Capetown South Africa Day Tours

Billybob79

We are looking for recommendations for full day tours in Capetown. We want one that goes, at a minimum to Table Mountain, Robben Island as well doing a City tour. Any suggesstions are welcome as well as contact information. Thank you.

22 hours ago, Billybob79 said:

We are looking for recommendations for full day tours in Capetown. We want one that goes, at a minimum to Table Mountain, Robben Island as well doing a City tour. Any suggesstions are welcome as well as contact information. Thank you.

As an ex South African .Going up Table Mountain is dicey.aIf weather is not too windy or too cloudy the Cable Cars will work.Same with Robbin island although there are far better places to see than that the island .

Loerie: Thank you for replying. I would really appreciate any advice you may have about what to do in Capetown in view of the fact that we will be there pre-cruise for 3 days. We will be there post-cruise December 28-29, 2023. On the pre-cruise,the first day we go to the Winelands, Franschhoek and Stellenbosch. The second day we do a safari and the third day we go to the Cape Point Nature Reserve and Boulders Beach.in the morning before boarding the ship. We thought that going to Table Mountain, Robben Island and doing a city tour would be a nice way to round out our time in Capetown. Does the fact that we will be in Capetown at the end of December make any difference as to the we?ather

48 minutes ago, Billybob79 said:

Loerie: Thank you for replying. I would really appreciate any advice you may have about what to do in Capetown in view of the fact that we will be there pre-cruise for 3 days. We will be there post-cruise December 28-29, 2023. On the pre-cruise,the first day we go to the Winelands, Franschhoek and Stellenbosch. The second day we do a safari and the third day we go to the Cape Point Nature Reserve and Boulders Beach.in the morning before boarding the ship. We thought that going to Table Mountain, Robben Island and doing a city tour would be a nice way to round out our time in Capetown. Does the fact that we will be in Capetown at the end of December make any difference as to the we?ather

Could you please tell us who you booked your trips to the Winelands and the Safari with Billybob.

We are planning to do something similar with 3 days before a cruise. Thanks.

37 minutes ago, rubyclaret said:

Could you please tell us who you booked your trips to the Winelands and the Safari with Billybob.

38 minutes ago, rubyclaret said:

This is included in the Regent Seven Seas cruise from Capetown to Capetown departing December 13, 2023. The pre-cruise starts December 10.

8 hours ago, loerie said:

As an ex South African .Going up Table Mountain is dicey.aIf weather is not too windy or too cloudy the Cable Cars will work.Same with Robbin island although there are far better places to see than that the island .

Edited by Heartfelttraveler

• 2 weeks later...

Cardinal Gal: We are on the December 13 Regent Seven Seas Capetown to Capetown se, which includes 3 days pre-cruise in Capetown, which is full of tours. We are only free the 2 days after the cruise (Dec 28 -29) and so far have not received any recommendations for day tgours in Capetown. If hear anything, I will let you know on this thread.

We are flying to Africa on Dec 8.  Regent booked us on Delta thru Atlanta. We will just have one day free before we are with you on the Pre-cruise tour. BTW, I haven’t played mah since I was a teenager, but my mom was a maven who played 5 times a week.  

Cardinal Gal: Are you flying the nonstop from Atlanta on Dec 8 in business class? When we booked the cruise about 3 weeks ago, we were told that there was a $3000 upcharge per person to book the nonstop on Delta. We opted to take the flight credit and book our own flights in Premium Economy, a first for us.Our free days are after the cruise. My wife is a mah jong instructor here in Atlanta at our senior education program. There is at least one other person on the Rollcall for this cruise who also plays mah jong. 

I hope this info can be helpful. I posted this in May 2023 after

Hello Kappy65,

I was searching for my cruise (apparently not on the roll call!) and came across your post.

I thought I would share with you what I posted this in May 2023:

“Hello all,

I love writing info on great drivers/guides for independent travellers. I have been blessed in my life to find many with great passion.

We travelled for 7 weeks in Feb-March 2023 and I would like to share 2 with you from South Africa.

JOHANNESBURG: After lots of research on TA, I fortunately found Moses Molepe. He owns mtmtours. He was very quick to reply to all my emails. I arranged for him to pick us up from the airport (he was waiting for us at 2am as our flight was 2 hours late) and 2 full day tours (Pretoria & Diamond Mine — Johannesburg & Soweto). I love quality/price and he is just that! He has been driving/guiding for many years but you can see he loves his job. He also dropped us off at the airport for us to fly to Victoria Falls. I booked Moses about 6 weeks before our arrival. Trust me, you can not find better. moses@mtmtours.co.za +27 11 766 5417   He drives a very nice van.

CAPE TOWN: As CT was our last stop on our epic holiday, I slacked off and had not arranged a driver/guide. After our arrival at our accommodation, the owner of the condo gave us the name of Godfrey Manual. I contacted him and AGAIN, we were blessed with the expertise, gentleness and great quality/price of this guide/driver. Godfrey toured us for 3 full day and dropped us off at the airport. He really became a friend and we will miss him. You can reach Godfrey Manual at info@impresstours.com +27 83 261 9597  Godfrey drives a very nice van.

The Canadians!😎

P.S. If you need driver info for Victoria Falls, Kasane, Safari in Tanzania and Safari in Uganda, send me a message…”

I hope people will discover Africa in general. It is a very special place.

