🛳️ Live (hopefully) from Crown Princess May 12 - 23

Coral

5 hours ago, Coral said:

This is for you! He said you two are the best! Obviously I am not in his section 🙂

IMG_2078.jpeg

WOW, Mahalo. He was the best!! Can't Thank-you enough for this. We'll definitely save this photo. That's fantastic.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

Thank you @Coral for this informative report. Any advice or tips you find about how to navigate dining as a single would be appreciated. Perhaps you will find one specific dining room or manager who can help you do this. I will be replicating your current cruise in Alaska on Crown in August.

TIA-looking forward to reading more about your adventures.

This is a tricky question and so far, I have not navigated this well.

First - I am actually an introvert. I am fine with eating by myself. Right now with COVID going on, I would prefer to not eat with strangers but I am fine with eating with those I have met on CC (and I have shared a few meals with them). It may not make much sense but this where I am.

I really do not want to walk up to a dining room and "share a table". I may think differently if I recently had recovered from COVID and had some natural immunity. I am still wearing a mask in Princess Theatre and Club (con)Fusion.

When I was traveling with a friend - we had a table for 2 reserved every night. When my friend cancelled, I cancelled those as I didn't want to be tied to a specific time. I wish I had kept those reservations as I can't make any reservations at this point for a private table.

If you are ok sharing a table - you will be fine. They seem to have a lot of large tables. If you want your own table, reserve it now in the Princess app. Otherwise, you will be standing in line unless you go very early or very late.

I did speak to a manager at lunch today. He basically said "first come, first serve" for private tables for 2. He was very kind and apologized that the majority of tables they have are large tables. I patiently waited for a table. At some point today (around 12:30ish), there were 10 singles or couples waiting for a private table for lunch.

I hope you have an amazing cruise. For me - this dining situation won't make or break the cruise. On my last few cruises, we had pre-arranged a private table and on this, I cancelled my reservation which I now realize wasn't the best.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

This is a tricky question and so far, I have not navigated this well.

First - I am actually an introvert. I am fine with eating by myself. Right now with COVID going on, I would prefer to not eat with strangers but I am fine with eating with those I have met on CC (and I have shared a few meals with them). It may not make much sense but this where I am.

I really do not want to walk up to a dining room and "share a table". I may think differently if I recently had recovered from COVID and had some natural immunity. I am still wearing a mask in Princess Theatre and Club (con)Fusion.

When I was traveling with a friend - we had a table for 2 reserved every night. When my friend cancelled, I cancelled those as I didn't want to be tied to a specific time. I wish I had kept those reservations as I can't make any reservations at this point for a private table.

If you are ok sharing a table - you will be fine. They seem to have a lot of large tables. If you want your own table, reserve it now in the Princess app. Otherwise, you will be standing in line unless you go very early or very late.

I did speak to a manager at lunch today. He basically said "first come, first serve" for private tables for 2. He was very kind and apologized that the majority of tables they have are large tables. I patiently waited for a table. At some point today (around 12:30ish), there were 10 singles or couples waiting for a private table for lunch.

I hope you have an amazing cruise. For me - this dining situation won't make or break the cruise. On my last few cruises, we had pre-arranged a private table and on this, I cancelled my reservation which I now realize wasn't the best.

Thank you for your comments. I hope things settle down to a reasonable option for you. I will book my table now...I am still looking forward to your future reports. 💖

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Italy52 said:

@Coral, did you get your power strip back?

I spoke with Security and he asked what I was going to plug into it. I basically said laptop, phone and my Apple Watch. He is going to get back to me today.

I am getting around it by plugging my laptop into an outlet behind the tv. I have seen cube USB plugins on Amazon. They are tiny and I will probably by that in the future and bring it in my carry on. I have used this other one for 20 plus years of cruising.

LINK for travel cube

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

I spoke with Security and he asked what I was going to plug into it. I basically said laptop, phone and my Apple Watch. He is going to get back to me today.

I am getting around it by plugging my laptop into an outlet behind the tv. I have seen cube USB plugins on Amazon. They are tiny and I will probably by that in the future and bring it in my carry on. I have used this other one for 20 plus years of cruising.

https://www.amazon.com 

Good grief.  By the time a decision is made by Security, you will be half way through your cruise.  I hope someone has an answer for you today.

5 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Good grief.  By the time a decision is made by Security, you will be half way through your cruise.  I hope someone has an answer for you today.

I don't know why Amazon link didn't go to the product. I am disappointed but am getting by. It will be fine.

image.png

• Like 1

There is a nightlight of sort that is taking up a very valuable outlet space that I believe used to be an outlet that I would plug hair devices into (curling iron, hair dryer, etc...). It is directly in front of the mirror. I think if that was 2 outlets, it would help a lot! image.thumb.jpeg.4abf796ccb3c23109324957b6c12e801.jpeg I think this is why it seems challenging when previously - it really wasn't that bad.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Coral said:

There is a nightlight of sort that is taking up a very valuable outlet space that I believe used to be an outlet that I would plug hair devices into (curling iron, hair dryer, etc...). It is directly in front of the mirror. I think if that was 2 outlets, it would help a lot! image.thumb.jpeg.4abf796ccb3c23109324957b6c12e801.jpeg I think this is why it seems challenging when previously - it really wasn't that bad.

