Tips for Glacier Bay National Park

copycat53

My daughter and I have booked a cruise on Holland America Rotterdam for July.   The primary reason we chose this cruise is because we love National Parks and want to visit Glacier Bay.   We have so many questions and are looking for any tips of the best way to see the park.   Will we be able to talk to the rangers and get our park passport books stamped?    What is the best place for viewing?   How early do we need to claim a good viewing spot?   

I would love to hear about your experiences and your tips.

You don't stop in Glacier Bay...you sail around in it. There will be a ranger on board to do narration. Not sure if you can interact with the ranger...probably...but getting your passport stamped is unknown.

Most ships, including HAL, have plenty of great outside viewing locations. If the weather is not favorable, the Crow's Nest on HAL ships is always good, but extremely popular. The Lido pool area would be next, but somewhat limited in viewing. If at all possible, Mother Nature permitting, be prepared to bundle up and stand outside.

• Like 1

There will be 2-4 rangers on board depending on the size of your ship.  They normally set up a traveling ranger station and gift shop in the Crows Nest.  One ranger will give a program in the theater and the other will do narration from the bridge and a Junior Ranger program.  They will have the passport stamp with them.

• Like 6

On my past cruises - they have been up on deck and can stamp your passport books.

They do presentations through out the day, the rangers are available for questions.

I find the promenade deck great for viewing options and it is not often crowded. Many people run to the top of the ship. I like the lower decks for viewing.

• Like 2

Check youtube for past tips on R-dam and take a good look at outside videos in slow speeds that may give you clues on good spots. Spend the first sea day scouting for places. Take a copy of deck plans. One of the best spots we found was outside a door in the corner of the gym. (was not on R-dam). But you get the idea. While looking for a spot take note of what would work best in rain or sun & wind and as captain turns ship around. Make sure you have weather worthy rain/sun hats, coats etc.  Look under the aft pool when you are leaving from one to another. Bow may be open but have to be there early and long time.  Likely if outside won't be able to hear rangers. Photo on something HAL on way to Hubbard Glacier, sightcrr

clothes1.JPG

Edited by SightCRR
  • Like 1

If you want to see wildlife, your best move is to sit in the same place for while with binoculars. We had several people come by complaining they hadn’t seen anything, but you need to be patient. There were dozens of sea otters and puffins. 

On 5/19/2023 at 1:18 PM, copycat53 said:

Holland America Rotterdam for July

Can you confirm it's the Rotterdam for Alaska?  Or is it some other dam ship.  You are getting me excited.  The Rotterdam normally sails Northern Europe.

Edited by xlxo

7 hours ago, xlxo said:

Can you confirm it's the Rotterdam for Alaska?  Or is it some other dam ship.  You are getting me excited.  The Rotterdam normally sails Northern Europe.

The Rotterdam is definitely not in Alaska this season, nor in 2024.

My tips are to plan to be outside for extended periods of time and to move all around the ship. The scenery is so beautiful! Get out there early! You'll want to have maximum layers, at least 3. I use silk long underwear base layer, fleece, and Goretex outer layer. Don't forget gloves and a hood or hat!

On 5/25/2023 at 12:17 AM, xlxo said:

I apologize.  It’s the Koningsdam