North Cape, when?

Mudhen

1 hour ago, Mudhen said:

Considering the Dawn's North Cape in '24.Mid June or  September?

Any info? Advice? Thoughts?

I did it in July and was there on a gloriously clear day. That being said, it is one of those locations where you pay your money and take your chances as to the weather. It's a real crap shoot. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I did it in July and was there on a gloriously clear day. That being said, it is one of those locations where you pay your money and take your chances as to the weather. It's a real crap shoot. 

As mentioned above by Texas Tillie, we did our sailing up and down the Norway coast in early July.  We were up to the top of Norway and Europe and enjoyed very good weather.  Our ship Captain told us that historically the best weather for this area is July.  Maybe early June could work.  September seems a little more risky.  

Need proof and/or more information?  You can check out the below live/blog with many visuals.  Below are just a couple as a warm-up sampling.  Happy to answer any additional questions.  

Below is a puffin at the top of Norway, plus second at the North Cape: 

image.thumb.jpeg.5e77295a01e03a3d63815fd643c21b58.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c0550889867fe41077166b68746a71f4.jpeg

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 246,963 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

I just looked at my photos from 26th June 2013 cruise on Silver Cloud. 
I remember that when we arrived at North Cape it was cold but with clear views. 
While we were there the cloud came down and it was very cold.

It was lucky we were there as it took 3  goes to dock at Honningsvag  because of the high wind. 

My husband posing at North Cape with down jacket and beanie. 

image.jpeg.762dc951a691a368e0decadf891ca60d.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Thank you all for your input. Looks like it's going to be nippy no matter when we go! We've got plenty of cold weather/foul weather gear, so we can be prepared!

Even the temperature varies with the weather. As I posted above, I was there on a beautiful day in July and I'd say it was in the 50s. Had the wind not been blowing off the water it would have not really been even cool with the almost 24 hours of sunshine.

• Thanks 1

Been there twice, both times in June.  First time, cold, sleet and snow falling, windy, generally unpleasant.  2nd time, not warm but sunny and I just wore a light jacket and was fine.  

These added comments bring back to my memory for more of our experiences in and around the Norway North Cape.  Quick Summary: Things Change!!!

The good news is that for much of the summer, it will be daylight for most of the day and all night, too.  

As shown below at the famed bird island near the North Cape, we had bright, super sunshine.  Looking great and nice!!!  Went out on our private boat and things were also very nice.  But, then the clouds started to come in and things totally change.  Fast.  By the time we were heading back to the port area, conditions were so totally fogged in that our captain had to use the electronics to guide us back to the dock.  

Even in July, things can change in different ways. Driving back to the larger port where our cruise ship was docked, it was also very, very foggy . . . in the middle of the day. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 246,963 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

Here is an example at the small fishing village near the North Cape where things were totally sunny, clear and beautiful.  Then we were out at the nearby bird island.  Then things turned much more fogged, etc.  Hard to predict!!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.fb06de1127088d77f7774f386fd41951.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2a8f8e5e9ef3030a0c4793418b4c9067.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jillyf said:

...it took 3 tries to dock at Honningsvag  because of the high wind. 

image.jpeg.762dc951a691a368e0decadf891ca60d.jpeg

Love that little place.  Pulling crab pots and cooking them on the shore is an experience I'll never forget.

BTW... if your husband's name Fletcher?

3 hours ago, jillyf said:

Yes. Do you know him?

I do not, but quite the coincidence!

2 hours ago, jillyf said:

Surname, not the one doing the great trip report at the moment!

Gotcha and thanks for the clarification. I thought it looked like they shared the same tailor. 😉

• Haha 3