Wonderland dining experience?

You either love it, or hate it, because it is not a normal place to eat.  Now, I love it, but I love food, and will eat anything in front of me.  This is not the kind of place for a picky person, or someone that likes simple foods.  It is also not a place to say, or give a recommendation to.  

But on a ship, you are going for an experience that is different and fun.  Doing things outside a comfort zone.  So go for it, if you really want an experience with food.

• Like 1

We did one time, when we had the UDP, on Odyssey of the Seas.  We enjoyed it but not enough that we would do it again without the UDP.  We'd do it again on the UDP but only once on a given sailing.

We told our server we weren't particularly adventurous eaters and for him to choose what we should order.  We enjoyed everything he selected.  

The World desert is to die for.

Once and done!

We did it recently on Wonder because we had the UDP.  We never considering dining there even using the RCCL BOGO.  There is a lot of hype, but I was always satisfied not to dine there.  There was no Madhatter but I can't Imagine that would have made the meal any better. 

I had already had the World dessert at another cruise event a few months earlier so didn't order it this time. I think we were the only table not ordering that dessert. 

The meal was just OK.   I wasn't crazy about what the server brought.  We told him to bring whatever he suggested, so not much we could say about the food selection.  We did order our choice of entrees, which neither of us particularly liked.  

After the meal, my husband went to Johnny Rockets for a burger. 🍔  

M

22 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Once and done!

We did it recently on Wonder because we had the UDP.  We never considering dining there even using the RCCL BOGO.  There is a lot of hype, but I was always satisfied not to dine there.  There was no Madhatter but I can't Imagine that would have made the meal any better. 

I had already had the World dessert at another cruise event a few months earlier so didn't order it this time. I think we were the only table not ordering that dessert. 

The meal was just OK.   I wasn't crazy about what the server brought.  We told him to bring whatever he suggested, so not much we could say about the food selection.  We did order our choice of entrees, which neither of us particularly liked.  

After the meal, my husband went to Johnny Rockets for a burger. 🍔  

M

We never saw the Madhatter either on Harmony.   But we did totally enjoy the bar area on the second level.  Our favorite bartender from the SL was transferred there.  Some pax don't realize you can come in to enjoy that great bar/lounge without eating at Wonderland on Oasis class. 

Whole area used to be the former CL (which we adored)...then became the DL on Oasis....before they put Wonderland in there.  

We are in the One and Done camp.  Not because we hated the food, it was marginal but ok. There were things we loved like the liquid lobster and things we thought were meh. However, since most of it is an experience and now that we have done the experience we don't feel the need to go back.

We just did it a few weeks ago on Harmony. I had told myself that if the food was bad, there was always the World to look forward to.  After each having our own World on our last cruise during the Chef's table, I was looking forward to dessert.

The server brought out MY World on a plank along with a couple of cute mushrooms.  I kept waiting for him to bring the others at the table their Worlds. Oh, the horror. He moved the World to the center of the table and started pouring. Wait, what? Come to find out he had the audacity to expect me to share MY World with everyone at the table. 1 World for all of us, not ok.🤣 🤣 (not that I could have eaten a whole World myself anyway.)

• Haha 1

On 5/20/2023 at 5:20 PM, dahirsh said:

I'm in the love it group.  The beef entree is amazing

I've done it twice and I loved the short rib and the halibut. The appetizers are hit and miss but the presentation is amazing.

On 5/20/2023 at 6:41 PM, island lady said:

Worst placement of a specialty restaurant I have ever seen.   Seemed more like a sidewalk cafe/bistro..or worse actually.  

Izumi is same on Anthem. People walk basically right through the tables. 

• Like 1

My one and only visit was with UDP on Symphony.  Had I purchased a la carte, I would have felt it wasn't money well spent.  I did eat alone, and I was thankful that the Mad Hatter character didn't stop at my table. 

I've sat through a 10 or 12 course tasting menu on another cruise line that took more than 3 hours for the experience, and I thoroughly enjoyed learning about, seeing and tasting the creativity that was put into the meal.

Wonderland, however, just seemed too much of a gimmick and too overhyped for what was delivered.

As is often said on the board, meals are a matter of personal preference and taste.  So I know others do enjoy the experience.

Personally, from my CEO armchair, I'd be directing the corporate F&B team to develop a new concept designed as an INEXPENSIVE retrofit meaning only superficial changes rather than gutting the entire space and starting over:  no money for that.  How about "Country Chic" with a price point of $29.99.  Go for the bizarre, leaving chandeliers but painting and accenting them.  Replace the tables and chairs with 2, 4, & 6 top picnic tables that have individual stationary velvet cushions as well as a fixed battery operated candelabra.  Load the menu with low food cost items that are one step above a cook-out, such as meat loaf and fried chicken.  And of course include the options for upgrades and add-ons for a price.  They could even have two musicians:  banjo and fiddle to add entertainment. 

While I don't know for certain, I'm pretty sure the food prep for the current concept is labor and time intensive.  Instead I'm suggesting a change that reduces food and labor cost while presenting a new experience intended to be less expensive but almost outlandish in delivery, something guests will talk about.  Hopefully it will drive higher traffic and increase profitability.  

We ate at Wonderland on every OASIS ship we've been on, plus the Odyssey and Wonder..  We just do it once.  Avoiding the nest stuff, I always get the braised short ribs.  The Chocolate World dessert and the Smokey bourbon drink. 

But we'd never go twice on a cruise.  And are willing to give up a dinner at Wonderland if a spot is available at Izumi sushi.

• Like 1

Daughter, son & nephew went on Harmony last week.  It was a highlight of their cruise.  My daughter who does not eat cheese or seafood, took the plunge and tried everything.  A great waiter brought them the entire menu for all to try.  It was a huge hit for them!

For our group a one and done.  I love quirky foods, however, my dinning date was my 6 year old grandson. Yeah, not a good idea.  Luckily I fed him pizza prior. The world dessert was excellent to watch and eat.  I heard this is available at 150 as well from my son. If you have the meal package, I would definitely do this once, take pictures.  An alternative is to go to their bar, get a specialty drink and watch the food service for ideas on what is served.  Also many youtube videos out there.