Guys fries are generic…here’s proof!

CeleBrat

7 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

I hate to break it to you....but don't worry; I'll catch you.

"Too much waste" - The company that prints thousands of photos and $0.00 receipts every cruise that are simply thrown away

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mz-s said:

Laugh while you can, folks. One day your favorite menu item or perk will be gone (or maybe it already is and you're down to your 5th or 6th favorite, just hoping Carnival doesn't cut any more) and everyone will mock you for mentioning it.

That's exactly right, mz-s.  While it may not be a deal breaker, we're seeing a lot of cutbacks in quality.  One of the cutbacks on Cruise Critic is in courtesy, which you deserve plenty of.

Thank you for all of your contributions.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, JCrewz said:

That's exactly right, mz-s.  While it may not be a deal breaker, we're seeing a lot of cutbacks in quality.  One of the cutbacks on Cruise Critic is in courtesy, which you deserve plenty of.

Thank you for all of your contributions.

I try to be fair - firm, but fair - in my criticism of Carnival. And I hope that my plaudits are recognized as well. Thanks for recognizing my efforts.

Guys in Phoenix is good but not great. I'll eat the free burger and fries but prefer the Trash Can Nachos that they serve in Pig & Anchor (now I'll be sad if you tell me they no longer serve these) 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TreyB said:

It’s french fries. We’re talking…french fries. 

French fries. 

It’s just half the stewards. It’s just room service. It’s just most of the sea day brunch menu. It’s just it’s just it’s just. A cutback is a cutback. You may not care but others do and their opinions are just as valid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you guys are mostly overreacting to supply chain issues. It’s very likely they simply can’t get the fries they are used to serving. I work in a hospital and we are lucky to get ANY brand of whatever it is we are trying to order. Half the time we just get straight up stiffed and told there was even no substitutions available. I’m trying to imagine the amount of fries they need to supply all their ships and can only imagine the absolute headache it is to get an adequate supplier in todays world. It’s simply not that easy anymore. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TreyB said:

“Hey honey, I can’t wait until we sail in two weeks. So excited!”

”Well, calm yourself down. Guys Burgers now has generic fries. Generic fries. Can you believe it?”

lol...luv the sarcasm...ur a funny person Trey 😂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mz-s said:

It’s just half the stewards. It’s just room service. It’s just most of the sea day brunch menu. It’s just it’s just it’s just. A cutback is a cutback. You may not care but others do and their opinions are just as valid.

Sure, one can focus on the all of the changes, or one can focus on the overall experience and in the last three cruises (with one just recently completed) the overall experience has been good to great. Has everything been the exact same as it was when we first cruised on Carnival in 2012? Nope. But then what is the same anywhere as it was in 2012? One can focus on what was lost or one can focus on what one still has. Carnival is still the Fun Ships. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Sure, one can focus on the all of the changes, or one can focus on the overall experience and in the last three cruises (with one just recently completed) the overall experience has been good to great. Has everything been the exact same as it was when we first cruised on Carnival in 2012? Nope. But then what is the same anywhere as it was in 2012? One can focus on what was lost or one can focus on what one still has. Carnival is still the Fun Ships. 

Great Post!

Frozen fries are actually better. To properly get the crunchy snap everyone likes, the raw fries have to be soaked and rinsed to get rid of starch, then be "par fried" of partially fried in high temp oil, only for a few seconds, and then cooled, then fried one final time at service. 

Very time killing as well as space killing. 

That's what they do before freezing, then they only need one quick fry out of the freezer bag at service.

Raw potato fries can also be very inconsistent which is another issue. 

Edited by EngIceDave
brainfart
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes Carnival is definitely still a good value and still has a good product. But I do think it is fair to point out things they could do better. Everyone sees things differently.

20 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

Frozen fries are actually better. To properly get the crunchy snap everyone likes, the raw fries have to be soaked and rinsed to get rid of starch, then be "par fried" of partially fried in high temp oil, only for a few seconds, and then cooled, then fried one final time at service. 

