What ship will be sailing from Southampton in 2025?

44 minutes ago, Static events said:

No such good news as I wanted a different class of ship. 

Very unlikely to happen. 

Oasis class is too big for many of the ports served from Southampton.

Anything smaller than Quantum class is a downgrade and puts Royal at a distinct competitive disadvantage. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Oasis class is too big for many of the ports served from Southampton.

You say that but MSC is launching Euribia from Southampton which I think is nearly Oasis class size (I might be wrong).

I think they are starting year round cruises as well from Southampton, I'm really surprised that Royal has never given this a go from Southampton.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tin can said:

You say that but MSC is launching Euribia from Southampton which I think is nearly Oasis class size (I might be wrong).

I think they are starting year round cruises as well from Southampton, I'm really surprised that Royal has never given this a go from Southampton.

Euribia is same ship as Virtuosa and in size similar to Anthem (even shorter than Anthem) and significantly smaller than Oasis. This is not about passenger capacity and gross tonnage but about dimensions.

Royal did year round Southampton with Independence some years ago but the market for Winter cruises in Northern Europe is not that big. Virtuosa sailed at very cheap rates last Winter from Southampton. P&O and Aida also offer Winter cruises in Northern Europe on big ships, more than enough capacity.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tin can said:

They tried it once… had an amazing Venice and back..  2009

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2009/04/42409-first-ever-royal-caribbean-intl-to-be-based-year-round-in-uk/

Edited by little britain

13 minutes ago, Tin can said:

Oasis is quite a bit bigger than Euribia.

Euribia - 43m wide, 331m long

Oasis - 47m wide, 360m long

(Anthem - 41m wide, 338m long)

4 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Euribia is same ship as Virtuosa and in size similar to Anthem (even shorter than Anthem) and significantly smaller than Oasis. This is not about passenger capacity and gross tonnage but about dimensions.

Royal did year round Southampton with Independence some years ago but the market for Winter cruises in Northern Europe is not that big. Virtuosa sailed at very cheap rates last Winter from Southampton. P&O and Aida also offer Winter cruises in Northern Europe on big ships, more than enough capacity.

You're right, I've just checked the tonnage and passenger capacity of Anthem and Euribia. Pretty much the same size but a vastly higher passenger capacity of Euribia.

Fair points you make about winter cruising from Southampton but I think it will be a big success for MSC.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Oasis is quite a bit bigger than Euribia.

Euribia - 43m wide, 331m long

Oasis - 47m wide, 360m long

(Anthem - 41m wide, 338m long)

I still don’t think it’s about the size as they cruise around the med just fine with Oasis class ships.. 

I can’t quite work it out. 

…maybe it’s a capacity issue as they used to have two ships sailing out of Southampton…

28 minutes ago, Tin can said:

You're right, I've just checked the tonnage and passenger capacity of Anthem and Euribia. Pretty much the same size but a vastly higher passenger capacity of Euribia.

Indeed. And you thought Royal packed ‘em in!

The phrase ‘pile it high, sell it cheap’ could have been written for MSC.

31 minutes ago, Tin can said:

Fair points you make about winter cruising from Southampton but I think it will be a big success for MSC.

Maybe at the expense of P&O. I’m not convinced there’s that much demand for the Canaries in February. But we’ll see.

1 hour ago, Static events said:

I still don’t think it’s about the size as they cruise around the med just fine with Oasis class ships. 

If you have ever been on O class in bad weather, you would realize why it wouldn't work from Southampton - it's a fair/warm weather ship class which gets crowded real fast when everyone is forced inside. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tin can said:

Nothing else is Oasis class size yet.  

56 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

If you have ever been on O class in bad weather, you would realize why it wouldn't work from Southampton - it's a fair/warm weather ship class which gets crowded real fast when everyone is forced inside. 

+1. We sailed from Southampton to the med on Independence. It was June but everyone was inside for the first 2 sea days as it was too wet to be outside. It was not something I’d like to repeat. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Static events said:

I still don’t think it’s about the size as they cruise around the med just fine with Oasis class ships.. 

I can’t quite work it out. 

…maybe it’s a capacity issue as they used to have two ships sailing out of Southampton…

Oasis class could handle the med and probably the france and Spain itineraries too, but they are too large for Norway, which at the moment accounts for quite a few of Anthem’s cruises. 

It will be interesting how Royal approach the Southampton deployment from 2026, when only zero emission ships are permitted in certain Norwegian Fjords, as this will take a lot of the market away. It will probably be more likely for the UK to get an Oasis class from this point onwards, especially as Icon, Utopia and Icon 2 will have all been released at that point. However, I still think that the chances are slim and Royal will position Odyssey in Southampton each year from 2025, just like how it’s been Anthem since 2020.

On 5/15/2023 at 11:21 PM, Biker19 said:

good point it would be chaos. 

On 5/15/2023 at 11:21 PM, Biker19 said:

Agree. When it’s pouring the whole of CP and Boardwalk are unusable, forcing people inside. 
Oasis class is not a good fit for Southampton. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

I predict Odyssey will be a huge hit.

I agree! I know there are many UK fans of Indy, but I think that if a Freedom Class was to come back to Southampton, some of those who have cruised on Anthem would really think that it is a major downgrade from Royal, as it does lack much of the ‘tech’ and activities from Quantum Class. Odyssey is just an ‘upgraded’ version of Anthem, but would bring new shows, dining venues and activities to Southampton which I think would really help them compete with those lines who are home-porting their new vessels there (e.g. NCL & MSC) and keep people returning year on year, as opposed to trying different ships from other brands.

Edited by Jumping Cruiser
  • Like 2

I don't object to the continuation of a Quantum class in Southampton, although it's far from my favourite class of ship. 

But it wasn't that long ago that RC had two ships homeporting, Indy and a Voyager class. 

I would love to see the return of a second ship, a Voyager class or even better, a Radiance class which would allow us RC regulars a chance to mix it up a bit. 

• Like 3