Self-disembarkation

jeanlyon

To those who self-disembark, do you register to do that?  We have done this on our last 7 cruises and never registered, just didn't put our cases out.  Someone on Facecloth is telling me I should be registering and giving me grief.  Why on earth should I register to do that.  I am taking my own case off?

On Iona last year they asked us to call reception and register which I did. On Ventura last month they just said keep your bags inside and that’s it. 

You’ll get a disembarking leaflet to your cabin a few days before letting you know what to do. 

1 minute ago, Landon90 said:

On Iona last year they asked us to call reception and register which I did. On Ventura last month they just said keep your bags inside and that’s it. 

You’ll get a disembarking leaflet to your cabin a few days before letting you know what to do. 

Exactly what I thought.  Thanks for that.  I have never registered, but kept our cases in our cabin.

Last month on Arvia, although we were allocated a disembark time of 08:30, we sauntered off ourselves about 08:00 with the tail end of those self-disembarking.  No one checking whether we'd registered etc.  One of the easiest disembarkations we've done at Southampton.

• Like 1

On iona in April it told us to contact reception if we wanted to get off ourselves 

we think we are going to next time as I’m sick of waiting around. Only thing was the lifts were busy and we wouldn’t be able to do 4 big cases without a lift

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

To those who self-disembark, do you register to do that?  We have done this on our last 7 cruises and never registered, just didn't put our cases out.  Someone on Facecloth is telling me I should be registering and giving me grief.  Why on earth should I register to do that.  I am taking my own case off?

There's some really awful people on some of those P&O Facebook groups.  They only seem to sign in to be rude and aggressive. 

• Like 3

We sailed on Iona the end of January this year. We always self -disembark on Southampton cruises and are usually on the road before 7.30am heading for home. On Iona I contacted the customer care number on the TV screen from the cabin a couple of days before disembarkation as the queues at the pursers desk were always very very long.We were given a time to leave and were off the ship straight after breakfast.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruise saint said:

There's some really awful people on some of those P&O Facebook groups.  They only seem to sign in to be rude and aggressive. 

Then report them to admin. I am sure they would be delighted to get rid of them. 

11 hours ago, daiB said:

Then report them to admin. I am sure they would be delighted to get rid of them. 

I haven't got the time to report all of them. I just don't frequent these groups anymore, I get my info/advice from you much nicer people on here😇

12 hours ago, Molly123. said:

We sailed on Iona the end of January this year. We always self -disembark on Southampton cruises and are usually on the road before 7.30am heading for home. On Iona I contacted the customer care number on the TV screen from the cabin a couple of days before disembarkation as the queues at the pursers desk were always very very long.We were given a time to leave and were off the ship straight after breakfast.

Do you have far to travel home?  We've never done self disembarkation, mainly because we're from Perthshire and usually travel to the Lake District for an overnight stay before finishing the journey the next day (When we come off Britannia on 9th June we've actually booked a cottage in the Lakes for a second week's holiday😁). I like to have breakfast on the ship before heading North.

54 minutes ago, cruise saint said:

Do you have far to travel home?  We've never done self disembarkation, mainly because we're from Perthshire and usually travel to the Lake District for an overnight stay before finishing the journey the next day (When we come off Britannia on 9th June we've actually booked a cottage in the Lakes for a second week's holiday😁). I like to have breakfast on the ship before heading North.

We have a 3 hour drive to pick up the dog and get home.  It's just so much easier to wheel your own case.  We only take one each even for 19 days, plus a carry bag.  We go for brekkie about 7.30 and start walking off about 8, pick up the car and on the road.  As for registering, never have, just keep our luggage.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Last month on Arvia, although we were allocated a disembark time of 08:30, we sauntered off ourselves about 08:00 with the tail end of those self-disembarking.  No one checking whether we'd registered etc.  One of the easiest disembarkations we've done at Southampton.

We did the same on Iona in Feb. We came down the mid ship lifts at 8:15 and found there was no one disembarking, so we walked straight off without any  problem at all, even though our disembarkation time was the ridiculously late time of 10:15, maybe that was because my wife was in a wheelchair, or maybe not.

• Like 1

On three cruise lines we have been told to simply not put our cases out if we are self disembarking.

I usually wait until I am allocated a disembark time and if its early enough we'll let others move the luggage!

Iona last November and Aurora last month we were asked to contact reception to let them know if we were self disembarking. 

Seem to remember there usually being a request to do this either in Horizon or a note in the cabin.

We've always self-disembarked and when we receive all the blurb in the cabin about putting cases out and giving us a time for disembarking, I usually go down to reception and inform them that we would like to self-disembark.  They sometimes make a note - usually on a scrap of paper!

After breakfast in the MDR, we go back to the cabin, grab the suitcases and go.  The worst part is usually getting a lift!

Michele

• Like 2