Which airport best for the Meriviglia? Transfers to/from ship?

Jother

First time cruising fro the Brooklyn Cruise port, and I need your advice please.

Three questions:

1.  What’s the best airport to fly into and out of for the Meriviglia?  I’ll be coming from Dallas.

2.  Best way to get from airport to the ship in Brooklyn?  I’m traveling solo.

3.  Anyone have a recommendation for a hotel near the port if I come in a day early?I really want to try out the ship but I don’t have a clue about the logistics, since I’ve never sailed out of Brooklyn before.

Thanks all!  

Brooklyn is closest to JFK and from there Uber or Lyft can take take you to the ship. LGA is also an option if that gives you a better schedule. EWR is not an option as it’s across the rivers. 

• Thanks 1

As far as hotels near the Brooklyn cruise terminal:  there are a few located nearby

1.  Hilton Brooklyn

2.  New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge 

3.  Lodge Red Hook. 

4.  Comfort Inn Prospect Park

5.  Fairfield Inn 181 3rd Avenue, Brooklyn

Then Uber or Lyft to

Brooklyn Terminal

210 Clinton Wharf

Brooklyn NY 11231

Don’t stay in Manhattan unless you really want to.
DON’T stay near JFK. NOT a good area to be in. 

NY is not safe so keeps your wits about you. I live here. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rosieresp said:

Brooklyn is closest to JFK

No... if you check possible routes on a program such as Google Maps LGA is closer to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal/Red Hook area you'll see that LGA is closer than JFK. The shortest route from LGA is about 12 miles to the cruise terminal while from JFK it's about 20 miles. Of course, precise distances are a function of the exact routing.

14 hours ago, Rosieresp said:

NY is not safe so keeps your wits about you. I live here

OP is from Dallas. If you check FBI statistics you'll see that Dallas has higher rates of both violent and property crimes than New York City.

Obviously a person should be aware of their surroundings wherever they are, particularly when in an unfamiliar area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Rosieresp said:

That's a fairly big blanket statement that's not really backed up by facts. The vast majority of places that most visitors/tourists will be in NYC are quite safe. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

No... if you check possible routes on a program such as Google Maps LGA is closer to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal/Red Hook area you'll see that LGA is closer than JFK. The shortest route from LGA is about 12 miles to the cruise terminal while from JFK it's about 20 miles. Of course, precise distances are a function of the exact routing.

OP is from Dallas. If you check FBI statistics you'll see that Dallas has higher rates of both violent and property crimes than New York City.

Obviously a person should be aware of their surroundings wherever they are, particularly when in an unfamiliar area.

In NYC we do not travel by mileage. We travel by how long it takes to get there in traffic. On weekends there can be less traffic. Coming here on a weekday is a different game.  Summertime is lighter traffic because the schools are closed, more people on vacation. During the school year, traffic is awful. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rosieresp said:

In NYC we do not travel by mileage. We travel by how long it takes to get there in traffic. On weekends there can be less traffic. Coming here on a weekday is a different game.  Summertime is lighter traffic because the schools are closed, more people on vacation. During the school year, traffic is awful. 

No different than here in NJ where I live or other areas of the country. NJ Horseman checked today, a Saturday, and found the routes that he listed. That same route will take longer on a weekday.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Rosieresp said:

Well...I happen to be a native of NY City...born in Manhattan, also lived in Staten Island and Brooklyn.  My wife was born and raised in the Bronx...and even our son was born in Manhattan, so I think I have a pretty idea of how "we" travel in NYC.

The NY City Taxi & Limousine Commission also has a pretty good idea of how we travel and guess what? The principal component of taxi fare is mileage. Time only factors in when the taxi is traveling 12 mph or less for 60 seconds.

Mileage is also a substantially larger component of Uber fare than time, which is why when I use Uber's estimating function, which doesn't factor in the day of the week or time of day, the estimated fare from an UberX from JFK to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal ranges from $75 to $83, while the fare estimates from LGA to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal range from $58 to $64. Think about that...the highest estimated fare from LGA is $11 less than the lowest estimate from JFK.

