No Alcohol in any UK ports - what! 😱

ziggyuk

2 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

Hopefully this is the most up to date information as even today people are still being told different things🙄.

He also rang me to confirm that this statement had come through and when asked if this would continue to be the case at future uk ports he said yes.

We’ll see what happens tomorrow with Dawn in Belfast and then again and Star and Dawn get back to Southampton. 

There seems to have been mixed messages received by various agents contacting NCL - some saying no alcohol, only beverage packages, only beer/wine, no issues at all…

who knows 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Your theory may be true, and I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer admittedly. However, I would think NCL would have been given as much notice as any other cruise line and no other lines seem to have been impacted. Maybe there is a multiple country conspiracy against NCL.

P&O bars are and have been wide open. I shared a post over on the P&O Boards with you and asked if you read it and if you believe that to be true, but you didn't respond. Maybe the P&O Board members have a conspiracy against NCL too.

Generally I have found your posts to be quite reasonable, but then when you make vague, sarcastic remarks about a conspiracy, it deters from your otherwise logical approach. That's a pity, actually. I highly doubt it's any conspiracy, but you seem to be dismissing other possibilities. Sure, it's possible NCL screwed up, it's also possible they got caught out (we got multiple citations for my late father-in-law's car which my wife inherited upon his death, the registration had lapsed so the police kept issuing us tickets. Did we "screw up? No, my wife was having a hard time finding the paperwork for the car, the title, etc and then the DMV was effectively closed due to Covid and it took months to get the title transferred and the car properly registered) Do you see what I mean? Someone seeing the car on the street with all the tickets might conclude we were just too cheap or lazy to get it registered, when the full story was MUCH more complicated. So it's possible (not likely, but POSSIBLE) that this issue with NCL in the UK was some bureaucratic snafu. I regret to say I never saw the P&O post to which you refer. I can't say I've ever even been on that site, but it's possible I've visited it once or twice over the past 10 years. I agree with you, by the way, that this isn't a court of law, so the burden of proof is lower. But unless you've missed it, a lot of posters ARE treating it that way by accusing NCL of illegal practices, stealing their money and threatening lawsuits. Sure sounds legal to me.

6 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I agree with you, by the way, that this isn't a court of law, so the burden of proof is lower. But unless you've missed it, a lot of posters ARE treating it that way by accusing NCL of illegal practices, stealing their money and threatening lawsuits. Sure sounds legal to me.

I meant cruise critic isn't a court of law. Yes, if I had paid hundreds of dollars for a premium plus beverage package and thought I didn't get what I paid for, I would enlist the help of various consumer protection agencies. Part of that process would be provide support and proof of my economic losses. Every one is different. I sympathize with anyone who feels they have been cheated and would support them in their case. At the same time, I realize how extremely fortunate we were to only have been impacted by this in Livorno three weeks ago. (We were limited to only beer and cheap wine in Livorno.) People who bough the plus package with the intention of sipping expensive whiskeys and rums were out of luck. We were only in port through 7pm but NCL never opened the full bar menu for the entire night. I do sympathize with those folks because that was extra money they spent and got nothing for it. Might as well flushed it down the toilet.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Greener123 said:

image.thumb.png.84be80d33630978bb94edba946721b13.pngcurrently on Epic out of Spain - back to a previous discussion on here about mischarging the tax when on a package. NCL really don’t seem to be doing themselves any favours with all these dodgy rules in different ports 

We were charged this tax on our prepaid free at sea in February and March on our b2b cruises in both Spanish ports we visited. The card would appear on the bars until we were out of Spanish waters. They should of informed us of the charges before embarking, after nearly 50 cruises with 5 brands this was I think NCL being unfair to their guests.

• Like 1

I no doubt sympathize with anyone who pays for something and doesn't get what he expected. 100% agree on that. But, and maybe this is just me, I always try to frame my disappointment in the context of what went right, too. When I got charged tax (on my already-paid-for beverage package) for drinks in Puerto Rico while were in port, I didn't accuse NCL of cheating me. I learned that US tax law requires the collection of taxes when the ship is docked there. I didn't know that. Let me say that again: I DIDN'T KNOW THAT. I didn't come on Cruise Critic to accuse the cruise line of pulling a fast one, because I understand they were just complying with local regulations. So NCL had done nothing wrong. But I had such a good time and I didn't mind paying a trifling amount for one drink, and I enjoyed my vacation.

2 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:
2 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

I wouldn't blame standard customer service agents at this stage - they have clearly been told from "on high" not to say another word.  The big question is whether NCL are desperately trying to fix the issue behind the scenes, or whether they are just hoping this will blow over.  I don't think it will, and they'll have to address it, or the issue will likely become more viral in terms of Youtube blogs etc. giving them a bad name.  

