To Mariner…or not.

Emdee

Seems to me it would be better for R to cancel a few cruises rather than continue to make these bad impressions.  Toilet problems are not a good thing.  We paid a bunch for our suite and even though the passenger mix, the crew, food/service were very nice, the physical ship is where you live for your time onboard.  We will probably try R one more time but not on Mariner.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

We had similar problems last month on Mariner.  

The water and soot almost reached our bed before the water was turned off when our toilet (8th floor) overflowed on the Mariner in 2019.  There were multiple dryers to dry the water on 1/2 the floor.   

Edited by RetiredandTravel
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Mariner is going to be getting a special (and very extensive) refit in the future.

@mikemoore Hopefully I've tagged the right Mike Moore.

As you can see from the many, many threads here on CC and on FB, the condition of the Mariner is of concern to many, especially those of us with a world cruise booked (ours is 2026 thankfully).

Is there any concrete info about when Mariner will be getting a full drydock?

In addition to the toilet issues, our suite last week had the loudest constantly-running vents in the bathrooms, with no way to turn them off, and hot water took forever to arrive in the master bath.  There's obviously some serious HVAC issues on Mariner.  And the internet is still abysmal, even with Starlink.  Doable for a week, but not how I want to spend six months.

My rep at Regent could only tell me that there will be a yearly "refresh" starting in 2024, and that a drydock would likely happen in 2025 but he had no idea when.

For the price of a world cruise, especially in a larger suite, you hope for better than toilet troubles and crappy internet.  All the fabulous food and great service can't overcome the other issues, IMO.

Those of us with cruises booked on Mariner really need concrete info and answers from a reputable official source.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

@mikemoore Hopefully I've tagged the right Mike Moore.

As you can see from the many, many threads here on CC and on FB, the condition of the Mariner is of concern to many, especially those of us with a world cruise booked (ours is 2026 thankfully).

Is there any concrete info about when Mariner will be getting a full drydock?

In addition to the toilet issues, our suite last week had the loudest constantly-running vents in the bathrooms, with no way to turn them off, and hot water took forever to arrive in the master bath.  There's obviously some serious HVAC issues on Mariner.  And the internet is still abysmal, even with Starlink.  Doable for a week, but not how I want to spend six months.

My rep at Regent could only tell me that there will be a yearly "refresh" starting in 2024, and that a drydock would likely happen in 2025 but he had no idea when.

For the price of a world cruise, especially in a larger suite, you hope for better than toilet troubles and crappy internet.  All the fabulous food and great service can't overcome the other issues, IMO.

Those of us with cruises booked on Mariner really need concrete info and answers from a reputable official source.

The last I heard was either November or December of 2025....around the same time as Voyager. I also expect the WC to shift to a different ship but I don't know when this is going to happen yet.

Edited by Pcardad

5 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

The last I heard was either November or December of 2025....around the same time as Voyager. I also expect the WC to shift to a different ship but I don't know when this is going to happen yet.

Do you work for Regent?  Hoping for actual answers from an official source.  Even my Regent cruise rep only had the same vague rumors, so i would really like someone in a senior official position to step up and give us some concrete info, preferably sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

Do you work for Regent?  Hoping for actual answers from an official source.  Even my Regent cruise rep only had the same vague rumors, so i would really like someone in a senior official position to step up and give us some concrete info, preferably sooner rather than later.

Nope, I don't. I can't help you with what or when Regent decides to share. I do know that Regent will tell you when the Mariner is slated for a substantial drydock (Nov/Dec of 2025) but I doubt they will tell you what is going to happen or plans for changes to future WCs.....yet. Your rep prob knows more than they are saying....there are some things that just are not appropriate to share before they are announced.

Edited by Pcardad

Mariner has had plumbing problems since at least 2018. We circled Australia in 2018/19. Occasional issues cropped up then. In June we were on Mariner for a month and lucked out with no toilet issues but had no water in shower several times. I agree with Jim Avery. Mariner needs to go to dry dock now. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, briar14 said:

Mariner has had plumbing problems since at least 2018. We circled Australia in 2018/19. Occasional issues cropped up then. In June we were on Mariner for a month and lucked out with no toilet issues but had no water in shower several times. I agree with Jim Avery. Mariner needs to go to dry dock now. 

Dry docks are scheduled years in advance. It's not like taking your car to Jiffy Lube.

• Like 2

Just now, Pcardad said:

Dry docks are scheduled years in advance. It's not like taking your car to Jiffy Lube.

