To Mariner…or not.

Emdee

I’m curious what the specific complaint is on the Mariner in terms of it needing interior refurbishment. Wasn’t it completely refurbished, including cabins, in 2018? Is there really that much wear and tear in five years? Judging from the opprobrium, you would think it hadn’t been refurbished in decades…

…to the tune of $125 million.

Regent Seven Seas Mariner Completes Refurb

”…Inside, all public spaces received new carpeting, art, furniture and décor, creating a new look throughout the ship. The Reception area, featuring new marble desks and original gold leaf accented artwork by Atlanta-based artist Tom Swanston.

The completely remodeled and relocated library provides a new look, while the previous library space makes way for expanded seating at Coffee Connection.

Outside on deck 6, there is all new teak decking and new sun loungers.

In addition, the company refreshed all suites aboard with new beds, furniture and more.”

Edited by Donder69
Additional info

Ugh! That does look pretty bad. I’m guessing that sailing in such humid environments means that corrosion and mildew need more frequent attention.

That’s not something that was specifically mentioned in the article about the refurbishment, but it does look like it would need attention more than every five years! Presuming the article is accurate, however, at least the furniture and such should be relatively new which maybe means that stains, etc. are probably localized to specific cabins where tragic accidents have happened? That might explain why it’s hit or “mess,” but the corrosion definitely brings it down a notch if it’s everywhere 🫣 Yuck!

Kwaj - the photo is of INSIDE the state room - not from the balcony. 

Would you pay $1,100+ per day for a room like this at a Hilton or Motel 6?  

The poor appearance of our Mariner penthouse was similar to adjacent PHs and elsewhere.

Furniture was not new - sofa was threadbare, pillows lacked cushioning, ottoman leg was broken, stains on the carpet.  Baloney on the "refurbishment" claim.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, wristband said:

Dare I ask?  What does frayed and stained carpeting have to do with salt water environs?

Was referring to the posted photo of the balcony door....which is opened/closed regularly and thus exposed environment.  We are on Navigator now and had a couple of sea days with very rough sea conditions and let's face it...the balcony doors are not perfectly sealed...so we did experience some dampness at the exact area shown on the mariner balcony photo. That's what happens.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, wristband said:

2 weeks ago in a Mariner Penthouse.  Nice "refreshment!"

Mariner PH Photo May 2023.jpg

Did you ask for the siding door to be cleaned or are you just complaining? Some Stewards are not as detail oriented as others and need a little push. Did you ask for the carpet to be regued. It has been five years of abnormal conditions for cruise ships….. things are not as good as they were when the ships are in constant service.  

25 minutes ago, wristband said:

Kwaj - the photo is of INSIDE the state room - not from the balcony. 

Would you pay $1,100+ per day for a room like this at a Hilton or Motel 6?  

The poor appearance of our Mariner penthouse was similar to adjacent PHs and elsewhere.

Furniture was not new - sofa was threadbare, pillows lacked cushioning, ottoman leg was broken, stains on the carpet.  Baloney on the "refurbishment" claim.

If you had broken furniture in your penthouse and didn’t request a replacement when you boarded you were in reality just passing the buck.

24 minutes ago, wristband said:

Dare I ask?  What does frayed and stained carpeting have to do with salt water environs?

Seawater gets in the slider when there are open and not everyone is careful about keeping the door closed. This is a picture of the carpet round a door opening…..” that is what.”

We were on the Splendor in Dec the newest ship and there was damage staining on the carpet around the slider from the saltwater. There was also a stain( from cleaning up something) on the sofa and the carpet in front of the sofa. Life at sea is hard on ships.I agree the Mariner and the Navigator are due for a refresh. But We we’re on the Navigator in Jan, the public rooms were good condition, some suites had more abuse an others. If you are assigned one like that you need to bring to the attention of housekeeping and maintenance. That will not stop us from sailing on our two most favorite ships… worth every penny compared to that we get on other lines for about the same money.

Edited by cwn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

We are in a PH A, 1114, now. Everything is in good condition, though dated. Our balcony door does not look like the picture. I think the curtains, sheers, and bed skirts have been replaced. We’ve been on Mariner a lot in a variety of suites. This is our favorite.

I don't want to debate why you think I am a horrible person and that I am to blame for the poor condition of the stateroom.

As for voicing concern onboard, why would you assume that was not the case for five months?

