New Zealand ETA visa

Finally, was able to get our New Zealand ETA. For weeks now we kept getting errors messages with the phone app. Switched to the on-line version and got it to work. It was slightly more money, but it worked. A small tip that may be of help to those using the on-line application instead of the phone app. You are required to upload a photo. The photo must meet certain size requirements, etc. After several attempts at downloading photos and having them rejected, my DW and I started searching the internet. We found a post that advised turning the flash on when you take the picture. IT WORKED!!! Apparently, the flash will block out any shadows that were causing the photo to be rejected. This is for the photos uploaded to the on-line application NOT the phone app. I have no idea if the same issue arises with the phone app. Good Luck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are flying into SYD for a cruise that basically goes to New Zealand.  It appears to me we have to have Visas for both Australia and New Zealand (thanks for your post, BTW, and the photo hint).

Are you aware of any health/inoculation requirements/proof upon entry?  All I've been able to find is that there is no longer any requirement to show proof of COVID vax.

9 hours ago, MrsB05 said:

We are flying into SYD for a cruise that basically goes to New Zealand.  It appears to me we have to have Visas for both Australia and New Zealand (thanks for your post, BTW, and the photo hint).

Are you aware of any health/inoculation requirements/proof upon entry?  All I've been able to find is that there is no longer any requirement to show proof of COVID vax.

I'm assuming you are travelling on a US passport and are not a known drug dealer, criminal etc 🙂

You don't need a visa for NZ or Australia. You do however need an electronic travel waiver -these are the official links 

Information about NZeTA: New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority | Immigration New Zealand  

Apply for an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) (highcommission.gov.au) 

The biggest thing you need to understand that you CANNOT bring in food or vegetables of any type into NZ or Australia - our bio security is taken very seriously here. You must NOT take food of the cruise ship at ports unless its a sealed commercial item(like a sealed protein bar).  If flying there is an instant $400 fine if you have a piece of fruit (or anything else ) in your bag - doesnt' matter if you forgot it was there. 

There no requirements for Covid vaccines/test at the border to enter the country- but there maybe still some for embarking  your ship in Australia - as that's state authority not Federal.  If you've come from certain places like S America and Africa there maybe a requirement for a yellow fever vaccine. 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, lissie said:

You do however need an electronic travel waiver

Am I correct that being a USA passport holder the NZeTA is required when having a flight from the USA that connects in AKL to Australia?

40 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Am I correct that being a USA passport holder the NZeTA is required when having a flight from the USA that connects in AKL to Australia?

You shouldn't need one if you're only transiting within the airport terminal but would need one if you are intending to stop over for a day or so.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

I don't believe so because you're not entering the country - only transiting - you'll stay airside and not clear NZ immigation or customs 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 11:31 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

You shouldn't need one if you're only transiting within the airport terminal but would need one if you are intending to stop over for a day or so.

19 hours ago, lissie said:

I don't believe so because you're not entering the country - only transiting - you'll stay airside and not clear NZ immigation or customs 

Thanks for clarifying the situation & for correcting my misconception about the NZeTA requirements.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

Hello

I am wondering if I am taking a cruise around Australia do you mean I can not take any food off the ship at a port.  Or is this just for arrival at airports.  I normally grab a sandwich or a piece of fruit to take while I am walking around.

Thanks

Mary

1 hour ago, msavino56 said:

Hello

I am wondering if I am taking a cruise around Australia do you mean I can not take any food off the ship at a port.  Or is this just for arrival at airports.  I normally grab a sandwich or a piece of fruit to take while I am walking around.

Thanks

Mary

Absolutely no food to be taken off the ship, particularly NOT fruit. At Darwin there are often sniffer dogs to check everyone's handbags.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Absolutely no food to be taken off the ship, particularly NOT fruit. At Darwin there are often sniffer dogs to check everyone's handbags.

That applies everywhere in Australia.  When I was in Hobart in January, they had sniffer dogs checking all the passengers getting off.  Then they took the dogs to the automatic carousel with luggage coming off and dogs checked the ports as they came off.  

4 minutes ago, msavino56 said:

Thanks for the info.  Glad I know.  I would not have thought about it.

Thanks again

Mary

You will be informed on the ship very firmly on the morning of every shore day that you must not take food ashore. Because Australia is an island nation, we have successful kept out many of the nasty diseases prevalent overseas. However, it is only with constant vigilance that we have been successful.🙂

Could a prepackaged food item such as a granola bar be brought ashore?

