Alaska 2025

tigger54

When will the 2025 summer Alaska cruises show up? Also, this will be my first Alaska cruise ( have cruised many other places), which ship would you recommend and Why? Would you suggest a land and sea tour or just the cruise and do land on our own. I don’t really know too much about the Alaska cruise so any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any must do excursions?
Thank you

Choose the itinerary you like the best and just make sure you are prepared for 150-300 a person for excursions with some being even more expensive if you want a sea plane or helicopter ride. Personally I would rank sitka and skagway as top ports to get to with Juneau behind them and Ketchikan last. I have never been to Anchorage/Whittier (that will be my next Alaska cruise. 

Compare the HAL Alaska options with what Princess offers before you book anything and compare non-ship excursions with what the ship offers.

For instance, in Sitka, take a look at other excursions before just booking the Yukon & Whitehorse RR trip.  I did a bus tour (Skagway Shore Excursion: Yukon Discovery Tour 2023 (viator.com) that went up the valley into the Yukon Territory (crossing into Canada) and we were able to stop at a lot of places just to take pictures.  We could see the railroad climbing the tracks across the valley, and while I'll probably do that tour the next time I'm in Skagway, I enjoyed seeing more that what was on the railroad.

I was also there in late September so one of the last cruises to call in Skagway for last season, so the town was not overwhelmed with cruise ship passengers.

While most people say chose a Grand Class ship, I love the Royal class ships.  
Not sure when they will release the itineraries for 2025 but, I’d choose one that includes Glacier Bay.  
I’m partial to sailing out of San Francisco because it’s right here in our backyard, but if you have to fly anyway, there are some great ships and itineraries leaving out of Seattle and Vancouver.  Embarkation in Vancouver can be kind of chaotic at times.  

Alaska is the one itinerary where, if you normally would book an inside cabin, I would highly recommend splurging on a balcony cabin.  Another reason to like the Royal class ships is that they have some ‘obstructed balcony’ cabins that have very little obstruction (midship, deck eight)  and they are comparatively economical.  Some even have huge balconies.  

I think the Mendenhall Glacier is a must do for Juneau if it’s a one and done Alaska cruise.  

Whale watching is also a great excursion, especially if you cruise includes Icy Strait Point. 

If you go to Sitka, I think it is well worth it to go to Fortress of the Bear, the Raptor Center and the fish ladder right in town.  
The White Pass Railroad is a very popular excursion in Skagway.  The sled dogs and mining for gold (never found there) are also interesting things to do there.  
In Ketchikan, we loved the Lumberjack show .. maybe kind of kiddish, but as adults, we enjoyed it at well.  You take a take a walk along Creek Street and hike up Married Man’s Trail, too.  I understand there is a great totem pole museum within walking distance of the pier that you could do on your own.  

If you stop in Victoria, I recommend going to Beacon Hill Park.  It’s like a mini Butchart Gardens and free of charge.

And for Alaska, it may be warm, it may be cold, it may be rainy and it could be very windy, so layering is key to keeping warm and dry.  We’ve been where the sleet felt like it was cutting through our skin but also gone when it was nearly 80° .. so sunscreen is as important as an umbrella.  Also, if you plan on hiking in the woods, take some big repellent wipes for your exposed skin.  

One last thing, they will have rangers or naturalists on the ship .. listen to their advice about hiking safely in the woods.  

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great advice and ideas. We live in SC so will be flying for sure. Just not sure where to take the cruise out of. We normally get an inside or ocean view cabin but everything I have read says get a balcony. Is that a must? We don’t normally spend much time in the room. We both like to be out and about during the day.

Do the smaller ships have better itineraries? I did read where Holland and Celebrity both also do great cruises to Alaska. So much to figure out. This will be our only Alaskan cruise so want to make it the best. We are retired so a longer one would be great also.

