Solo female cruiser & Carnival excursions

I will be on my second solo cruise in Sept. One of the stops is in Nassau which I had no intentions of getting off the ship. To me Nassau is a little sketchy and I don't feel safe as a solo female cruiser.

However, I am interested in the swimming with the pigs excursion through Carnival. Has anyone that is a sole female cruiser done that or another Carnival excursion in Nassau? Did you feel safe?

• Like 1

I do not cruise solo, but DH is a scuba diver, so he goes off on his own in Nassau and I go by myself. 

For me, Nassau was one of my favorite stops as it is quite busy and full of things to do.

I have always thought of Nassau as quite safe.  I have gone around walking and shopping all over the main town, as well as taken quite a few tours by myself. Once my mother and I did the Atlantis tour and explored the whole complex.  If I were on a ship tour I would feel completely safe with the group and the guide!

DH and I also booked the resort for a day at one of the local hotels and walked there.  

I think everything suffered a bit due to Covid, but most places seem to be recovering.  

I do know one crime increase was that tourists were being targeted for their gold jewelry (grab a necklace and run), but I am usually dressed very casual in the day while in Nassau.

IMO Bermuda and Grand Cayman port areas are a bit safer than Nassau, but I am no longer as comfortable in Jamaica, and a few other places.

• Like 2

Hi Megan!  My 85 year old mom and I love going to John Watling's Distillery for the best ever Pina Coladas whenever we are in Nassau.  Never felt nervous.  There is a street about a block or so away where Greycliff Hotel, a chocolatier, a winery, art gallery are on a very pretty street as well.  Here is a link to my review just two weeks ago:

• Like 3

I, too, am a solo cruiser.  I'll be in Nassau in January.  Have been looking at the CCL glass bottom boat excursion.  A few times we've just walked around town but I was with my husband, who was 6'2", a full 12" taller than me, former Army MP and former cop so I felt safe!!!  Not sure I'd go solo.  Opinions?

12 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

I, too, am a solo cruiser.  I'll be in Nassau in January.  Have been looking at the CCL glass bottom boat excursion.  A few times we've just walked around town but I was with my husband, who was 6'2", a full 12" taller than me, former Army MP and former cop so I felt safe!!!  Not sure I'd go solo.  Opinions?

The newly constructed port gave me more confidence in the people running cabs, etc.  I think if you are with an excursion you should be fine.  Even on your own, like walking to straw market or Junkanoo Beach, I would feel fine on my own.  Five years ago I walked my then 80 year old mom down from John Watlings to the port and the only thing I worried about was her tripping and falling.  Now she's 85 and we cab it up and back😄

• Thanks 1

I’ll be doing my 3rd solo cruise in a few months. My hubby just asks that I do the Carnival Excursions, instead of on my own.  It’s a nice way to meet other cruisers & make my guy happy! 🙂

🛳️🛳️

Bobbi

• Like 2

On 5/25/2023 at 5:33 PM, ninjacat123 said:

Hi Megan!  My 85 year old mom and I love going to John Watling's Distillery for the best ever Pina Coladas whenever we are in Nassau.  Never felt nervous.  There is a street about a block or so away where Greycliff Hotel, a chocolatier, a winery, art gallery are on a very pretty street as well.  Here is a link to my review just two weeks ago:

100% agree!  Watlings and Graycliff are always on my Nassau list

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 9:44 AM, Megan_Strick said:

I will be on my second solo cruise in Sept. One of the stops is in Nassau which I had no intentions of getting off the ship. To me Nassau is a little sketchy and I don't feel safe as a solo female cruiser.

However, I am interested in the swimming with the pigs excursion through Carnival. Has anyone that is a sole female cruiser done that or another Carnival excursion in Nassau? Did you feel safe?

I have cruised solo and have always felt safe on ship excursions.  You are at least with the group and you will meet people.  

• Like 1

Hi Megan,

I've cruised solo several times. I've done Blue Lagoon in Nassau, and have also walked all over near the port and have always felt safe. For me, getting off the ship and exploring a bit is all part of the experience. Taking an excursion will be fine. I hope you find something to enjoy.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 7:02 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Blue lagoon excursion was our favorite

Blue lagoon is a bucket list item for me.  We had it booked through Carnival in 2014, but Carnival cancelled Blue Lagoon excursions that summer, and they were sold out on that day for direct bookings.

So we booked it for the next opportunity we had... which was July 2020...

• Like 1

From our recent Nassau trip with an excursion... when you get off the ship, they have all the excursionites (trademarking that word) meet in a covered area on the pier right off the ship, grouped by excursion.  You wait as a group, walk towards the transport as a group, etc...   in other words, if you're doing an excursion there you won't be alone in Nassau itself.   
That excursion itself is on another (small) island away from New Providence and Paradise Island, so you're going to be around other tourists the whole time.  
Don't know how social you are, but if you're not like me and actually talk to people, you may make an excursion buddy or two as well.

• Like 1