Princess Plus Frustration!

nini

17 hours ago, memoak said:

You need a new TA. I was on a cruise in March where we had the “old” Plus package. We were not billed for shipping and drinks were good up to $15. The only things we didn’t get were the new desserts fitness classes but the drink package was fine. When we ordered medallions for our cruise next month we were told there would be a fee but have never been billed and when we see our orders in the app the show zero charge. I believe it was a glitch. I would not worry but I would get rid of that TA

Hi @memoak I appreciate your comments as always. You keep watch over my city of 30 years! I will ask DH if we have been charged yet and then say we will pick up at the port, which I really do not mind.

Our TA is that big box store and we are not assigned one certain agent, and she was as frustrated as me.

17 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

@nini, many posters here in the Princess forum have reported that they have not been billed the $10, even though the App indicates otherwise.  Probably some divine intervention somewhere along the line.  Personally, I would not sweat the $10 and either inquire to get it rebated as Refundable OBC on board or just pick them up at the pier.  I found there to be virtually zero minutes delay in picking up Medallions in Italy at the port last Fall (had no other option).

True, we will not sweat it and if we can not "cancel" the order, we will pick them up at the pier.

16 hours ago, bagney said:

We board the Grand Princess in Anchorage a week from this Saturday (on May 27) with the original 'Plus' package and I got notice last week that our Medallions were shipped - supposed to be here tomorrow. I was not charged the $10 shipping fee. We booked this cruise last June (2022) and ordered the Medallions at that time per the App. 

Thanks for that info!

16 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@nini I also book my cruises way back (when they first come out).  I ordered my medallion when I read that the price of Princess Plus was going up (Feb 2023?).  I was not charged for the two cruises I had without the beverage package.  I was not charged for the two cruises ahead.  

Did you try to finish the order?  I would get a new TA.  I am sure (with documentation) you will be able to get your $10 while on board (as maybe...sorry...non-refundable OBC).  So much more paper work for Princess.  Was it worth it?  NO !

Thanks for the info. Either way, we will ask for the credit onboard if needed. I always keep documentation as well. As I mentioned to @memoak, our TA is the big box store an we typically do not "get" the same agent.

16 hours ago, Ombud said:

Just got free my medallion that I ordered in early February.  Booked standard fare. My future cruises also state they'll be shipped to me. FWIW I think those who booked prior to the increase will be just fine

We will see, as we booked two years ago.

15 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

We just booked our cruise in mid-Feb 2023 with the Plus package; just got our medallions a couple weeks ago and yes...I was charged the $10 shipping I was not supposed to be charged (package fine print from the big box retailer we booked with says "free shipping").

I called Princess and they gave me a refund form to complete that would take 6 weeks for any refund; I think I am just going to speak to guest services on my cruise next week and ask for the refund.

Thank you for the encouragement.

15 hours ago, qoap24 said:

We were only charged $5 and that's because I ordered the birthday medallion, nothing for shipping. 

LOL! Happy Birthday and have a great cruise!

13 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Surely those who are Elite should get a discount.  Or is this another loyalty benefit that's being degraded?

Many who are or not Elite are getting charged. As usual, there is no rhyme or reason.

12 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

The easiest solution to this issue is just to pickup your Medallions at check-in.  There is absolutely no need to have the Medallions prior to boarding.

We have picked up our Medallions at boarding numerous times now (because of pre-cruise trips) with absolutely no issues.  It has only taken a few extra minutes for the check-in agent to retrieve our Medallions.

Maybe if the majority of passengers select to pickup the Medallions at check-in, Princess will find it more efficient to mail them all out for free?

That will definitely be our choice assuming there is a next time.

8 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Not quite, only the $ limit for drinks is being honoured, all new features and additions are not unless you upgrade (juice bar, desserts, classes etc...)

Actually, I think @JimmyVWine said they also had the option for the specialty desserts with the "Old Plus". Regardless, we have no interest in those a they are unappealing (at least to us).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nini said:

Actually, I think @JimmyVWine said they also had the option for the specialty desserts with the "Old Plus". Regardless, we have no interest in those a they are unappealing (at least to us).

No.  We did not have the desserts available to us. (Or to be more accurate, we assumed that we did not have access to them and never tried.) There was a guest who had New Plus who asked at the Guest Services desk if they could use that perk to get plain gelato and was told no.  It was the special dessert or nothing. But we had no specific experience one way or the other.

This is a little off-topic but in the future just pick them up at the terminal. Princess was supposed to mail mine - but didn't - so I just picked them up once I board and they gave me two extra cool medallion "watch" bands for my inconvenience. 

• Like 3

We're in the pick them up at the terminal camp.

Last cruise in early January our medallions got held up for two weeks in what we think are US Customs (Carson, Ca) and finally reached our home the afternoon of the day we flew out in the morning.

Needless to say at the terminal we didn't have medallions and Princess hadn't prepared them for pickup as they didn't know we didn't receive them in time. That was a shuffle that really cost some time.