14 minutes ago, tigger54 said:

Thanks for all the great advice and ideas. We live in SC so will be flying for sure. Just not sure where to take the cruise out of. We normally get an inside or ocean view cabin but everything I have read says get a balcony. Is that a must? We don’t normally spend much time in the room. We both like to be out and about during the day.

Do the smaller ships have better itineraries? I did read where Holland and Celebrity both also do great cruises to Alaska. So much to figure out. This will be our only Alaskan cruise so want to make it the best. We are retired so a longer one would be great also.

Princess royal class ships don't have oceanview cabins (well the Discovery has a few, but they are as expensive as balcony cabins).  Other ships are the Royal and Majestic - no oceanview cabins, but a nice assortment of obstructed balconies which are fine for scenic cruising.

For more scenic cruise, sail from Vancouver RT.  For more convenience with customs etc, sail out of Seattle. 

Most alaska ships RT from Seattle or Vancouver share similar ports.  RT Vancouver cruises on the Sapphire, Crown, or Grand have scenic sailing between Vancouver Island (note that Vancouver BC, is not on Vancouver island) and the mainland. 

While Victoria is a nice port, on any RT Seattle cruise you'll only get 4 hours at most, so if you have a great desire to explore Victoria, don't count on being able to see much unless you find a shoulder season coastal cruise, or take a ferry from Vancouver or Seattle to victoria the day before or after your voyage.  Vancouver cruises don't stop in Victoria.

21 hours ago, tigger54 said:

We normally get an inside or ocean view cabin but everything I have read says get a balcony. Is that a must?

Only *you* can answer the question as to whether it fits your budget...but if you can swing it I would highly recommend a balcony!  We have done Alaska 3 times now, all with a booked balcony or mini-suite.  Many people like to get out and about when near the glaciers.  We prefer to sit on the balcony with the sliding door open and the TV tuned to the bridge channel which is how you can hear the park ranger (or naturalist) give running commentary about what can be seen.  Yes, you *may* miss some sights that are on the other side of the ship...but the ship will turn around and you'll see what you missed on the way out.  The balcony perch is very peaceful and relaxing, without having to push and jockey for position to see out of a glass window or barrier.  (They *always* seem to need washing...so you won't get great pictures there.)  On your balcony however, you get the best camera inages possible.

On 5/8/2023 at 3:45 PM, cruisingrob21 said:

Vancouver cruises don't stop in Victoria.

This isn't exclusively true. I am doing an 11 day RT on the Crown out of Vancouver this June, and we stop in Victoria from noon to 10pm before arriving back in Vancouver the next day.

49 minutes ago, EricaAH said:

This isn't exclusively true. I am doing an 11 day RT on the Crown out of Vancouver this June, and we stop in Victoria from noon to 10pm before arriving back in Vancouver the next day.

Agree with your post.  We are doing the 11-day cruise on the Crown but in July.  One of the reasons we chose the cruise was for the great port options and times.  Our Victoria stop is 9 AM - 10 PM.

On 5/8/2023 at 3:45 PM, cruisingrob21 said:

While Victoria is a nice port, on any RT Seattle cruise you'll only get 4 hours at most, so if you have a great desire to explore Victoria, don't count on being able to see much unless you find a shoulder season coastal cruise, or take a ferry from Vancouver or Seattle to victoria the day before or after your voyage.  Vancouver cruises don't stop in Victoria.

I am doing an 11 night RT Vancouver cruise this week and I have a full day there (9 am to 10 pm) the day before disembarking.

Princess opened up their 2024 Alaska bookings the week of December 5, 2022.  Who knows if Princess will follow the same pattern this year for the 2025 Alaska cruises!  I’d suggest watching posts on Cruise Critic in the fall, as sometimes travel agents will have advance notice of the release dates..

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 2:02 PM, tigger54 said:

When will the 2025 summer Alaska cruises show up?

I asked the future cruise planner folks this question last week while onboard Discovery and they said they're actually expecting them as early as June/July this year. I was surprised because last year it was in December, and historically it feels like it's been November, but they told me they have reason to believe it will be earlier... but didn't give the reason!