Move Up upgrades with 50% off minimum bids - is this normal?

Les43

We are sailing on Celebrity Reflection on 17th July in a Sunset Sky suite - we upgraded from a SV recently. We received the usual move-up email last week with the bids on higher level suites at extortionate prices.  I have just received a ‘promo’ email , apparently sent to ‘select guests with almost 50% off some categories on minimum bids. I haven’t seen or heard of this before. Is this normal with 10 weeks still to go? Would be interested to hear others’ experiences and whether the minimum bids may change again before we sail? 

• Like 1

I received the same email today for our cruise departing June 18 from Rotterdam. The half off prices are much more palatable. My guess is the "select guests" are anyone with a reservation.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

43 minutes ago, Mark.Jules said:

I received the same email today for our cruise departing June 18 from Rotterdam. The half off prices are much more palatable. My guess is the "select guests" are anyone with a reservation.  

We're on this cruise too.  I know there have been posts about IV verses Concierge, but I'm still debating and $100.00 pp might send me there, but what is the consensus or your thoughts about moving up to concierge?  Thanks!

• Like 1

We got this too for July 17, Beyond, Italy/Greece/Turkey. They originally were higher than I wanted, especially since we already have a Celebrity Suite. The half off seems more reasonable, and my husband wants to make a bid. Not sure if this is normal or not, since they didn't have this program last time we sailed Celebrity.

Before they had the Move-Up program in 2018, we were offered an upgrade from a Sky Suite on Summit to a Royal Suite for $1000. Jumped at that chance!

• Like 1

@itsawonderfullife A move from a IV to concierge will not bring any changes to cabin as far as size is concerned. With concierge class you are eligible to take part in the welcome lunch, you will receive daily canapes (small bit size snacks), and one bottle of wine. (If I am missing something someone can correct) 

$100 is a small amount so if you feel it worth it give it a go.

Edited by Mark.Jules
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Les43 said:

We are sailing on Celebrity Reflection on 17th July in a Sunset Sky suite - we upgraded from a SV recently. We received the usual move-up email last week with the bids on higher level suites at extortionate prices.  I have just received a ‘promo’ email , apparently sent to ‘select guests with almost 50% off some categories on minimum bids. I haven’t seen or heard of this before. Is this normal with 10 weeks still to go? Would be interested to hear others’ experiences and whether the minimum bids may change again before we sail? 

What is the minimum bid for a Royal Suite from your Sunset Sky Suite?  How many days.  

Obviously a bid from your original SV to RS would be significantly more than a minimum bid from a Sunset Sky Suite to a Royal Suite.  

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

What is the minimum bid for a Royal Suite from your Sunset Sky Suite?  How many days.  

Obviously a bid from your original SV to RS would be significantly more than a minimum bid from a Sunset Sky Suite to a Royal Suite.  

Originally the starting bid for a RS was £3165pp. It’s now £1585pp. I could be tempted by the Signature suite but it hasn’t been discounted (yet)and is £1740 pp. I did a fake booking and there is only one left so that’s why no discount. Out of interest, a celebrity suite was starting at £950 pp and is now £475pp. I am not sure that moving from our sunset Sky suite to a CS is worth it though so holding fire on that. 

20 minutes ago, Koslm said:

If you win a move-up from sky suite to edge villa do you also get the additional benefits e.g speciality dining? Thank you! 

Yes, you receive unlimited speciality dining, the bottles of liquor, and stocked mini bar.

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 1

For our 5th June sailing on Silhouette there are lots of cabins still available in most grades including the top suites  Got the first move up e.mail a few weeks ago and dismissed it but got the promo e.mail today so decided to give it a go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Les43 said:

Originally the starting bid for a RS was £3165pp. It’s now £1585pp. I could be tempted by the Signature suite but it hasn’t been discounted (yet)and is £1740 pp. I did a fake booking and there is only one left so that’s why no discount. Out of interest, a celebrity suite was starting at £950 pp and is now £475pp. I am not sure that moving from our sunset Sky suite to a CS is worth it though so holding fire on that. 

