Tasmania: Wonderful with Planet's Cleanest Air?

From the London/UK Telegraph yesterday, they had this headline: Tasmania: Go to the laid-back island for astonishing beaches, stupendous hiking, bizarre creatures and the planet’s cleanest air with these highlights: For over a decade Tasmania had become ever more aspirational. Mainlanders (as Tasmanians call all other Australians) lauded the cutting-edge creativity and gastronomy of capital Hobart. Then the pandemic hit. Tasmanian food and wine remains stellar, blessed by the clean waters of the South Atlantic and the world’s purest rainfall, a byproduct of what is officially the world’s cleanest air (having Patagonia and Antarctica as your nearest neighbours upwind has its benefits). But post-pandemic, a new generation of lifestyle downshifters has rejuvenated Tassie’s tired B&Bs and put the soul back into soul-food. In short, they’ve reminded us that a key part of the state’s appeal is its character – easygoing, fun. The other part hasn’t changed for aeons. Tasmania packs a lot of scenery into an area the size of Ireland. 

Lots to love for Tasmania!!  Enjoyed our visit there in 2014.  We had only one day there, but we saw and experienced much. Nice to read this story and bring back great memories. Is this story a good summary and accurate for Tasmania?  Feel free to add your tips, insights and suggestions for Tasmania.  

Also shared in this profile: "Hobart is perfect for pottering. You’re staying at the port where convict-built sandstone warehouses now harbour galleries, crafts outlets and cafes; a lovely spot to browse and people-watch. Its Saturday crafts market (8.30am till 3pm) is a perfect Tasmanian introduction.  Follow the waterfront to the Tasmanian Museum and Gallery (tmag.tas.gov.au) for a primer into what makes Tassie tick: history, wildlife, green ethics. Ice-breaker ships in Constitution Dock are a reminder this is a launchpad for Antarctica."

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tours/ultimate-itineraries/tasmania-perfect-holiday-itinerary/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 243,340 views. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Terry. Tasmania is a beautiful state to visit and Hobart has to be one of the most convenient ports.  Just walk off the ship and you are in the CBD.  Pleased this brings back happy memories of your visit there.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Thank you Terry. Tasmania is a beautiful state to visit and Hobart has to be one of the most convenient ports.  Just walk off the ship and you are in the CBD.  Pleased this brings back happy memories of your visit there.

YES!!  Tasmania is beautiful and very interesting.  Need some proof and evidence?

We visited Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary and Port Arthur, the historic Tasmanian penal colony.  As these visuals from 2014 verify, we had great weather.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Early 2020, many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog;

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

Here is a full view of an emu at the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary. Next is Susan from our group getting ready to feed an emu, but becoming a little surprised by how aggressive this unique animal got by putting its head under the fence. Finally, a really close-up view of their heads. Susan thought they seemed fairly oily on the tops of their heads. Not all animals are cute and perfect in their looks!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

TasWildlifeCtr14_zpsd7da1b4b.webp.1822e3ea007cf31013b48766b9f3c279.webp

TasWildlifeCtr16_zps26ca2d3e.webp.4ffe094c34cfbfc21de9aea528b5bba2.webp

TasWildlifeCtr15_zps2487cf2b.webp.e2156b3527f893d0c3a73b1b0f6b9ef8.webp

How can you not love seeing the Koalas up close and personal? Unlike at Kangaroo Island, we did not see this one in the wild, but here we got closer. What a face? So, so super cute!!:

TasWildlifeCtr110_zps57a44f7e.webp.db69d07a6848e12547d199591b0af689.webp

Here is a mother Kangaroo with the baby “Joey” in the pouch. We saw two different mothers carrying babies in their pouch.:

TasWildlifeCtr11_zps7ecc084b.webp.dfb80ab8a2fca6ce3903b4fa2c3663ae.webp

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Thanks 1

Some brief visuals below from Port Arthur, the historic Tasmanian penal colony, etc.  Love the perfect blue skies!! 

From Port Arthur, the historic Tasmanian penal colony seen during our stop in Hobart, here are a series of view of the sights there. First is an overview for a portion of this camp. Second, is a view from some of the old building remains towards to the nearby water area and the location where the prisoners would arrive from England for this “visit”. It took six to nine months to make the journey from England to this distant part of the world. Third is an interior view as some members of our Central Ohio group tour and learn more about daily operations here.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

TasWildlifeCtr19_zps66bff896.webp.ce3beec9d0210c064f698bad9c79a3fb.webp

TasWildlifeCtr11_zpsa994244d.webp.a0b716d6d3bc5bda4697a8ad9d691468.webp

TasWildlifeCtr14_zps5845b50e.webp.928aca72591710bb9e8c0229cba4310d.webp

As we traveled to Port Arthur, this was one of the scenic beach/shore views. Like this weather? Look like an attractive location?:

TasWildlifeCtr114_zps9662337f.webp.120e47287e9ce125f5e86cf0c813e16e.webp

Here is Karen from our Central Ohio group finding a cute Kangaroo for feeding at Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary. And, surprise!!, this mother has an even more lovable baby in the pouch. This is getting really up close and personal.:

TasWildlifeCtr13_zps18702109.webp.6dbfc5e3ebbfa4408dad9c02b592ae01.webp

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

becoming a little surprised by how aggressive this unique animal got by putting its head under the fence.

Emus can be very aggressive and fearless. You don't want to get too close to their legs and claws.  I once was about to start eating a large bread roll when an emu deftly took it from my hand and swallowed it whole. You could watch the lump moving down its neck.

Kangaroo "babies" are called joeys.