Standard customer service reps just about everywhere are the last to know, they are given a script and can not deviate from script, total waste of time to even call/chat with them

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Greener123 said:

If you think this is the best NCL can do to fix/explain the issue then I’d really hate to be on the receiving end of their failures in your opinion. 

I said "based on what we know," if other information comes to light, it might change my perception of whether this was the best they could do, or not.

Another wrinkle to this, as I see it, is the following: as far as I can tell, no one sailing in Italy, Greece or the UK has been denied a drink. They've only been disallowed from getting a "FREE" drink, or to put it more accurately, a pre-purchased drink due to the service being suspended on board. But has anyone attempted to go on land to a pub or restaurant and pay for one out of pocket? Is all alcohol forbidden? No. And as I see it, one of the points of going on a cruise is getting off the ship in port, where the beverage package doesn't work, anyway. Heck, NCL doesn't honor the UBP at Harvest Caye at all due to the local regulations. Where's the outrage over that? Back to my point, this isn't really an issue of whether or not passengers can get drinks, but the fact that they might have to pay twice (once by purchasing the beverage package and again on land, should they choose to do so). I've certainly bought cocktails at bars on land before, during a port stop. That's just part of the price of cruising. But here's the thing: Many people who post on CC cruise multiple times a YEAR, and many reserve fancy suite cabins and/or stay in the pricey Haven. So it seems odd to me that they'd fuss about having to buy drinks off the ship due to a local regulation preventing NCL from serving them onboard. Sure, I get the "but I already paid for it and I expect to get what I paid for." I'm not discounting that, that's very true, but if getting your cocktail is that big a deal, pay locally and just deal with it, but don't let it ruin your vacation. Just not worth it, in my opinion.

52 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

So my NCL cruise consultant got back to me after he chased the issue as NCL were being rather vague, this is the reply he has gotten after a few days. Seems like it should all be sorted now.

Screenshot_20230518_144810.jpg

All sorted out.  Figured it would be.  Good news.

Still feel this was a faux pas by one NCL person who misunderstood or misinterpreted  some regulation.  Lord knows, no one at CC is going to let them get away with that.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Just to be clear, the story regarding being given insufficient time to make a required payment is something that was told to

a passenger and, in the opinion of many, doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.

It was more than a passing comment to one passenger. According to ziggyuk, it was the explanation provided at the meet & greet that he organized on the Star. It probably sounded plausible enough in the room, but fell apart as soon as it was posted to the Internet (which the ship's officers should have known would happen pretty much immediately, after all they were talking to a room full of people active on Internet cruising forums…)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Still feel this was a faux pas by one NCL person who misunderstood or misinterpreted  some regulation.  Lord knows, no one at CC is going to let them get away with that.

Well good, now this thread can go away since "and they all lived happily ever after," right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hawkeyetlse said:

It was more than a passing comment to one passenger. According to ziggyuk, it was the explanation provided at the meet & greet that he organized on the Star. It probably sounded plausible enough in the room, but fell apart as soon as it was posted to the Internet (which the ship's officers should have known would happen pretty much immediately, after all they were talking to a room full of people active on Internet cruising forums…)

True! Law of unintended consequences. When officials fear they might be quoted and all of social media finds out, they soon become tight lipped. 😁

7 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I am perfectly happy to allow them to get away with a mistake, or whatever it was. That is exactly what I did last year in Athens.

However, this is not one NCL person who made one mistake. It is an ongoing story of these mistakes, or whatever they are.

For NCLs own sake they need to find out how to stop this keeping on happening.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Another wrinkle to this, as I see it, is the following: as far as I can tell, no one sailing in Italy, Greece or the UK has been denied a drink. They've only been disallowed from getting a "FREE" drink, or to put it more accurately, a pre-purchased drink due to the service being suspended on board. But has anyone attempted to go on land to a pub or restaurant and pay for one out of pocket? Is all alcohol forbidden? No. And as I see it, one of the points of going on a cruise is getting off the ship in port, where the beverage package doesn't work, anyway. Heck, NCL doesn't honor the UBP at Harvest Caye at all due to the local regulations. Where's the outrage over that? Back to my point, this isn't really an issue of whether or not passengers can get drinks, but the fact that they might have to pay twice (once by purchasing the beverage package and again on land, should they choose to do so). I've certainly bought cocktails at bars on land before, during a port stop. That's just part of the price of cruising. But here's the thing: Many people who post on CC cruise multiple times a YEAR, and many reserve fancy suite cabins and/or stay in the pricey Haven. So it seems odd to me that they'd fuss about having to buy drinks off the ship due to a local regulation preventing NCL from serving them onboard. Sure, I get the "but I already paid for it and I expect to get what I paid for." I'm not discounting that, that's very true, but if getting your cocktail is that big a deal, pay locally and just deal with it, but don't let it ruin your vacation. Just not worth it, in my opinion.

