Geiranger Bus Tour Question

I am looking at the bus tour that goes to the top of Mt Dalsnibba in Geiranger and wanted more information on what the actual drive is like getting to the top.  I know it’s a winding road with hairpin turns but are there deep drop offs?  Are there guardrails?  I don’t deal with heights very well and barely survived the drive up and down in Montenegro.  I’d like to do this tour but don’t want to be scared.  

1 minute ago, Torquer said:

I haven't been on that excursion, but you might want to ask your question here to get more replies:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/148-british-isleswestern-europe/

I assume any cruise line's excursion from Geiranger to Mt. Dalsnibba would take the same road.

I did - thanks 

If I decide to go on this route on a bus, I will definitely need to take meclizine (motion sickness med) unless I was the one driving!  It would be worth it for the views at the top though!!  Heights from inside a vehicle don't bother me fortunately.

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

@Skicruiser55

Smart decision! I've driven on roads like that more than I care to remember, and every time I've done it I've thanked my lucky stars I made it to my destination alive.

And I've only driven regular passenger cars on such roads. The taller the vehicle, the higher the center of gravity, and thus the greater the "tippability" factor. A bus, RV, or tall van is much more susceptible to strong crosswinds and other factors that can throw a vehicle off course. As a longtime mountain hiker I've seen some awe-inspiring sights, but I prefer to keep my feet on the ground.

Jim

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Skicruiser55 said:

I am looking at the bus tour that goes to the top of Mt Dalsnibba in Geiranger and wanted more information on what the actual drive is like getting to the top.  I know it’s a winding road with hairpin turns but are there deep drop offs?  Are there guardrails?  I don’t deal with heights very well and barely survived the drive up and down in Montenegro.  I’d like to do this tour but don’t want to be scared.  

We did this and my husband is not good with heights - but we did OK. He had the window and I was inside (I don't like cliffs either). It was certainly not the worst tour bus drive  we have had (in terms of fear), but one of (if not "the") most worthwhile to suck it up for.

I am also not great with motion so I took Ginger root before hand (not sure I needed it)

9 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Here’s one picture of part of the road. I have other videos that are more illustrative. This is only part way up on the first road, up Dilsnabba.

IMG_6776.thumb.jpeg.6a2ef4d3e2f4a80b3f96375e882b3c3f.jpeg

I remember that road. Somewhere along the way, they do a photo op so you can get a picture of your ship in the fjord.  When we did the tour, a woman asked to get off at that point because she was too afraid to continue. She figured she could probably get a taxi back down from the nearby hotel. The turns up to that point were nothing compared to what we had farther along the way, so she made a good call. 

One of my favorite pictures of DH and me is at that stop, with QE2 and the fjord in the background.

I agree that the drivers are great. So are the guides. As the roads get twistier, the jokes come faster and faster to keep people distracted.