Is there any sort of outlet to use for a hair dryer or curling iron?  Is the cabin hair dryer a wall mount?

Just now, Italy52 said:

Is there any sort of outlet to use for a hair dryer or curling iron?  Is the cabin hair dryer a wall mount?

I will post a pic later. Behind phone is 2 outlets but I can only use one at a time due to apple chargers. The hair dryer is mounted on wall. The newish nightlight is under mirror. I believe that was 2 outlets before.

Laptop is plugged in behind tv.

• Like 1

@Coral Are you a coffee fanatic? I discovered a hidden gem on Majestic last week for coffees, the ones you pay for...lattes, cappuccinos,  etc. On deck 7 at the Princess live bar. 

I know that the Royal class ships have that option, however, I am wondering where I will find another, lesser-known location, for my dose of morning caffeine. At the International cafe, there are usually long lines to order, and waiting times. 

If you find an alternate spot to order these coffees, please let me know. Perhaps Coffee and Cones on deck 15? TIA

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Coral said:

Day 2 - I went to Rachel Moreno's presentation at 9 am - she is from Sitka and gave a great presentation. She gets off the ship tomorrow in Sitka. Her talk was unique and I enjoyed.

Rachel Cartwright was at 10:00. She is on the ship for a few cruises. Her 2018 book is sold in the store and the map is sold separately if you already have the book. She is a fantastic speaker.

19 hours ago, Coral said:

We supposedly have the most speakers on any cruise in Alaska right now.

I board the Crown on June 23.   I sincerely hope we are so fortunate with speakers on my cruise.  For Alaska they really do make such a difference

Many many thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us!

• Like 5

Hello, I love following your journey on the Crown Princess this week. I was on her last week from Vancouver to Alaska round trip for her first Alaska cruise of the season. Whether was heavenly in all 3 ports. 

Edited by funlvnggal
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Coral said:

I don't know why Amazon link didn't go to the product. I am disappointed but am getting by. It will be fine.

image.png

I've been using a travel cube for years to charge my phone etc and find it to be excellent as you only need to find one wall plug. 

I'm really enjoying following your trip. I'll be on board on June 2 and can't wait! Thanks for taking the time to post your report. 🛳️

5 hours ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

@Coral Are you a coffee fanatic? I discovered a hidden gem on Majestic last week for coffees, the ones you pay for...lattes, cappuccinos,  etc. On deck 7 at the Princess live bar. 

I know that the Royal class ships have that option, however, I am wondering where I will find another, lesser-known location, for my dose of morning caffeine. At the International cafe, there are usually long lines to order, and waiting times. 

If you find an alternate spot to order these coffees, please let me know. Perhaps Coffee and Cones on deck 15? TIA

Thanks! Is it open all day? We sail the Royal next week so I'm hoping we have it as well.

I believe that the buffet pastry shop also has a specialty coffee area, at least on the Royal (from what I've read).

Edited by SuzieQ521

1 hour ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Thanks! Is it open all day? We sail the Royal next week so I'm hoping we have it as well.

I believe that the buffet pastry shop also has a specialty coffee area, at least on the Royal (from what I've read).

Yes, Princess live bar is open till 11.00pm I think, on Royal class ships. Opens at 7.00am. No lineups there! Shhhh -don't tell too many others.

Edited by CruzeQueen2
adding info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just went through the pics you posted and I see the flat screen is still in the corner on the shelf - they have updated the Ruby and Emerald to rid of that so my question is now answered. Thanks anyway.

• Like 1

I asked how much for Chef's table and how often. They answered $100 with alcohol and $85 with out. They did not answer how many but said I could still sign up.

They are not doing Ultimate Ship's tour yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sitka. 60 Degrees - partly sunny. I had something warmer on and went back to the ship and changed before taking a 15 minute free shuttle into town.

I picked up a tour off of the dock with Baronf Tours. We had 11 of us in a van for 14 (they said they never put more than 12 on it). So not too crowded. I did the Bears, Raptors and Totems Tour:

https://www.baranoftours.com

Our guide's name was Christian Fabian I believe. He was excellent.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

We started at the Alaskan Raptor Center (Rehab center for birds of prey until they can be released again and home to eagles and owls who can not be rehabilitated to be set loose again):

IMG_2139.jpeg

IMG_2142.jpeg

IMG_2144.jpeg

IMG_2146.jpeg

IMG_2164.jpeg

IMG_2169.jpeg

IMG_2175.jpeg

IMG_2181.jpeg

IMG_2183.jpeg

IMG_2187.jpeg

IMG_2190.jpeg

IMG_2192.jpeg

IMG_2197.jpeg

• Like 7

I would suggest a simple Gan charger that can charge multiple devices at a time (including laptops) such as this one. Or the 65w ugreen one which is slightly cheaper. I can easily charge two phones and some smaller item su as an earphones at the same time with these 65w ones. In case that you want to charge two phones and a laptop at the same time, get the more expensive 100w or 140w versionschrome_screenshot_1684110342542.thumb.png.14c96750f48b532bc82e300856e967a7.pngchrome_screenshot_1684110095390.thumb.png.f148cb6cbd65abcf31a34eb86416d98c.png