Check on typical older teen counts on Equinox during holidays

chiguypaul

Typically my family is on RCL, but we are looking at taking the Equinox the week of the 4th of July holiday. We will have my 17 year old son with me. He doesn't need all of the things like rock climbing, flow riders, planned teen activities, etc like on RCL. He's very good with connecting with people and social. Only concern I have is the quantity of older teens. I'm sure there will be fewer, but are we talking like ten or twenty? Exactly how sparse are teens on Celebrity during holiday related sailings - even 4th of July.  Thanks! 

I don't think July 4 is going to attract any more or less people than any other summer cruise since school is already out.  Theoretically there will be more kids when schools aren't in session but hard to say how many your son's age.  Maybe check the roll call for the sailing and see if there are families with teens going?  Alaska & Med in summer tend to attract lots of family groups so I think Caribbean has a fair shot of doing the same.

"Holiday" sailings with increases in kids are more typically considered Thanksgiving, Christmas/New Years and winter or spring school breaks.  X has treated Independence Day in the past more or less like any other day with maybe some themed food events or pool party but nothing over the top.

• Thanks 1

We went on the Equinox last summer (mid to late June) and that sailing had a good size group of teens, I believe 120-150. My daughter (then 14) had no problem meeting other teens. There was a good group of younger and older teens. Naturally, she palled around with 13-15 age group, but sometimes a large group with the older kids (some siblings of younger my daughter was with) would gather in Sky Lounge. For reference that was a 6 night cruise out of Ft Lauderdale with stops to Key West, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman.

Just got off of Beyond over daughter’s spring break (April 9-16) they had 100 teens onboard. The previous cruise, 400. My daughter, now 15, hung out with 14-17 year olds. Even though this sailing had a smaller amount of teens, the kids all really connected and had fun. 

I think with summer and holiday week (parents needing less vacation days since they may already have 4th off) your son will likely not have a problem finding teens to connect with. 

And my daughter is like your son, doesn’t need all the bells and whistles of a RCL ship. She likes them, but prefers just chilling out with other kids playing ping pong, cards, or hanging out at pool and Oceanview Cafe.

Edited by FlyGal25

Your teen will be very bored on this cruise.  Majority of live music put us to sleep.  Not enough activities either.  

We just finished a 10 day on her and there was probably 15 kids under 8 and maybe 5 teens on board from what we saw.

Definitely not a kids atmosphere.

• Thanks 1

There should be several teens during that week as the shorter holiday cruises tend to draw more families. We did the Easter week cruise on the Summit and there were a lot of teens on that one. The Equinox has X-Club which is located next to a basketball court and a video arcade room. There are always planned activities for teens in X-Club such as silent disco, game shows, etc. My daughter went to a few of the planned activities and met some other teens and they attended other ship activities together during the cruise so even if he doesn't like the planned activities it's a good way to meet people. My almost 16 daughter loves Celebrity as it gives her some variety but not the theme park atmosphere of other lines.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2023 at 7:23 PM, bEwAbG said:

don't think July 4 is going to attract any more or less people than any other summer cruise since school is already out.

Not in the UK.

Our school summer holidays start  usually mid to end of July.

18 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Just wondering where is the cruise?  If in Europe there will be few kids.  Alaska many more.  Kids camp good for youngsters.  Little of interest for older teens on Celebrity.  My teens were bored even in Alaska on board.

Equinox is in the Caribbean until April 2024.

Edited by FlyGal25

I was on Solstice over Easter break a few weeks ago with my 14 and 15 year olds. There were probably about a dozen or so other teens onboard. Quite a few toddlers/ younger kids but not a lot of teens/older kids.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Your teen will be very bored on this cruise.  Majority of live music put us to sleep.  Not enough activities either.  

We just finished a 10 day on her and there was probably 15 kids under 8 and maybe 5 teens on board from what we saw.

Definitely not a kids atmosphere.

Celebrity Equinox has the X Club for teens as well as the basketball court. Not to mention silent disco, ping pong, shuffleboard, putting green, bocce ball, game room, and the pool/hot tub. Teens actually can have a really good time on Equinox. Read my post above, my daughter was with a large group and they even went to the trivia games onboard in the Sky Lounge. They didn't mind that it was geared for their parents, they still had a blast! 

You went on a 10 day during the school year. Longer than 7 days and when school is in session is going to have far fewer kids/teens. In that situation, yes it would be harder to find peers to pal around with. 

OP said they are going during the summer holiday over 4th of July and Equinox is on a 6 night Caribbean then. There will be a lot more than 5 teens. 

• Like 1