Still need PIN numbers?

Is it still the case that I will need to know the PIN numbers for my credit cards for purchases and transit tickets?  I'm not concerned about cash advances as I never use my credit cards for that.  We will be spending most of our time in Copenhagen and Stockholm.  So many things seem to be "tap and go" now that I'm wondering if the need for PINs is obsolete.  Thanks for any info. 

US cards DON'T require PIN numbers in Europe. Never have. There is coding on the cards that address this...most US issued credit cards don't have PINs. Only one of our 3 does.  Yes, a PIN number is good, but not required.

Many terminals are “tap and go" but not all - contactless transactions above  DKK 350 or if the sum of transactions exceed DKK1.000 in a day a pin or signature is required 

Those “tap and go" terminals will also accept ApplePay and no need for pin.

However, Chip and PIN is the standard payment method in Denmark, and many small businesses as well as automated machines and self-service terminals, may not accept magnetic stripe cards or signature-based transactions.
Many restaurants and shops will be able to handle magnetic stripe cards or signature but if you want totally to avoid cash a card with pin will be required.

Just called our credit card company (Capital One) and was given a pin, but was told it was only good for cash advances, would not work for purchases. The Cap One rep said that the use of the card simply does not prompt for the input of a PIN at the point of purchase. This is very confusing. I hope you're right CruiserBruce. 

14 minutes ago, avalong said:

Just called our credit card company (Capital One) and was given a pin, but was told it was only good for cash advances, would not work for purchases. The Cap One rep said that the use of the card simply does not prompt for the input of a PIN at the point of purchase. This is very confusing. I hope you're right CruiserBruce. 

Only been to Europe 15 or 20 times, including last July (Copenhagen)and are flying there (AMS) in 3 weeks. Have used a PIN exactly once...in a train station ticket machine. Never had our credit cards denied.

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Only been to Europe 15 or 20 times, including last July (Copenhagen)and are flying there (AMS) in 3 weeks. Have used a PIN exactly once...in a train station ticket machine. Never had our credit cards denied.

Thanks. It's been a few years since we were there, and I seem to recall this same controversy. I don't recall having any issues either, but memory fades....  

6 hours ago, avalong said:

This is very confusing. I hope you're right CruiserBruce. 

CruiseBruce is right. In general your card will work in shops, restaurants, and hotels.

But it might not work in ticket vending machines, and self-service terminals and maybe some small businesses like street food. 
I have not used cash for the last 5 years - only credit card, but if you do not have ‘chip and pin’ there might be situations where cash is needed.

Full disclosure, this was not in the Scandinavian countries, but I am just now ending a 3 week trip to Italy, Croatia, Slovenia, Montenegro, Greece and Spain.  I never once took my credit card out of my pocket.  I used Apple Pay, via my iPhone, for every non-cash transaction.  And I rarely used cash. It is linked to my Capital One QuickSilver credit card.  It was accepted for every purchase from 600 euro hotel bills to 1 euro bottles of water.  On a couple larger transactions, I needed to validate my phone via my phone pin instead of FaceID facial recognition.  But I never entered a credit card pin.  My card does not have one.  

I’m currently in Iceland. My PIN has been required only at a self serve gas pump, which then has been consistently denied. Thank goodness my daughter’s PIN is accepted. I have no clue why one works but not the other. 

Every other transaction we’ve made has been tap to pay without a problem with my card. 

1 hour ago, ljandgb said:

My PIN has been required only at a self serve gas pump, which then has been consistently denied. Thank goodness my daughter’s PIN is accepted. I have no clue why one works but not the other. 

It might be that your PIN is only to get a cash advance, not a full chip and PIN card, while your daughter's is the real deal.

1 hour ago, ljandgb said:

Every other transaction we’ve made has been tap to pay without a problem with my card. 

Might be a problem with your credit card. The limit for contactless payments is ISK 7,500 (USD 53) per transaction.

You’re probably both wrong 😀, only because it worked at the same station yesterday but I tapped it then was told to insert it, and it didn’t need my pin at that point. Who knows?? I’ve used it with insertion/ pin regularly at a place near home AND while here have spent more than $100 at a time by tapping. 

The mysteries of modern technology!

4 hours ago, ljandgb said:

while here have spent more than $100 at a time by tapping. 

The limits are different by country. In Canada, our tap went from $100 pre-Covid to $250. The limits @hallasm mentions are considerably lower.

I believe that Apple Pay has no limits.