Help needed: drinking package regarding the 3rd person in the carbin

Leo-the-fox

First time cruiser here. My daughter will be traveling with us in a neptune suite. I assume she is allowed to use the neptune lounge, right? None of us drink any soda. DH would drink a glass of good wine if provided, that's it. Me and my daughter don't drink any alcohol, I like specialty coffee and my daughter would have hot chocolate occasionally and some tea, that's it. We have the HIA came as a package but not her since the HIA only covers two ppl in each carbin. I saw at a FB group indicated once we are on board HAL will force us to buy the drinking pkg for her (just simply charge us on the credit card) because we both have it. Such a stupid idea to even have the drinking pkg in the first place, we can just get specialty coffee and hot chocolate for free at the neptune lounge! I fully regret booking the trip online without using a TA.  Any suggestion how we can avoid paying the useless drinking pkg for my daughter? I already called the online booking company we can't drop the HIA since we already paid in full. Thanks!

You didn't have to book the cabin with the Have It All package, right? No one is forced to book with Have It All. Everyone in the cabin over 18 has to have the drink package, if anyone in the cabin has it.

Yes, everybody in the room will have access to the Neptune Lounge. 

• Thanks 1

If you booked the HIA package get on the phone with HAL or a PCC and ask for the pricing for the advantage fare.  HAL doesn’t show it on it’s website (why I don’t know).  It’s usually just a few more dollars then “Best Price” which is non refundable (not a fan of that).  It’s still refundable but all perks are gone - so take a look if the other perks are worth it (I suspect not).

Once you do that, from what you are describing drink wise, you could probably get by with a Quench package or even beverage cards.  

And as Bruce said, yes you certainly all are entitled to the Neptune Lounge.  By the way, I love the teas in the Neptune Lounge 😊 

1 hour ago, KAKcruiser said:

I could be wrong, but I think that only the first two people in the cabin are required to have the drink package if one has it.  I don't think it is required for the third person.

You need a package for everyone, including minors. They'd need the Quench package. If you aren't using the beverage package, the regular refundable fare is probably more cost effective.

Like Kazu said, look at the Advantage fare. It's typically $50/day less for the first two people anf it's a refundable deposit farel.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Leo-the-fox said:

I already called the online booking company we can't drop the HIA since we already paid in full.

Can OP change the fare classification after they already paid in full?  If it's before final payment date, I would think they could cancel and immediately rebook with the Advantage fare as the others mentioned above.  If the "online booking company" won't do it, I'd at least try calling HAL to ask about it.  If it's after final payment date, then it's an expensive lesson unfortunately.  

@Leo-the-fox welcome to Cruise Critic and please let us know if you were able to change the fare.  If not, then try to learn, move past it, and have a great cruise!!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for everyone's response. The cost for each ppl having HIA is $420, include: $100 shore excursion, $105 wifi ($15 x 7), 1 credit of specialty dining, which topped out at $46.02 for Pinnacle Grill, the rest is for drinks, which is about $170. Some websites only sell pkg with the HIA included, not as a add on option, for example, check the costco travel website. This is my first time criuse, didn't know the drinking pkg rules at all until now. In fact if I knew this matter earlier (before my final payment ) I would have done something. At the booking, nothing said we have to pay extra over $400 for the third person to march the first two person's drinking pkg. If HAL thinks we HAVE to, they should have just add the cost to the fare, right? 

2 hours ago, Leo-the-fox said:

Thanks for everyone's response. The cost for each ppl having HIA is $420, include: $100 shore excursion, $105 wifi ($15 x 7), 1 credit of specialty dining, which topped out at $46.02 for Pinnacle Grill, the rest is for drinks, which is about $170. Some websites only sell pkg with the HIA included, not as a add on option, for example, check the costco travel website. This is my first time criuse, didn't know the drinking pkg rules at all until now. In fact if I knew this matter earlier (before my final payment ) I would have done something. At the booking, nothing said we have to pay extra over $400 for the third person to march the first two person's drinking pkg. If HAL thinks we HAVE to, they should have just add the cost to the fare, right? 

I am really confused by this thread.  It was my understanding that the HIA package was only available to the first 2 guests in the stateroom - which means the 3rd does not have to buy it.

You might want to look at the terms and conditions of the package - https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/deals_CAD/have-it-all.html#hiaterms

And here is a screen shot of what I think if the most pertinent - note the part that says only available for 1st and 2nd guests.

IMG_0628.thumb.png.629197e801f5aa91c0c4e6856c4f5813.png

• Like 1

You are right, Kazu. However, the problem is, after both of us have the HIA, which include the drinking pkg, HAL will force us to buy the same level drinking pkg for the third person. My point is, if the third person really have to have the same level drinking pkg, they should add the extra charge to our fare automatically at booking,  just like when booking a hotel room, sometimes they charge extra for the third person living in the same room, they will automatically add the charge to the booking, not at after you checked in.

Edited by Leo-the-fox

26 minutes ago, Leo-the-fox said:

You are right, Kazu. However, the problem is, after both of us have the HIA, which include the drinking pkg, HAL will force us to buy the same level drinking pkg for the third person. My point is, if the third person really have to have the same level drinking pkg, they should add the extra charge to our fare automatically at booking,  just like when booking a hotel room, sometimes they charge extra for the third person living in the same room, they will automatically add the charge to the booking, not at after you checked in.

HIA is more than the drinking package so I am baffled why the 3rd person needs to buy the signature beverage package.  It doesn’t make sense to me.

I scrolled back to re-read your first post and if you are basing this just on an FB group - I wouldn’t.  There is a difference between the rules for HIA and the beverage package.  If they were talking about the SBP, it is not the same as the HIA.  You have Have It All - not the beverage package (although it includes it) \And yes all people in the cabin have to have the beverage package - but not the HIA package - big difference.

I’d be so tempted to check this out with a good TA who knows HAL  or a PCC with HAL - even if you can’t change the booking - you would have a reference for the future - And use that person in the future.  I’ve never heard of this conundrum before and lots of people travel with extras in the stateroom with HIA.  

Not everyone who posts on the HAL FB groups (or even Cruise Critic) know of what they speak 😉.   Everyone means well but….

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Leo-the-fox said:

Is the third person over the age of 21? Our experience with an 18 year old Granddaughter was I had to pay for her to dine at the Specialty Restaurants and for her excursions when she was with us using our HIA dining and excursions. We did not have to purchase nor did they charge me for any kind of a drink package for her. 

Last year on the Rotterdam, i originally booked with my 13 year old nephew and had Have it All. My sister (his mom) later booked as the third person in our cabin and didn’t need to get Have it All. Can’t guarantee that rules have remained however.

One additional data point: we had three people in a Neptune suite last August on Zaandam. The first two passengers had HIA, which included the signature drink package. The third person initially had no drink package and when we asked about, was not required to buy any kind of drink package. After pricing things out the first day, they opted to then add the quench package, but again, no issue whatsoever that two people had the signature and one had the quench (all 3 people over 21).  All three people had access to all of the suite perks (eg, Neptune lounge, pinnacle grill breakfast, etc)

@oakridger I am actually quick happy with my pkg even though we may not use the drinking pkg, it's my own choice, i will live with it. I only don't want HAL to force us buying another clearly useless drinking pkg. thank you, we are so looking forward to the trip, i think no matter what, i should just enjoy the trip, be positive!

• Like 1