Have boarding times become later .

Windsurfboy

On 5/19/2023 at 6:04 PM, Windsurfboy said:

What is the current expereience of boarding time for QG Southampton. My 12.45 seems later than pre covid. Shall I just turn up at 12.00 as normal

As a Platinum, now Diamond member I have still shown up at 12:00 with no issues, so I assume it would be the same for Grills' guests.

On 5/19/2023 at 5:04 PM, Windsurfboy said:

What is the current expereience of boarding time for QG Southampton. My 12.45 seems later than pre covid. Shall I just turn up at 12.00 as normal

Check in 12.45  or boarding time?

Our check in time has got later and boarding last August was 1pm.

Maybe it depends on ship and itinerary.

Edited by Victoria2

On 5/19/2023 at 5:04 PM, Windsurfboy said:

Our last Cunard trip was November 22 (QG) and boarding was 12.45: quite surprised when initially saw the time. I am fairly sure we did not board any earlier, but certainly in time for a nice lunch!

13 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

Our last Cunard trip was November 22 (QG) and boarding was 12.45: quite surprised when initially saw the time. I am fairly sure we did not board any earlier, but certainly in time for a nice lunch!

Boarding or check in? Our boarding passes have check in time, but no time of boarding.

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

Boarding or check in? Our boarding passes have check in time, but no time of boarding.

I think boarding time is in the lap of the ship preparation gods. Obviously it depends how many people have to get off, whether the previous cruise was full, and if they are all leaving.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I think boarding time is in the lap of the ship preparation gods. Obviously it depends how many people have to get off, whether the previous cruise was full, and if they are all leaving.

Which is why boarding passes have check in times and not the actual boarding time. There is a difference which is why I asked in #10.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Which is why boarding passes have check in times and not the actual boarding time. There is a difference which is why I asked in #10.

And of course there is the mystery of security. This is strangely weather dependent, because people have so many more layers to remove when it is colder. There is also the depressing number of men (I’m afraid it is always men, in my experience) who have to be told yet again that they can’t leave their change in their trouser or shorts pockets. Anyway this all makes security times a bit unpredictable.

7 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Last November we were kept in the QG holding area until 1:00pm. They blamed the Port Authority.

Our check in time was 12:30pm.

Same for us last August and the embarkation lounge [Mayflower] got very stuffy and unpleasantly overcrowded.

We have a time of 3.30 for our next cruise. We have been diamond for a long time. This is about the third time this has happened since covid. We were always given times around 12.30 pre covid. We risked going early at about 1.30, the first time this happened, and were sent straight through, with virtually no-one else going through the priority lane by that time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Camgirl said:

We have a time of 3.30 for our next cruise. We have been diamond for a long time. This is about the third time this has happened since covid. We were always given times around 12.30 pre covid. We risked going early at about 1.30, the first time this happened, and were sent straight through, with virtually no-one else going through the priority lane by that time.

Have you spoken to them about this?

Check in times are by deck with IT taking no account of loyalty status. Last year on our 3 QM2 cruises our time was 3.30 each time. We turned up at just after midday and were processed immediately as priority

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Last November we were kept in the QG holding area until 1:00pm. They blamed the Port Authority.

Our check in time was 12:30pm.

Been lucky  and never had to wait except in security queue once.  Are there any facilities in holding area , presumably  toilets , what about tea/coffee

Edited by Windsurfboy

3 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Been lucky  and never had to wait except in security queue once.  Are there any facilities in holding area , presumably  toilets , what about tea/coffee

The Mayflower Terminal has a small café.

For June 6 cruise we have 3:30. All members are platinum. Additionally we are arriving at Heathrow at 8:20 am and taking the Cunard transfer from the airport to the pier. We will be there way before 3:30. Seems to me Cunard needs to work on its assignment of check in times to be a little more flexible when scheduling transfers from the airport.

We also had 3:30 check in time on our last cruise as well. We were onboard by 1:00 pm.

3 hours ago, sogne said:

Check in times are by deck with IT taking no account of loyalty status. Last year on our 3 QM2 cruises our time was 3.30 each time. We turned up at just after midday and were processed immediately as priority

That doesn't explain our 3.30 time. First time we were on deck 4, then deck 6, this time we are deck 8 on QV. All with 3.30 as a boarding time.

Exlondoner - no, I haven't spoken to them. Maybe I will give that a try.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I have just looked at our boarding passes, which I printed out a while ago. As well us telling us to turn up at 12.30, they each say ‘priority embarkation’.

I was puzzled about 12.45 arrival time, as everyone on this board in QG seems to have been given 12. 30 as an arrival time. I don't know what we've done to annoy Cunard , however shall take everyone's advice and turn up at 12.00.