Newbies Reception

Friends who we will be traveling with were saying they get to attend an onboard reception as this is their 3rd cruise on Oceania. I believe I once read that there is also a reception for first time cruisers. Am I correct?  If it matters we will be on the Riviera departing Southampton. Thanks!

Depending on the length of the cruise and the number of guests and number of past guests, there can be 1,2,3, it kinda depends.  You will get an invitation to attend the one that is applicable to your loyalty level. It is a very nice, fun evening and learning about the program and meeting guests and having some beverages and appetizers. 
Go and Enjoy!

Mauibabes

• Thanks 1

We did NOT have one on Riviera 12/2021, our very first cruise ever and on O. BUT, I have seen some mention of this, though I'm not sure it is uniform versus tied to specific cruises or ships.

There are also:

1. Captain's Welcome Party (for all), usually on a sea day (was on the 2nd evening for both of our cruises so far)

2. Repeater Party (we enjoyed this on Sirena, 11/2022)

6 minutes ago, Guest said:

Friends who we will be traveling with were saying they get to attend an onboard reception as this is their 3rd cruise on Oceania. I believe I once read that there is also a reception for first time cruisers. Am I correct?  If it matters we will be on the Riviera departing Southampton. Thanks!

I have read  that recently they were having a first timers party

You will most likely find an invite in you cabin  just like the Repeaters  do for their party

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

I have read  that recently they were having a first timers party

You will most likely find an invite in you cabin  just like the Repeaters  do for their party

I believe on our 2/23 Marina cruise there were in fact 2 Newcomers Parties. They split the 500 or so Newbies into two Groups and each was invited to a greeting party .

The repeater parties are handled the same way. You’ll receive an invitation as appropriate at some point.

1 hour ago, slw207693 said:

First timers party was initiated last fall, but have been discontinued due to lack of guests attending.  

No- there was a first timer party on each segment of our winter/spring Regatta cruise.

Also worth mentioning that, if you are an “elite” O Club member (Platinum or above), you’ll usually get an invite to each “repeater” party in a segment. And multi-segment folks can do each Captain’s Welcome.

Add to that Happy Hour twofers, officer dinner invites, favorite bar tenders and O’s liberal BYOB policy (PLEASE obey the corkage rule!) and you may find no need to do the O Life booze package or the Prestige upgrade.

• Like 6

On 5/15/2023 at 10:46 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Also worth mentioning that, if you are an “elite” O Club member (Platinum or above), you’ll usually get an invite to each “repeater” party in a segment

In my recent experience I've found it varies, but no one is checking invitations. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The first Vista O Club party is today, 5/17 and one more probably tomorrow. Yes you get invitations and the Platinum level guests are allowed to join any of the parties, especially nice option if traveling with friends who might be invited to a different party. 
it is true, they do not “punch your ticket” so to speak so a person could attend one or more parties and not get raked over the coals. 
Mauibabes

9 hours ago, ORV said:

In my recent experience I've found it varies, but no one is checking invitations. 

True - all depends on who is running the show. What is standard across-the-board is that elite O Club members get a separate invitation to an early entry (and official thanks) to the O Club events. But, whether admission is controlled depends on who is the O Club Ambassador onboard. Some will manage that early entry and greet the elite by name. Others do not and it’s nothing “special” or “extra.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

True - all depends on who is running the show. What is standard across-the-board is that elite O Club members get a separate invitation to an early entry (and official thanks) to the O Club events. But, whether admission is controlled depends on who is the O Club Ambassador onboard. Some will manage that early entry and greet the elite by name. Others do not and it’s nothing “special” or “extra.”

Very true. I think we got an 'early access' invite on our 5rh cruise - but no one opened the event early so we just got a chance to chat with other 'early access' invitees in the hall lol. 10th cruise we received a standard invite,, early access. 

• Haha 1

We were on The Riviera for the April 7 cruise. Our first time on Oceania. There was no reception for first time cruisers that we were told about or aware of. 
The large majority of passengers seemed to be repeat customers. Perhaps they did not have enough "first timers" to have a reception.