Going ashore doesnt really work if you want a glass of wine with your dinner, or a cocktail before the show… 

Harvest Caye isn’t an issue since NCL don’t own or run it unlike other lines private islands. 

The UK sailings were denied a drink, paid or otherwise. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greener123 said:

The UK sailings were denied a drink, paid or otherwise. 

Even on land? There was a total embargo on alcohol? You *could* get a glass of wine (or a bottle) with your dinner if you'd availed yourself of the free 6 bottle allowance NCL gives you, and paid no corkage fee to enjoy it assuming you'd had the beverage package, which it seems most have. I'd certainly say it's not ideal, but not the end of the world. And again, I feel pretty sure plenty of pubs in Southampton would've loved to have the custom.

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Even on land? There was a total embargo on alcohol? You *could* get a glass of wine (or a bottle) with your dinner if you'd availed yourself of the free 6 bottle allowance NCL gives you, and paid no corkage fee to enjoy it assuming you'd had the beverage package, which it seems most have. I'd certainly say it's not ideal, but not the end of the world. And again, I feel pretty sure plenty of pubs in Southampton would've loved to have the custom.

Clearly you do not know Southampton docks. Sailaway is usually 5pm; all aboard on embarkation day is 90 minutes earlier (3.30pm). It would be a taxi ride there and back to get to any alcohol supplier (probably another hour).

Totally impractical suggestion.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

That would be fine for those that were aware of the issue in advance.

Lack of notification to Star passengers for an issue that had been know about for a week or more from the dawn visit on the 4th.

• Like 1

My relative has just completed a live chat with NCL.

After consulting a supervisor, the agent said that restrictions had been lifted in Livorno.

When asked about the situation specifically in the UK he said there was no update to the previous company statement. When asked what the previous statement said, as my relative hadn't seen one, he wasn't able to produce it.

When asked if he knew what the problem was in the UK, he said this was a situation of the UK's making. He said he was aware that other cruise companies were serving alcohol but that those companies were putting themselves at risk of being fined. 

The agent ended the chat before any follow up questions could be asked.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

Clearly you do not know Southampton docks. Sailaway is usually 5pm; all aboard on embarkation day is 90 minutes earlier (3.30pm). It would be a taxi ride there and back to get to any alcohol supplier (probably another hour).

Totally impractical suggestion.

Absolutely not impractical at all. My wife and I had a cruise planned in May 2020 (cancelled, obvs) that featured a stop in Southampton. I was planning to visit a friend in Winchester for the day and I guarantee you we would've stopped at a pub for drinks. Not impractical in the slightest.

4 minutes ago, Norwayfan1 said:

When asked if he knew what the problem was in the UK, he said this was a situation of the UK's making. He said he was aware that other cruise companies were serving alcohol but that those companies were putting themselves at risk of being fined. 

Ha! Interesting. So much for the "this is clearly NCL's doing, the other companies aren't having any problems." Yes, apparently by violating the law. Well, well, well.

5 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Absolutely not impractical at all. My wife and I had a cruise planned in May 2020 (cancelled, obvs) that featured a stop in Southampton. I was planning to visit a friend in Winchester for the day and I guarantee you we would've stopped at a pub for drinks. Not impractical in the slightest.

That sounds like a day stop? Embarkation day (when the problem was) is a totally different ball game.

Edited by SteveH2508
clarification
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, flamingo_fancies said:

So my NCL cruise consultant got back to me after he chased the issue as NCL were being rather vague, this is the reply he has gotten after a few days. Seems like it should all be sorted now.

Screenshot_20230518_144810.jpg

Too soon for optimism yet, we need something official or confirmation from passengers on the ships. Hopefully!

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Ha! Interesting. So much for the "this is clearly NCL's doing, the other companies aren't having any problems." Yes, apparently by violating the law. Well, well, well.

Ahh yes it makes much more sense that P&O, Cunard, MSC, Royal Caribbean, Viking, Hurtigruten, Princess, Celebrity etc are all in the wrong and breaking the law and NCL are the only ones diligently observing whatever this new unheard of law is 🤣

• Like 6
  • Haha 13