Saint Greg's Venezia Transatlantic May 29, 2023

Saint Greg

I’m going to send out my last laundry tomorrow. Of course Stewart hasn’t replaced any of the bags or forms I’ve used so far. 

Is it right that we get more free bags on these longer cruises? I was thinking 5. I’ve used 2 and could probably make 3 work but why try to cram everything into 1 if I can use 2 without getting charged?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I think self-entertainment on crossings is a holdover from the ocean liners like QE2. Westbound to NYC in this photo is Deck Steward Sean busy bringing deck chair robes to his guests who reserved deck chairs in advance. Chairs were $7 for the 5 night crossing and morning beef bouillon and afternoon tea with sandwiches and cake were served to us by Sean while we read in between naps under those wonderful chair blankets called robes. 

Sean.jpg

I could sit there for about 30

minutes and then I’d get bored. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

53 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

One guy in the audience screams out that royal has White Castle on their ships. I don’t think that’s right. Johnny rockets is the only one I’m aware of.

You're correct, Johnny Rockets!  And it's an extra charge except for breakfast. I would avoid any ship that advertised having White Castle on board as a pay food venue.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

22 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I’m going to send out my last laundry tomorrow. Of course Stewart hasn’t replaced any of the bags or forms I’ve used so far. 

Is it right that we get more free bags on these longer cruises? I was thinking 5. I’ve used 2 and could probably make 3 work but why try to cram everything into 1 if I can use 2 without getting charged?

3 on 7-13, 5 on 14+

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

I wouldn't either, but if things got really bad (has never happened to us), I would call guest Services and they'll put you through to the floor supervisor. Funny, on my last couple of cruises the floor supervisor knocked on our door, introduced themselves, and asked how things were going. I thought that was pretty cool. 😎

They have done the same with us the last 5 cruises, never before…at least that I can remember.  I have been approached by Maitre’d’s though

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

You're correct, Johnny Rockets!  And it's an extra charge except for breakfast. I would avoid any ship that advertised having White Castle on board as a pay food venue.

Not to stir up a hornet’s nest, but I have been corrected from people on Royal pagrs…it is not a charge for food, it is a seating charge (you cannot get the food without paying so……).

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

I was on the Triumph's 3rd cruise in 1999, and back on in 2002, both out of New York to Canada. Cruises back then were fun! Guess that's why we still sail on Carnival. Major difference between now and then are the expanded food choices and the Comedy. The thing I remember from the 1999 cruise is them rolling out the self debarkation. 😎

How did you survive without the roller-coasters, triple loop water slides and bumper cars? How primitive.

I think I enjoyed cruising a lot more before they tried to make cruises like Disneyland and focused so intensively on the family vacation theme. Lucky to get a dedicated nightclub these days

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Just now, Stallion said:

How did you survive without the roller-coasters, triple loop water slides and bumper cars? How primitive.

I think I enjoyed cruising a lot more before they tried to make cruises like Disneyland and focused so intensively on the family vacation theme. Lucky to get a dedicated nightclub these days

Back then they gave drunken people guns to shoot skeet, had pillow fights on a slippery round pole with paper thin mats on the deck, hit golf balls off the fantail, but watch out for that slice or ricochet off the railings. Beer drinking contests. Male nightgown contests that would make quest look like PG. Good, clean,  wholesome,  fun!!!  😁

• Like 8
  • Haha 21

• Seriously in the last decade about the only improvement that's added value to my experience is the Alchemy bar concept and I love the Vista Havana area. I'm not sure I'd book another Carnival ship without the Havana concept unless they radically improve the Lido deck swimming pool mess where you get to swim with 3,000 of your best friends in a mini-pool. 
  • Like 8

Just now, Stallion said:
  • Seriously in the last decade about the only improvement that's added value to my experience is the Alchemy bar concept and I love the Vista Havana area. I'm not sure I'd book another Carnival ship without the Havana concept unless they radically improve the Lido deck swimming pool mess where you get to swim with 3,000 of your best friends in a mini-pool. 

I agree,  and would also add the addition of many food venues,  some free, some pay. We hardly eat in the MDR anymore. 😁

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not to stir up a hornet’s nest, but I have been corrected from people on Royal pagrs…it is not a charge for food, it is a seating charge (you cannot get the food without paying so……).

Okay so I can pay the $6 and order 6 hamburgers? If so…it’s a seating charge. If it’s $6 per burger it’s a food charge.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Back into the fog. To me it feels  40’s with this wind.

Yikes, I think if I do a Transatlantic I will need one that takes a more southerly route. It's okay if I'm on an Alaskan cruise with lots of ports where you get out to hike (or have views of glaciers) but I think this would be too cold for me on so many sea days. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HxFx said:

Yikes, I think if I do a Transatlantic I will need one that takes a more southerly route. It's okay if I'm on an Alaskan cruise with lots of ports where you get out to hike (or have views of glaciers) but I think this would be too cold for me on so many sea days. 

Yeah I really didn’t think it would be this bad in June. 

• Like 9