A SV starts at $2848 pp, the Sunset Sky Suite at $5908, and the RS at $11,903.  Obviously the minimum bids changed when you changes to the Sunset Sky Suite. (which by the way is a nice cabin IMO).  Was the bid at  £3165pp after you switched to the Sky Suite.

I also would not bid on the CS.  The RS is certainly tempting with the unlimited speciality dining, in suite liquor set up, and a much bigger cabin for 10 days.

Good luck.  

• Like 1

It’s good to know how we are all preferred guests with this next move up special. I got it today also. July sailing. I am checking into it more with my independent TA as I’m unsure about this whole thing. Unfamiliar with this Celebrity program. 

23 hours ago, Les43 said:

I do not think there is anything normal about MoveUp.  For the cruise I am on at present, the prices were extremely high.  I was told to wait until the last day(I was also on the TA)and Celebrity would let me know.  That price was the very highest that one could bid for a MoveUp…of course I said no thank you!  Best decision ever, as I love my SV; had a Sunset Suite for 14 days anyway!

Did you check to see how many cabins/suites were available.  We had 40 something the last couple of days…I gave up trying to figure it out.  Several passengers that I spoke with received MoveUps for free too!

Edited by Lastdance

I also have received this 50% off bid offer for our July 1st, 2023.  There appear to be lots of cabins still available from inside all they way up to suites.  There are actually 30 suites still showing as available.  I wonder if they're trying to process move up bids a bit earlier as opposed to dropping overall fares?  And then in a couple weeks drop fares to try to fill up the ship.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ShawninFL said:

I also have received this 50% off bid offer for our July 1st, 2023.  There appear to be lots of cabins still available from inside all they way up to suites.  There are actually 30 suites still showing as available.  I wonder if they're trying to process move up bids a bit earlier as opposed to dropping overall fares?  And then in a couple weeks drop fares to try to fill up the ship.

I would agree with that comment, fingers crossed for us all who have made a bid we find out earlier . I hate not knowing where my cabin is at the last minute especially with other lines where  we get goodies delivered to the cabin on embarkation . I cancelled our one and only previous bid  as we hadn't  heard 24 hours before, we are always happy with the cabin we have anyway so no big deal . 

I also have a 50% offer on the Silhouette. The only issue that puts me off is that most of the Sky Suites are on deck 12, under the cafe and pool deck, and i've read they are quite noisy during the day and night. 

Edited by debsjc

7 minutes ago, debsjc said:

I also have a 50% offer on the Silhouette. The only issue that puts me off is that most of the Sky Suites are on deck 12, under the cafe and pool deck, and i've read they are quite noisy during the day and night. 

Many Sky Suites are actually on the pool deck level so the pool noise doesn't really affect them, but these same suites on the pool deck ore under the Ocean View Cafe.  We had a Sunset Sky Suite on this deck and there was some chair moving noise and people talking during the day, but nothing that bothered us.  We actually loved the cabin.  

1 hour ago, debsjc said:

We stayed in one of these on the Solstice. It was so noisy. I'd never, ever stay in one of these again. I'm a light sleeper and I really struggled to sleep with the constant cart noise/dishes noise/chair noise. We have an upcoming cruise on the Equinox and wound up booking a much pricier CS because the only Sky Suites available were under the cafe.  

• Like 1

I am never able to bid on any move up offers. Why? Because we travel with another couple and we are always in either of a veranda or a concierge cabin. In order to move up to aqua or a suite, we would have to know ahead of time that we were both going to win the same category or lose together, otherwise we would be unable to eat dinner together in blue or illumie, if one of us wins in the other one doesn't.  I have called Celebrity and asked if there was any way to have joint bids so we can either both win or both lose but obviously that is beyond their technical capabilities. That is unfortunate. We would bid otherwise. 

Edited by StillLooking4Adventure