Newbie question - dining reservations and show times

MarEll1

We are taking our first cruise on Regent in August on the Explorer. Dining reservations open May 18. I am wondering what time I should make reservations as we enjoy going to the shows in the evening. We have sailed Celebrity in the past where shows are usually 7 and 9 so we plan our dinners accordingly. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

One more thing - I have several cooking classes booked. They start at 4 PM. Does anyone know how long they last, as that will impact dining times as well. 

Shows are generally at 9:30. We usually try for a 7pm reservation so as to have an unhurried dinner and still get good seats for the show.

As for cooking classes, they last for two hours. Probably not a good day for one of the specialty restaurants, because you will have had a very hearty afternoon snack.

Edited by RELS
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, MarEll1 said:

One more thing - I have several cooking classes booked. They start at 4 PM. Does anyone know how long they last, as that will impact dining times as well. 

In my experience, they don't impact on dining times, but you might want to consider not doing a specialty restaurant that night, since depending on how much you eat at your class, you may not be that hungry.

• Like 2

Tell your server you want to make it to the 9:30pm show and they will do their best to make it happen. And you may want to reconsider your cooking classes (which are awesome) for 10am. We found that when taking the 4pm class, we were MORE than full afterwards and couldn't eat dinner. And missing meals is a horror when aboard ship!

• Like 2

Alaskan cruises are short to begin with s port a day is tiring. The 2 hour afternoon class is standing only if you want to really participate and you will be full because you will want to eat what you made. And it is expensive for what it is.

We really enjoy the evening meal, almost our favorite time on a cruise so we will not do the cooking class again. Too expensive and it really messed with our relaxing evening….cocktails, nice dinner, after dinner drinks/entertainment.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, cwn said:

Alaskan cruises are short to begin with s port a day is tiring. The 2 hour afternoon class is standing only if you want to really participate and you will be full because you will want to eat what you made. And it is expensive for what it is.

We really enjoy the evening meal, almost our favorite time on a cruise so we will not do the cooking class again. Too expensive and it really messed with our relaxing evening….cocktails, nice dinner, after dinner drinks/entertainment.

That is good to know - we had extra OBC which is one of the reasons I signed up. Don’t want to let it go to waste - we still have some left even after the classes and several premium excursions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarEll1 said:

That is good to know - we had extra OBC which is one of the reasons I signed up. Don’t want to let it go to waste - we still have some left even after the classes and several premium excursions.

In that case. it is a good use of OBC. That is what we did too, but I won’t spent extra of my own to do it again.

The shorter Alaskan, Caribbean (we did three BroB recently) and Med cruises are port entensice and can be very tiring if you go ashore dependently/or on a tour everyday. The service is so good in the ships we just like to be pampered as much as possible! 

• Like 1

Greetings!

I believe we will be on the same sailing (of your restaurant reservations open on May 18th)! This will also be our first RSSC cruise and we are very excited.

Looking forward to seeing you onboard!

~ Nancy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nancydow said:

Greetings!

I believe we will be on the same sailing (of your restaurant reservations open on May 18th)! This will also be our first RSSC cruise and we are very excited.

Looking forward to seeing you onboard!

~ Nancy

Looking forward to meeting you as well Nancy!

Just wanted to thank everyone who commented here. I was online at 5 PM (our time MST) tonight and was able to easily secure reservations for all 3 restaurants at our desired times.  Now this seems to be happening and I am getting excited!

1 hour ago, janecambridge said:

Does anyone know what time from UK we need to be online to book restaurants please? (Oceania was. Midnight). 

Jane I am sure it was 0500am , I was half asleep 😴 but I am sure some others will confirm.  For our cruise we were on this month I was able to book exactly the times we were wanting.  Jean.

1 hour ago, janecambridge said:

Does anyone know what time from UK we need to be online to book restaurants please? (Oceania was. Midnight). 

Earliest booking time for excursions and dining is 8pm ET which equates to 1am BST (midnight GMT) for those of us in the U.K. 

I understand Regent changed the timing to make it more convenient!!! 🙄

Edited by flossie009

15 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Earliest booking time for excursions and dining is 8pm ET which equates to 1am BST (midnight GMT) for those of us in the U.K. 

I understand Regent changed the timing to make it more convenient!!! 🙄

Last month I made excursion reservations for next April. Living in Florida, it was so nice not to have to set the alarm for midnight as I've to do for my previous cruises. Only Regent would know what would be the most convenient time for the majority of their customers since I'm sure there are almost no customers in some time zones. Did they look at that? Probably not.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

Only Regent would know what would be the most convenient time for the majority of their customers since I'm sure there are almost no customers in some time zones. Did they look at that? Probably not.

I disagree.  I believe that the U.S. is their biggest market.  They may have very likely looked at convenience in the U.S. which would explain why they changed it to 8pm Eastern from Midnight.