I understand that. I believe Mariner’s last dry dock was in 2018. With the issues Mariner has a sooner than 2025 dry dock might be a good idea.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Unless Jiffy Lube completely reupholstered your seats, replaced all the carpet, recovered the door panels, installed a new headliner, upgraded the sound system, and maybe repainted half of your car...while still doing all your fluids and other checks, upgrading your emission controls, etc...

If they did that, well, it would be pretty similar.

😁

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, briar14 said:

I understand that. I believe Mariner’s last dry dock was in 2018. With the issues Mariner has a sooner than 2025 dry dock might be a good idea.

Covid changed a lot of plans but Mariner is going to get a very extensive refit when she goes in...and other things are in the works.

1 minute ago, UUNetBill said:

Unless Jiffy Lube completely reupholstered your seats, replaced all the carpet, recovered the door panels, installed a new headliner, upgraded the sound system, and maybe repainted half of your car...while still doing all your fluids and other checks, upgrading your emission controls, etc...

If they did that, well, it would be pretty similar.

😁

I would be happy if they could change the oil without destroying your car and charging you for work they didn't do. As I am sure you know, I was referring to the lead time required to schedule. Regent can't just ring up a shipyard and ask if they can bring the Mariner in Tuesday morning at 8AM.

If was booked on this upcoming WC, I'd be freaking out, having paid the final payment months ago. Could they cancel the cruise just before it to fix the plumbing?  I know that won't happen, but I would think it might be worthwhile, considering what those poor folks have paid for an un-refurbished ship.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

If was booked on this upcoming WC, I'd be freaking out, having paid the final payment months ago. Could they cancel the cruise just before it to fix the plumbing?  I know that won't happen, but I would think it might be worthwhile, considering what those poor folks have paid for an un-refurbished ship.

By "un-refurbished ship" do you mean a ship in need of refurbishment? That could be any ship sailing to be honest. Regent has a date and a list of extensive changes planned for Mariner that should exceed all expectations...except possibly the timing...but there is a lot of lead time required on these things. 

50 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Normal dry-docking is, as you say, scheduled far in advance.  I doubt the fix for the plumbing would necessitate out of water dry dock.  Plenty of spaces for "emergency" or other unscheduled needs.  When I was running cargo ships we had to have sudden work done, even out of water work done at short notice.  It's all about not wanting to give any money back.  Seems R would rather limp along and buy a large box of Band Aids to keep this down the road. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I would be happy if they could change the oil without destroying your car and charging you for work they didn't do. As I am sure you know, I was referring to the lead time required to schedule. Regent can't just ring up a shipyard and ask if they can bring the Mariner in Tuesday morning at 8AM.

Actually they can.  It all depends on alongside work or out of water work and where the availability is..

Edited by Jim Avery

6 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Actually they can.  It all depends on alongside work or out of water work and where the availability is..

True - but we were speaking of dry dock refurbishments. There are qualified people on board to repair most issues....and do so faster than sailing to a port that has availability and is within reach.

1 minute ago, Pcardad said:

True - but we were speaking of dry dock refurbishments. There are qualified people on board to repair most issues....and do so faster than sailing to a port that has availability and is within reach.

Having been on Mariner last month I can attest that this problem goes farther than change out a couple of pumps or seals.  This is what the onboard crew is equipped to do.  I feel that this issue goes deeper into the design and installation of the system and will require more "heavy lifting".  Imagine having to replace the piping and other plumbing related parts in your home...  Then expand it a thousandfold.  I have to think, since 2018 as reported, they have tried all the "quick fixes" possible.  But I, and you, and all the rest of us are speculating.  As long as they keep selling they will keep sailing.  Just not with us onboard Mariner.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Having been on Mariner last month I can attest that this problem goes farther than change out a couple of pumps or seals.  This is what the onboard crew is equipped to do.  I feel that this issue goes deeper into the design and installation of the system and will require more "heavy lifting".  Imagine having to replace the piping and other plumbing related parts in your home...  Then expand it a thousandfold.  I have to think, since 2018 as reported, they have tried all the "quick fixes" possible.  But I, and you, and all the rest of us are speculating.  As long as they keep selling they will keep sailing.  Just not with us onboard Mariner.

Regent plans to completely redo Mariner...November 5 - 25, 2025. Give or take.

Edited by Pcardad

4 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I don't know if you can call it a 'design and installation' problem if it's been functioning properly for 22 years now.  Granted, it may take more than a new flapper valve or float, but I think if it was a design issue we'd have heard more about it in the first few decades of the ship's life...