Overbooked Cruise. Thoughts?

19 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

BUT, if someone cancels at the last minute, Royal still has their money (because they're not getting refunded).  Surely the amount of money spent on board by the "new" person is made up by the amount they have to pay people to cancel.  

Well, if they can accurately predict how many cabins will cancel, then they can keep the money from the person that cancelled AND the person that bought their cabin.  But, they just aren't accurately predicting right now, and they aren't smart enough to apply an override until the prediction is good again.  

4 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Well, if they can accurately predict how many cabins will cancel, then they can keep the money from the person that cancelled AND the person that bought their cabin.  But, they just aren't accurately predicting right now, and they aren't smart enough to apply an override until the prediction is good again.  

Did they do over bookings before the pandemic?  I think I've seen threads regarding 3-5 just this year alone.  So, did they overbook in the past and did better at predictions, or did they not overbook and this is an attempt to squeeze more money (that I'm guessing is backfiring)?

8 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Did they do over bookings before the pandemic?  I think I've seen threads regarding 3-5 just this year alone.  So, did they overbook in the past and did better at predictions, or did they not overbook and this is an attempt to squeeze more money (that I'm guessing is backfiring)?

That is my theory, that they always overbooked, but were better at predicting. 

There is also the push that Royal started pre-lockdown to convince people to book way ahead to get the best price rather than last minute.  

18 minutes ago, BobNoxious said:

Do the overbookings only affect the people who have a GTY room and not those that actually booked and reserved an exact room number assignment?

Yes, there are a whole lot more last minute assignments now than there were in the past

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

I am wondering if overbooking is even legal?

Why wouldn't it be? 

It's tolerated by the airlines with the right guardrails e.g. full refund and it seems Royal was still doing the right thing by asking for volunteers.  And after 35 years in the airline industry... you'll always find a volunteer at the right price.

• Thanks 1

On Monday Vicki Freed told an industry newsletter that, post Covid, they are having to change how they predict overselling.  She said it’s because they have a lot fewer cancellations than before so they need to “recalibrate” how far they can go with overselling. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Anton said:

On Monday Vicki Freed told an industry newsletter that, post Covid, they are having to change how they predict overselling.  She said it’s because they have a lot fewer cancellations than before so they need to “recalibrate” how far they can go with overselling. 

Did Royal always offer NRD for a cheaper rate?  It would be interesting to learn whether they're selling more NRD or RD.

Also, if you have a refundable deposit, when can you cancel/what do you get back?  Can you cancel the day before and get everything back (or just the deposit)?

29 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Did Royal always offer NRD for a cheaper rate?  It would be interesting to learn whether they're selling more NRD or RD.

Also, if you have a refundable deposit, when can you cancel/what do you get back?  Can you cancel the day before and get everything back (or just the deposit)?

Way more NRD being sold.

Refundable only refers to deposits.  After final payment both refundable and NRD are equal and follow the same cancellation fee guidelines.

After final if you cancel you do not get ack the deposit

34 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

You'd need to cancel before final payment which most of the time is 90 days out. These oversold offers typically come in much closer in than that.

I'm on the May 27 sailing of Liberty of the seas and received a similar email. I booked a "spacious ocean view balcony" and received an offer with 2 options.

1 - Receive a 100% refund and move to an "oceanview stateroom".

or 

2 - Cancel and receive a 100% refund plus a 50% future cruise credit. This included a refund of non-refundable pre-purchased travel expenses (eg flights) but i only booked the RC shuttle from EWR.

This is my first ever cruise so quite the way to start out. I really don't know how much I'd miss the balcony (I was advised to book a balcony on any cruise). Is the 100% refund on my entire bill or just the cruise portion of it? Is there any room for hagging the terms (ie adding on board credit etc). I know this was possible with the airlines depending how desperate they were.

Edited by sbjnyc

31 minutes ago, sbjnyc said:

I'm on the May 27 sailing of Liberty of the seas and received a similar email. I booked a "spacious ocean view balcony" and received an offer with 2 options.

or 

2 - Cancel and receive a 100% refund plus a 50% future cruise credit. This included a refund of non-refundable pre-purchased travel expenses (eg flights) but i only booked the RC shuttle from EWR.

This is my first ever cruise so quite the way to start out. I really don't know how much I'd miss the balcony (I was advised to book a balcony on any cruise). Is the 100% refund on my entire bill or just the cruise portion of it? Is there any room for hagging the terms (ie adding on board credit etc). I know this was possible with the airlines depending how desperate they were.

That is a pretty nice offer. Yes they mean 100% refund, but the fcc of 50% would only be on the cruisefare portion not the added taxes and fees and whatever extras you booked.

I'd take the OV. That's still a nice cabin in my book. Idk whomever said only book a balcony, depends on your budget. A OV you will be able to see out, just wouldn't have fresh air. Go up and sit by the pool, not a biggie for me. Having a window facing the outside in still nice to see what the weather is before you dress to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So why does Royal overbook?  I think airlines will give credit to those who cancel (or business folks will book refundable air), so I don't think it's an apples to apples comparison.  

Say cancellations run at 1%.  On Oasis that would be roughly 25 cabins at $2000 per cabin.  That's and extra $50k plus on board spend on every sailing.  That's big money when looking at 20+ ships

58 minutes ago, sbjnyc said:

or 

I would take option number 1

Edited by molly361
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Say cancellations run at 1%.  On Oasis that would be roughly 25 cabins at $2000 per cabin.  That's and extra $50k plus on board spend on every sailing.  That's big money when looking at 20+ ships

BUT, how much are they spending on making it up to those they bump?

3 hours ago, sbjnyc said:

or 

I'm on that sailing.  I said I'd take option 2.  I have a cruise from Hawaii to Vancouver next April, so could use the credit then.  My plane tickets for this trip were frighteningly expensive.  I just hope to hear soon so I can plan a last minute trip somewhere else!

Edited by shadesofgrey
  • Like 2

On 5/17/2023 at 12:44 PM, Lane Hog said:

Why wouldn't it be? 

It's tolerated by the airlines with the right guardrails e.g. full refund and it seems Royal was still doing the right thing by asking for volunteers.  And after 35 years in the airline industry... you'll always find a volunteer at the right price.

Airlines and Cruise lines are two different things....Lets make it clear..I am for the customer on this one  not for a billion dollar Corp!!!

I think all rooms should be sold by the room number.  then when closer to sailings then can lower the price or offer to C/A folks who live near the port.

Funny Disney does not have this problem.  They have good prices when ships go on sale and for the most part increase prices and they stay.  They don't play as much games as other cruise lines.

Lesson to anyone who goes the Guarantee route, make sure you can adjust flights and hotels or live near the port.   Otherwise you should pick your room to be on the safe side.