An old-style cruise card had to be made in the terminal so we could board and then we had to exchange that for a medallion freshly made on the ship at GS during the commotion of embarkation day.

For our upcoming cruise we decided that rather than chance it, just have it ready for us in the terminal. Doesn't matter if the shipping was free or not. Heck, can you imagine trying to get your $10 back because the medallion didn't show up in time. After all the horror stories of trying to "submit a form" to Princess? I know from experience they get ignored until after six months you write a nice email to Padgett and the heads of all the departments responsible. Then suddenly you get a note of apology and a refund in a week. Too much trouble for me. NO SHIPPING!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

No.  We did not have the desserts available to us. (Or to be more accurate, we assumed that we did not have access to them and never tried.) There was a guest who had New Plus who asked at the Guest Services desk if they could use that perk to get plain gelato and was told no.  It was the special dessert or nothing. But we had no specific experience one way or the other.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

We have our last cruise with the old Plus pricing coming up this month, and there was no charge to ship our medallions. 

Desserts and Fitness Classes aren't included, but Juice Bar is. And drinks up to $15. 

Thank you for the information.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

There was a guest who had New Plus who asked at the Guest Services desk if they could use that perk to get plain gelato and was told no.  It was the special dessert or nothing. 

That's just nuts!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

That's just nuts!

No! You cannot get just nuts!! You have to get the whole concoction!  I'm betting that by the time Summer rolls around and more families are sailing, they will figure out the idiocy of this and change the rule.  

• Haha 5

42 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

No! You cannot get just nuts!! You have to get the whole concoction!  I'm betting that by the time Summer rolls around and more families are sailing, they will figure out the idiocy of this and change the rule.  

We're on a couple Emerald cruises out of LA this summer, and already feel sorry for the ice cream guy/gal since there's going to be lots and lots of kids!

After reading this thread, I changed my medallion order.  I was going to have it shipped to my home, I thought this would save time at embarkation.  Based on the comments posted here, that doesn’t seem to be the case.  Plus since we’re flying, it’s one less thing to worry about packing.  

Here's a thought.  Everyone should cancel their medallion order and ask for pick up at the port.  Considering this only impacts those in the United States...It will only put a small dent in their system.

BUT...From my understanding, it is the ship that is cranking them out for day of Embarkation.  Maybe Princess will have a small revelation that their charging for shipment (and maybe reimbursement from Customer Service onboard), they will rethink this AWFUL decision to charge for shipping.  

GO FOR IT!

On 5/16/2023 at 3:00 PM, nini said:

We sail on the Sky in a few weeks and DH ordered our Medallions. We booked with the Plus package in July of 2021. So, Princess has had our money/ deposit for nearly two years. DH said they were charging him $10.00 in shipping and I said that should not be. I checked in with our Roll Call and members said that had similar issues and that they called their TA and/or Princess and they would be reimbursed.

FYI- it is on a Princess website that you will NOT be charged for the Medallion shipping IF you have purchased the Plus or Premium package. It is #39.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/

I also know via the posts by our own @JimmyVWine that when onboard, the "old Plus" is honored the same way as the "New Plus".  The dealings with Princess were as follows:

In addressing the $10.00 charge for mailing the medallions to us, I called our TA. You will LOVE the response(s). The first response that they will give the fee back when on the ship. I asked how. So, his new response (Mario) is:

The second response is ............ wait for it...................... wait for it.....................

"You have the "Old Princess Plus" and therefore do not qualify to have the medallions mailed to you free of charge."

I told our TA that our "Old" Princess Plus is being treated just like the new one when onboard and I know that for a fact. Our TA told him this. His response was that, NO! We will have the limits of the "Old" one when onboard.

Thank you all for "listening".

It isn't your TA, it is Corporate Princess . . . just got back from the 2023 World Cruise, staff on board was fabulous, but it seemed all decisions coming from Corporate were unorganized and like everyone was new!   Corporate has to get their act together, you ask the same question of 5 different people and you get 5 different answers.

37 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Here's a thought.  Everyone should cancel their medallion order and ask for pick up at the port.  Considering this only impacts those in the United States...It will only put a small dent in their system.

BUT...From my understanding, it is the ship that is cranking them out for day of Embarkation.  Maybe Princess will have a small revelation that their charging for shipment (and maybe reimbursement from Customer Service onboard), they will rethink this AWFUL decision to charge for shipping.  

GO FOR IT!

I hate to say it, but I don't think that Corporate will get it!  After 111 days of hearing of the dealings with them, if they don't do something quickly to shore up Corporate policies and become customer focused again they will lose their loyal base.

3 hours ago, Traveler1977 said:

After reading this thread, I changed my medallion order.  I was going to have it shipped to my home, I thought this would save time at embarkation.  Based on the comments posted here, that doesn’t seem to be the case.  Plus since we’re flying, it’s one less thing to worry about packing.  

I am glad to have been of service. Have a fabulous cruise!

• Like 1