Very time killing as well as space killing. 

That's what they do before freezing, then they only need one quick fry out of the freezer bag at service.

Raw potato fries can also be very inconsistent which is another issue. 

Guy's fries before weren't crunchy at all, they were more like Five Guys vs. Wendy's if you are familiar with the two. It's really personal preference.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Yes Carnival is definitely still a good value and still has a good product. But I do think it is fair to point out things they could do better. Everyone sees things differently.

Guy's fries before weren't crunchy at all, they were more like Five Guys vs. Wendy's if you are familiar with the two. It's really personal preference.

I prefer my fries a bit on the "limp" side - but, when in Rome, I guess I can manage others... with MUSTARD !!!

Tom

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

There's a far cry between "pointing out things they could do better" and complaining about each and every small change. Carnival has decided, based on information that they have and that we don't, that a change is needed. A lot of things impact these decisions, again, things known to Carnival but not to us. Taking for instance, the mushroom issue noted above. It is entirely possible that the folks manning Guy's noted that 90% of the mushrooms they put out during the day go unused (and this example is completely made up, I have no idea what drove the decision to eliminate them). If that is so then it would make perfect sense for Carnival to eliminate them since they aren't that popular. Yes, to those who love shrooms (and I am in the camp) that's going to be a change for the "worst", but based on the data available to Carnival it's the best decision overall. At the end of the day what matters most is that Carnival still is a good value and a good product.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

There's a far cry between "pointing out things they could do better" and complaining about each and every small change. Carnival has decided, based on information that they have and that we don't, that a change is needed. A lot of things impact these decisions, again, things known to Carnival but not to us. Taking for instance, the mushroom issue noted above. It is entirely possible that the folks manning Guy's noted that 90% of the mushrooms they put out during the day go unused (and this example is completely made up, I have no idea what drove the decision to eliminate them). If that is so then it would make perfect sense for Carnival to eliminate them since they aren't that popular. Yes, to those who love shrooms (and I am in the camp) that's going to be a change for the "worst", but based on the data available to Carnival it's the best decision overall. At the end of the day what matters most is that Carnival still is a good value and a good product.

I guess I just expect more out of Carnival than most on here. 

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

I guess I just expect more out of Carnival than most on here. 

I expect what I've always expected and you've articulated that- a good value and a good product. The changes that have been made don't change that in any significant way.

• Like 1

Some of this is so depressing, I think I am going to cancel our cruise leaving Monday!

Not!

Can't wait to have any style fries on the ship with my burger!

Can't wait to sit down without any table clothes......

I just can't wait to get on the ship and enjoy the time with my wife after the past 3 years we have had.

The only thing that upsets us on a cruise is ignorant and obnoxious passengers.

There is far too much to enjoy then not to enjoy!

Bring on the generic Fries! YUM!

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

Can't wait to sit down without any table clothes......

Even though there might not be any tablecloths I'm pretty sure you still have to wear clothes.  😉

J/K

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

44 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Even though there might not be any tablecloths I'm pretty sure you still have to wear clothes.  😉

J/K

Hey wait, I must be on the wrong cruise, I thought I read they were optional! 

🙂

• Haha 1

I just had the fries 2 weeks ago and I didn't dislike them, no they aren't the same as they used to be but they weren't horrible. I did miss the mushrooms more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sanmarcosman said:

That's the reason the mushrooms were 86'd from Guy's condiment bar. 

Uh, no.  Someone else already posted that they said they took them away because no one ate them.  As I said, I only took a little bit because I knew they were meant to be a topping.

BRING them back!  I'll chow them all down.

I can see it though because mushrooms are a very dividing food,  a LOT of people do not like them.

I can tell you I never saw the mushrooms empty... now the bacon crumbles they pulled too.  That was empty all the time!