Those cute koalas can be more aggressive and vicious than emu's. Only go near ones that are in a petting zoo. And don't even mention the "drop bears"

If you see a kangaroo in the wild, make sure that it has a pouch. The males can send you to hospital, or worse.

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

Not sure how things are for the US, but these UK Telegraph articles are behind a paywall for me.

Arxcards, to get behind most paywalls, pefix it with"12ft.io/". eg. https://12ft.io/https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tours/ultimate-itineraries/tasmania-perfect-holiday-itinerary/

You don't need to include the first https://

Edited by yarramar
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, yarramar said:

Arxcards, to get behind most paywalls, pefix it with"12ft.io/". eg. https://12ft.io/https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tours/ultimate-itineraries/tasmania-perfect-holiday-itinerary/

That is clever!  I usually find the information by another sauce.

11 hours ago, yarramar said:

Appreciate this helpful follow-up from our Australia friend.  Yes, paywall can be a challenge.  

Also, enjoyed this added Kangaroo background: "Kangaroo 'babies' are called joeys.  Those cute koalas can be more aggressive and vicious than emu's. Only go near ones that are in a petting zoo. And don't even mention the 'drop bears'.  If you see a kangaroo in the wild, make sure that it has a pouch. The males can send you to hospital, or worse."

Need more "eye candy" from Tasmania to bring back nice memories from visiting this interesting, historic and scenic part of Australia?  See below!

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 243,340 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

From our ship, below is the view of Hobart, its harbor, etc.  As I recall, that red ship was used by the Russian to visit Antarctica.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)image.thumb.jpeg.f6e56932007a5dac8f550a723906e13c.jpeg

In driving back from Port Arthur, below is a charming/historic bridge in the scenic countryside, plus inside when visiting a church there.:

image.thumb.jpeg.a62f42d4b7d41ab4a975fab8db385ea6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9d7666f9139ae9bc6e6a6ac5f9c685af.jpeg

Here is more from Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary. Cute or not?:

image.thumb.jpeg.40c6bc9301e96298b08861cdf6dfaa4d.jpeg

At Port Arthur, here is a view for some of the historic stonework at this site.  Plus, the clear, great blue sky.:

image.thumb.jpeg.2f490ba782c011fa53c3f9b9a74b6668.jpeg

Near Hobart, here is their waterside art museum.:

image.thumb.jpeg.3f3eafa231023827241e31d7b8822e22.jpeg

The red ship in the first pic is the Aurora Australis, the government owned icebreaker used to service Australia's Antarctic bases.  It was replaced in 2021 by a new ship, Nuyina.

The beautiful convict built bridge is at Richmond, just east of Hobart.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

The red ship in the first pic is the Aurora Australis, the government owned icebreaker used to service Australia's Antarctic bases.  It was replaced in 2021 by a new ship, Nuyina.  The beautiful convict built bridge is at Richmond, just east of Hobart.

Super appreciate these added details and helpful follow-up.  I had forgotten the name for the town of Richmond.  Very charming.  As I recall that bridge is very, very old and has stood up well over a long period of time.  Those convicts performed excellent service during that construction period.  

20 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

The red ship in the first pic is the Aurora Australis, the government owned icebreaker used to service Australia's Antarctic bases.  It was replaced in 2021 by a new ship, Nuyina.

The beautiful convict built bridge is at Richmond, just east of Hobart.

I have been on board the red one when I was in Hobart a few years ago at the Australian Antarctic Festival. She performed sterling service.

18 hours ago, NSWP said:

I have been on board the red one when I was in Hobart a few years ago at the Australian Antarctic Festival. She performed sterling service.

Thanks, Les.   That must have been interesting going on board the Aurora Australis.   I didn't know there was an Australian Antarctic Festival.  It says bi annual.  When is next one due?  ? August. 

7 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks, Les.   That must have been interesting going on board the Aurora Australis.   I didn't know there was an Australian Antarctic Festival.  It says bi annual.  When is next one due?  ? August. 

Yes bi annual.  It was held in August 2022, next one is August 2024..  Mawson's Hut Foundation run it. My son was Director of the event last year.

Edited by NSWP

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yes bi annual.  It was held in August 2022, next one is August 2024..  Mawson's Hut Foundation run it. My son was Director of the event last year.

Thanks Les. I thought your son would  be involved.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

He has stepped down as CEO of the Foundation but still on the board and still runs the Festival.  He is flat out working for Albatros now as Chief Commercial Officer.

23 hours ago, NSWP said:

He has stepped down as CEO of the Foundation but still on the board and still runs the Festival.  He is flat out working for Albatros now as Chief Commercial Officer.

They say if you want anything done, ask a busy person.  Your son fits in that category,  How are you feeling now after treatment?

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

They say if you want anything done, ask a busy person.  Your son fits in that category,  How are you feeling now after treatment?

Feeling rough, like I have a hangover every day. Side effects of drugs are not good. 

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Feeling rough, like I have a hangover every day. Side effects of drugs are not good. 

Doesn’t seem fair, a hangover without having a drink!

lt is a beautiful warm sunny day here.  Is your place nice at winter also?

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Doesn’t seem fair, a hangover without having a drink!

lt is a beautiful warm sunny day here.  Is your place nice at winter also?

Like last night 4C. Today it got to 17C.  We get frosts, but rarely. It can get down to -2C overnight in June/July.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Like last night 4C. Today it got to 17C.  We get frosts, but rarely. It can get down to -2C overnight in June/July.

11-23 today GC 9-22 tomorrow. It feels very cold in the mornings, but nothing like 4c!!

• Like 1