Fewer Onboard Activities on HAL?

41 minutes ago, ldtr said:

I am still waiting for a zydeco band.

I worked for LSU for a couple of years.

Zydeco would probably be met with enthusiasm.  First date with DH was  neville Bros at Tipitina. 2nd date was at a local zydeco dance hall in Bunch village.  Even that Yankee farmer tapped  his feet 

Edited by Mary229

On 5/7/2023 at 4:01 AM, BobbiSox said:

I find that a lot of the activites consisit of the passengers entertaining themselves, for example, trivia is very popular, although it isn't something that interests me. 

Trivia contests are a cheap way of entertaining passengers, sometimes they don’t even give out prizes.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Trivia contests are a cheap way of entertaining passengers, sometimes they don’t even give out prizes.

We got the  person leading the Trivia for HAL to give out pins  .They have them ,just ask 

52 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

The prize is the pride in how well you did. 

But those ships on a stick from Carnival are a nice reminder of how well you did.

3 hours ago, ExpatBride said:

The onboard experience matched the elegance of their white and navy ships.

I was committed to HAL for that step back to a more elegant time that they provided. I haven't sailed since before Covid (personal choice) and I hope that at least glimmers of the former HAL exist on my upcoming summer sailing. Classic doesn't have to mean stodgy and outdated.

I think you'll still be very pleased--my family was with our two most recent HAL cruises.  If you read some threads here on CC, you would think there are fewer activities on a HAL ship than on a cargo vessel--that's simply not true.  And there are still much more than glimmers of the former HAL; overall I think you'll find the experience largely mirrors what you're used to.

• Like 1

And I also think HAL still does a wonderful job with keeping those blue and white vessels looking spic-and-span.  We pulled up next to a Princess ship in one port last summer and my 10 year-old was disgusted at the rust and filth on it.  It really did look bad, particularly in comparison.

Edited by iceman93
Started as a duplicate post but then I added another thought
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, iceman93 said:

And I also think HAL still does a wonderful job with keeping those blue and white vessels looking spic-and-span.  We pulled up next to a Princess ship in one port last summer and my 10 year-old was disgusted at the rust and filth on it.  It really did look bad, particularly in comparison.

DH is a former Royal Navy man and really appreciates the cleanliness and obvious attention to the maintenance of all the HAL ships we've sailed on so far.  We're back on board on Sunday after an enforced break of a couple of years and just can't wait.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We got the  person leading the Trivia for HAL to give out pins  .They have them ,just ask 

On the first leg of our 14 day cruise there were no prizes for trivia until the very last day, when the staffer said the winning team would get Asia pins and a free drink. As it so happened, there were fewer teams than usual (people were probably packing?) and I managed my first victory, so they got away with giving out just one pin. 😉

(I had the HIA package but I allowed HAL to buy me a drink anyway. 😆)

• Like 2

We had a delightful HAL cast member on our 31 days on the Rotterdam who oversaw virtually all of the trivia and games. Her name was Leanne and she was heading to the Koningsdam right after we disembarked. Instead of prizes, winners won a picture of themselves with a Willy Magee Bobblehead. Silly but fun. 

I just wish there were three or four Leannes on every ship! 😀

Edited by canadarocks
  • Like 1

It is sad they don’t have prizes.  I remember when I took my father in law on a cruise when we boarded he asked what to do with himself for 10 days.  I took him to a display case with all of the available prizes and said I want one of each.  He got to it and by the end of the cruise I had at least one of each.  He joined every game, every tournament, every activity that had a prize.  I have about 5 NCL dice keychains from that cruise.  He had a wonderful time.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

On the first leg of our 14 day cruise there were no prizes for trivia until the very last day, when the staffer said the winning team would get Asia pins and a free drink. As it so happened, there were fewer teams than usual (people were probably packing?) and I managed my first victory, so they got away with giving out just one pin. 😉

(I had the HIA package but I allowed HAL to buy me a drink anyway. 😆)

So as a single cruiser, you ended the cruise being pinned. 😉