Why? The math is very simple...the substantially shorter mileage from LGA is the reason. The shortest route from LGA is 60% shorter than the shortest route from JFK and it would take a pretty substantial traffic jam to overcome the difference in mileage, not to mention that the traffic from JFK can be just as bad if not worse than the traffic from LGA. As I'm writing this the trip from LGA would take about 30 minutes and the trip from JFK about 50 minutes, not surprisingly the time is the same 60% less from LGA as the mileage difference.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Rosieresp said:

As far as hotels near the Brooklyn cruise terminal:  there are a few located nearby

1.  Hilton Brooklyn

3.  Lodge Red Hook. 

Then Uber or Lyft to

Brooklyn Terminal

210 Clinton Wharf

Brooklyn NY 11231

Bad advice!   There are two Wall Street area hotels in easy walking distance of ferry to take you to right next to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Bot better and more convenient, in better, more interesting areas than those listed.  

New York is safer than Dallas - when I stayed at the Adolphus Hotel I was always warned by staff not to step outside at night - certainly more dangerous than New York. The Brooklyn hotels listed were in dreary areas, far from the cruise terminal, with little of interest near by.

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Bad advice!   There are two Wall Street area hotels in easy walking distance of ferry to take you to right next to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Bot better and more convenient, in better, more interesting areas than those listed.  

New York is safer than Dallas - when I stayed at the Adolphus Hotel I was always warned by staff not to step outside at night - certainly more dangerous than New York. The Brooklyn hotels listed were in dreary areas, far from the cruise terminal, with little of interest near by.

Great idea!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rosieresp said:

1.  Hilton Brooklyn

3.  Lodge Red Hook. 

Then Uber or Lyft to

Brooklyn Terminal

210 Clinton Wharf

Brooklyn NY 11231

Lots of great advice from NY visitors on this chain. I guess tourists that visit here have such a different outlook when you only stay for a week. I really didn’t think of the ferry from the city to Brooklyn. Staying in lower Manhattan might be a really convenient location to cruise port. 
Sometimes, and it’s so true that it fits here, you can’t see the flowers from the trees. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 1:22 AM, Rosieresp said:

There are people on this discussion board who live and work in and around JFK. It is their home. They take pride in where they live. To refer to their neighborhoods as "NOT a good area to be in" is disparaging to those people who live their lives here. Before putting down entire communities, please consider the people that you might be insulting.

On 5/26/2023 at 5:59 PM, Jother said:

1.  What’s the best airport to fly into and out of for the Meriviglia? I’ll be coming from Dallas.

If you're traveling directly from the airport to the vessel, then John F. Kennedy International Airport and LaGuardia Airport are both relatively convenient and proximate to the port in Brooklyn. If you're going to spend the night before at a hotel, and plan to stay in Manhattan, then Newark Liberty International Airport would also be a good choice, as all three airports have good transportation to and from Manhattan.

2.  Best way to get from airport to the ship in Brooklyn?  I’m traveling solo.

While taxi or TNC vehicle might be the most convenient transportation, it can be a relatively steep cost for a single person. Public Transportation is more reasonably priced, but from both airports the journey would require multiple connections. It is really a personal choice, balancing cost, time, and other factors, with no single "best" means of transportation. If your're going to spend the night before at at a hotel, then note that public transportation to the port is easiest from (1) hotels in lower Manhattan, with relatively convenient access to the port using the NYC Ferry service that operates from Pier 11, near Wall Street, and (2) hotels in downtown Brooklyn, with relatively convenient access to the port using the B61 bus service that operates from Smith Street, near Livingston Street.

3.  Anyone have a recommendation for a hotel near the port if I come in a day early?

There are just so many hotels in New York City that it is practicably impossible to provide a fair recommendation without some sort of decision criteria. Would you be seeking a hotel that is (1) closest to port, (2) close to public transportation to port, (3) close to airport, (4) inexpensive, (5) luxurious, (6) near tourist sites, (7) near some specific point of interest, (8) in particular types of neighborhoods, or (9) other criteria? With 125,000 hotel rooms, you can get almost anything you want.

• Thanks 1

It depends what you plan on doing once you arrive in NYC. Do you wish to do some sight seeing? Or do you just want to stay in your room? Staying in Financial District of Manhattan gives you easy access to Statue of Liberty viewing and 9/11 Memorial.  Staying near the Brooklyn Bridge in Brooklyn enables you to walk the Bridge into Manhattan and get some good pizza. 

Otherwise you just want a nice clean room in a relatively safe area in Brooklyn. 

Definitely choose either LaG or JFK for airport. 

• Like 2