loch Ness Martini. I’ll ask the resident cabin geek to upload the menu in due course if he can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villauk said:

@wowzz confirmed on his Easter cruise that Malbec was available on Sky. @Eglesbrech would you enquire if it’s still available since the dry dock please (I know you’d mentioned shortages of some items)? I only ask as there was not one bottle on Enchanted last year and I’ll bring my own if it’s gone off the wine offerings again. TIA.

No I haven’t seen Malbec even on the menu to ask for. It’s a red I used to enjoy in Alfredo’s. Princess now seems to be focused on mainly generic or Californian wines.

• Thanks 1

Medical emergency onboard so the ship has slowed down to evacuate the poor soul who is sick.  The Captain has announced that we are likely to be a bit delayed tomorrow, in case anyone is following the ships progress.

We seem to be turning round.

Here is hoping that all is well with the person who is poorly.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, villauk said:

I had a glass of Malbec in the Crown Grill tonight and my husband has had it in the MDR. Can be more specific than ‘Malbec’ though. 

This is my first Princess cruise having done 11 with Cunard. Some things like the room, the buffet and medallion (so good for travelling in a group) I really like. Others like slow service, fairly uninspired menus and general crowdedness I haven’t. 

I have my toddler with me and the staff have been excellent with her. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tacticalbanjo said:

I had a glass of Malbec in the Crown Grill tonight and my husband has had it in the MDR. Can be more specific than ‘Malbec’ though. 

This is my first Princess cruise having done 11 with Cunard. Some things like the room, the buffet and medallion (so good for travelling in a group) I really like. Others like slow service, fairly uninspired menus and general crowdedness I haven’t. 

I have my toddler with me and the staff have been excellent with her. 

Thank you so much for replying 👍. Have a super cruise.

1 hour ago, david63 said:

What time was that? Just trying to be prepared for next week!

Formal night at about 6.30pm. Other nights have been easier for pre dinner drinks but that night Take 5 was closed off, it may not be next week for you. It’s usually a good place to find a seat.

HI - Sailing on the Sky Princess on the 13th May, in a day and a halves time and I Just noticed that I need a Jacket dry cleaned. I don't want to chance next day cleaning here in my village in case it is not ready to pick up tomorrow..

Does any one know  if there's a dry cleaning (rather than laundry) service aboard and if so how much for a Mans Suit jacket to be dry cleaned?

Thanks in advance

37 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Formal night at about 6.30pm. Other nights have been easier for pre dinner drinks

Thanks - will just have to ready early!!

7 minutes ago, Glide said:

Does any one know  if there's a dry cleaning (rather than laundry) service aboard

Cannot say specifically for Sky Princess but cruise ships do not normally have dry cleaning as on land although they do have a type of cleaning

19 hours ago, tacticalbanjo said:

Others like slow service, fairly uninspired menus and general crowdedness I haven’t. 

I have to agree with your comments. I’m glad I’m not alone in that assessment.

We have done many great cruises on Princess (and Cunard as well by the way) and this one is sub par. I like Princess as a brand (we have more cruises booked) and hope this is just a one off issue.

I have to acknowledge that the staff on Sky work incredibly hard, always have a smile and any service issues are not their fault. Slow service is down to too many passengers and too few staff.

It has improved a bit as the week has gone on but I paid for a full week of good cruising, not just the later part. The app still does not work fully and staff are noting cabins on scraps of paper. I have had to phone reception to remove erroneous charges which would not happen if staff could check pictures against cabin numbers.

Out on the balcony in the sun (yes sunny today, hurrah) and the evening canapés have just been deliver. They are actually pretty decent compared to most cruise lines.The seared tuna is really tasty.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, tacticalbanjo said:

Thanks for clarifying re the wine. I have only been looking at the premier wines I took a photograph of, as menus are rare as hens teeth so I clearly missed it. Glad you caught that.😀

Just now, gah_cruise said:

what parts of the app are not working?

Ordering snacks or drinks etc. Sometimes they come. Other times it goes through order/ preparation/ delivery but never actually comes. Acknowledged by management as an issue, it crashes from time to time.

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

Ordering snacks or drinks etc. Sometimes they come. Other times it goes through order/ preparation/ delivery but never actually comes. Acknowledged by management as an issue, it crashes from time to time.

sheesh it was like that last year on Enchanted.....

Can I just highlight one thing that I cannot fault on this cruise, the main evening entertainment.

The production shows have been excellent (glad however I have reserved seats).

The singer and comedians have also been excellent. The comedian last night, John Ryan was so very funny. He was clean and used gentle observational comedy which had the whole theatre laughing out loud. I would describe him as like Billy Connelly but without the swearing and that’s high praise from me. If you get the chance to see him then take it.

Edited by Eglesbrech
Y
  • Thanks 2