Five years seems pretty recent to me, but what do I know? Maybe in the world of cruise ships that’s too infrequent. My guess is that, like most pro and con discussions on the internet the truth is more nuanced. It seems to be an indisputable fact that there was $125 million refurbishment five years ago. Was it good enough? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I only surface the article because I am going on my first Regent cruise on the Mariner next December, and I am looking for objective feedback while I still have time to change my mind without hideous penalties. We mainly chose our trip based on the itinerary. (You don’t see that many Christmas cruises to the Amazon.) 

Point is well taken that speaking to management might help, if not solve, the problem. Doubtful that one could get a new cabin, however, on a booked cruise.

53 minutes ago, Donder69 said:

Five years seems pretty recent to me, but what do I know? Maybe in the world of cruise ships that’s too infrequent. My guess is that, like most pro and con discussions on the internet the truth is more nuanced. It seems to be an indisputable fact that there was $125 million refurbishment five years ago. Was it good enough? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I only surface the article because I am going on my first Regent cruise on the Mariner next December, and I am looking for objective feedback while I still have time to change my mind without hideous penalties. We mainly chose our trip based on the itinerary. (You don’t see that many Christmas cruises to the Amazon.) 

Point is well taken that speaking to management might help, if not solve, the problem. Doubtful that one could get a new cabin, however, on a booked cruise.

I would not hesitate to do the Amazon on the Mariner. It is the best ship in the fleet to do that itinerary. We have done the Amazon on the Mariner some years ago and will be doing g it again on the Mariner Nov ‘24. You will receive excellant service and great food. It is a wonderful cruise so different. The Mariner does not have all the glitz that the 2 soon to be 3 newer ships do, but she has the best public spaces of all the ships  including an aft and forward lounges with space to get out side and that is vital for the Amazon, Alaska and Canal cruise. It is like of luck of the draw about suite condition at this point. After 5 or 6 years she is due a redo soon. They were replacing carpet in one suite on the Navigator in Jan. They did some regluing in our suite- baseboard pieces had come undone. The curtains and bed linens looked new the sofa and chair were clean. The bath was spotless. The Splendor bath, sofa and carpet were not in Dec. I had them reclean the bath. They will try to please you if at all possible. So don’t stew, point out anything that really needs attention so they can at least try to fix it for you.

Have a great cruise.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Donder69 said:

@cwn would love to hear and tips you might have for that itinerary if you have them! I can pm you if you have any advice. Thanks for the council!

It has been a while. We were actually on the 73 day Circle SAmerica with a few days in Antarctica.  In ‘24 we are doing the round trip Miami like your cruise.
I did a daily blog for the first trip, We are doing some house repairs, I will look for it and send it to you.

1 hour ago, cwn said:

I would not hesitate to do the Amazon on the Mariner. It is the best ship in the fleet to do that itinerary. We have done the Amazon on the Mariner some years ago and will be doing g it again on the Mariner Nov ‘24. You will receive excellant service and great food. It is a wonderful cruise so different. The Mariner does not have all the glitz that the 2 soon to be 3 newer ships do, but she has the best public spaces of all the ships  including an aft and forward lounges with space to get out side and that is vital for the Amazon, Alaska and Canal cruise. It is like of luck of the draw about suite condition at this point. After 5 or 6 years she is due a redo soon. They were replacing carpet in one suite on the Navigator in Jan. They did some regluing in our suite- baseboard pieces had come undone. The curtains and bed linens looked new the sofa and chair were clean. The bath was spotless. The Splendor bath, sofa and carpet were not in Dec. I had them reclean the bath. They will try to please you if at all possible. So don’t stew, point out anything that really needs attention so they can at least try to fix it for you.

Have a great cruise.

So glad to read your post.  I'm on the Dec Amazon cruise - my first RSSC cruise.   It's reassuring to hear someone say it's a great ship for that itinerary. 

It’s amazing to me how some people just feel the need to berate people for pointing out some flaws in their cabin or their experience. I have directly encountered this from the same people but I am not going away. Quickly, the blame is put on the individual vs where it should be placed. Yes, we all should communicate any issues we encounter to Regent as quickly as possible. Yes, not everything is going to be perfect. I also think that something as obvious as this should be noticed by the Regent staff servicing the room. The personal attacks keep people from coming back and contributing to this discussion board. Could that be the goal? 

• Like 10

I wonder if the people in the Penthouse with the damage to the area around the sliding door, pointed it out to the Staff: Concierge or General Manager?

When I see a situation which needs repair, I say something and it is repaired very quickly. If nothing is said,nothing is likely to happen.

• Like 1

That’s a fair point but I wonder why the Regent staff that tend to the room didn’t say anything to management. It was so obvious and surely didn’t just happen on this cruise. There is responsibility on both sides.

• Like 1