When arriving at SYD in 2009 we claimed the trail mix we brought from the US and because the nuts were roasted we were allowed to keep the mix. A couple on our flight decided to not claim their trail mix & when agents discovered it they were led to an office for violators…not smart of them.

13 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Could a prepackaged food item such as a granola bar be brought ashore?

When arriving at SYD in 2009 we claimed the trail mix we brought from the US and because the nuts were roasted we were allowed to keep the mix. A couple on our flight decided to not claim their trail mix & when agents discovered it they were led to an office for violators…not smart of them.

oh no!  I feel bad enough when the little dog stops at my feet because I use a bag which used to have food in it on my travels.  

14 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

m

• Like 1

So my husband & I will be taking a round trip cruise from Sydney to New Zealand.  After 10 days in Australia we will fly back to Auckland to catch a South Pacific cruise. What kind of NZ visa will we need?

Thanks for your help.

On 5/31/2023 at 8:44 AM, lissie said:

The biggest thing you need to understand that you CANNOT bring in food or vegetables of any type into NZ or Australia - our bio security is taken very seriously here.

Actually you can bring food when flying into Australia, don't know for NZ.

Some food items are allowed others are forbidden.

But if your carrying food of any type, even herbs, natural herb medications etc, you must declare them on your entry card. There are heavy fines for not declaring anything you put in your mouth to ingest, even if it is a permitted item.

Some woods and other items are banned as well.

If you check the Australian customs web site, you can see a list of forbidden items that should not be carried with you, when entering Australia.

3 hours ago, daydreamer16 said:

So my husband & I will be taking a round trip cruise from Sydney to New Zealand.  After 10 days in Australia we will fly back to Auckland to catch a South Pacific cruise. What kind of NZ visa will we need?

Thanks for your help.

For both countries you will need an electronic travel authority - Australia is an  ETA and New Zealand is a NZeTA

The ETA has be applied for on the government ETA app. Apple Store (Apple) or Google Play store (Android).

The NZeTA can be applied for through the gov app or online - the links are on the page linked above.

17 hours ago, possum52 said:

For both countries you will need an electronic travel authority - Australia is an  ETA and New Zealand is a NZeTA

The ETA has be applied for on the government ETA app. Apple Store (Apple) or Google Play store (Android).

The NZeTA can be applied for through the gov app or online - the links are on the page linked above.

Thanks for the info but I guess my question wasn't clear. I'm going to enter NZ twice once as a cruise passenger on 3/16/2024 & then at the airport in Auckland 4/3/24. Can I just use the first Visa for the second trip?

1 hour ago, daydreamer16 said:

Thanks for the info but I guess my question wasn't clear. I'm going to enter NZ twice once as a cruise passenger on 3/16/2024 & then at the airport in Auckland 4/3/24. Can I just use the first Visa for the second trip?

Yes.  A NZ ETA lasts two years.

3 hours ago, daydreamer16 said:

From the link I provided above - 

An NZeTA is valid for 2 years for travellers, and 5 years for crew members. You can use your NZeTA for multiple visits while it is valid. 

On 6/4/2023 at 3:50 PM, MMDown Under said:

Yes.  A NZ ETA lasts two years.

On 6/4/2023 at 5:31 PM, possum52 said:

From the link I provided above - 

An NZeTA is valid for 2 years for travellers, and 5 years for crew members. You can use your NZeTA for multiple visits while it is valid. 

Thank you both so much! Can't wait for my first trip to Australia! All of the Australians I've met over many cruises are super nice, just like you guys!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2023 at 11:34 PM, MrsB05 said:

I have been told my multiple people that the Australian online ETA does not work.  They were all able to get the ETA using the app. This information is from as late as February 2023.  I don't know if it's been fixed since then.

48 minutes ago, sciencewonk said:

I have been told my multiple people that the Australian online ETA does not work.  They were all able to get the ETA using the app. This information is from as late as February 2023.  I don't know if it's been fixed since then.

There is no way to get your ETA online and there hasn't been for a year or so, this option has been removed, it is 'not out of order' The only way now is on the app as per stated on the links below. If you are unable to use the app, you can apply for another visa - the information is available through these links.

Australia ETA

ETA Guide/How to