Chantal

An African Ambassador 🦍🦏🦛🐘🦓🦒🦁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 4:14 PM, Arizona Sunshine said:

Having just returned from a few days in Cape Town, I can heartily recommend EA Travel Tours and Transport Services. Eshaam Abrahams operates a clean, comfortable car. He has completed tour and guide training. We used his services two consecutive days: once to Table Mountain and the next day to Cape of Good Hope and Simon's Town. He was happy to drop us off at the cruise terminal to embark the Norwegian Jade.

As you might guess, Eshaam suffered from the lack of travel during COVID restrictions. It's my pleasure to endorse his services.

eatraveltourstransport@gmail.com

eatraveltoursandtransportservices.co.za

AS

Reposting this from the Cape Town forum.

Just a heads-up about cable cars and funiculars in Cape Town and Cape of Good Hope: there are rolling power blackouts up to six hours a day. This affects operations, and these forms of transportation may not be operating at the time you arrive.

AS

On 7/4/2023 at 11:09 AM, Arizona Sunshine said:

Just a heads-up about cable cars and funiculars in Cape Town and Cape of Good Hope: there are rolling power blackouts up to six hours a day. This affects operations, and these forms of transportation may not be operating at the time you arrive.

They are NOT affected by loadshedding.  Those are major tourist attractions and have their own backup power, just like in V&A and hospitals.

Uber is very inexpensive in SA.  We've used uber in many places in SA, CT, Joberg, elsewhere.  Most tourists stay at V&A, and it's walking distance to a lot of attractions around there.  But if needing to go a little further, uber is inexpensive and quick.

There are many tour ops in CT, and we had hired several different ones (wine country, Cape of Good Hope, etc.), all good.  We've also taken the HOHO buses (citysightseeing.co.za/en/cape-town/map-cape-town

), including to the Table Mountain cablecar, Kirstenbosch botanical gardens, and change line to Eagles Nest, and Constantia wineries).

• 3 weeks later...

We have used the Get your Guide App for tours in numerous countries. Most recently for two tours in Portugal. These were small group private tours with excellent guides.  I just checked and there are some very nice small group tours you can book for Cape Town and the area.  You can also book a tour via the App for the Winelands. 

We also spent a total of six days in Cape Town last Dec after our two week Safari. We did do Table Mtn on our own as well as Robben Island on our own.  For table Mtn our hotel checked to make sure the cable was running and then we beelined it up there by taxi before the winds came up.  We had very favorable weather in mid Dec.  It is also possible to get up there by car. Definitely need to take the time to walk around and enjoy the views. 

Our trip to the Cape of Good Hope and the Penguin Colony was booked by our Safari Tour Company.  The App has some very good day tours you can join here as well.  Enjoy Cape Town.  We have been here twice now. Both times for an extra week. 

We have been to Cape Town two times.  Each time we booked tours with Clive De Bruyne.  https://www.capetowntourguide.com

On our first visit, we booked several days with Clive.  We toured the major sites around Cape Town and also toured the Garden Route.

Clive is an excellent guide and is one of the top rated guides on TripAdvisor. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g312659-d2491916-Reviews-The_Cape_Town_Tour_Guide_Co-Cape_Town_Central_Western_Cape.html

Edited by ruthnlarry

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2023 at 8:16 PM, Billybob79 said:

We have visited Cape Town many times, what a great city and surrounding areas.  Last time there we simply Googled Viator Cale Town and saw many advertised trips. We booked the Cape Peninsular and Boulders Beach penguins full day tour and had a great time.  You will see many tours via Viator, have a look and see the reviews then decide which is best for you.  Table Mountain is weather dependant but if you choose a decent day it will be well worth it for the views of CT, Camps Bay etc.  The Waterfront area is a safe place with many shops and restaurants and a

so where your visit to Robben Island starts.  We found a great restaurant next door to the famous Mount Nelson hotel called ‘Nelsons Eye’ which serves great steaks !  Stellenbosch and the wine tram are also worth a visit. Stellenbosch is a lovely town to wander around with great shops for souvenirs.  Enjoy your stay.

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2023 at 7:43 PM, Billybob79 said:

Cardinal Gal: Are you flying the nonstop from Atlanta on Dec 8 in business class? When we booked the cruise about 3 weeks ago, we were told that there was a $3000 upcharge per person to book the nonstop on Delta. We opted to take the flight credit and book our own flights in Premium Economy, a first for us.Our free days are after the cruise. My wife is a mah jong instructor here in Atlanta at our senior education program. There is at least one other person on the Rollcall for this cruise who also plays mah jong. 

Yes we are flying nonstop from Atlanta to J’burg. We had to pay an upcharge, but not the $3k you were quoted. However, flying home we are on British Airways, CapeTown to London.  Then American home through Chicago. Wouldn’t even quote Delta to us. 

• 2 weeks later...

We had a private guide. We had discussed what we wanted to do/see beforehand.   Robben Island I ordered tickets directly. You take the boat over to the Island.   At that time, the tours were run by former political prisoners. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/23/2023 at 1:09 PM, Billybob79 said:

Mrs f -- Who was your private guide and how did you enjoy him or her? I am looking for recommendations for a private tour guide for 4-6 people for 2 days in Capetown.

His email trainaticon.co.cn

Don't know if he has a vehicle big enough...you can ask.

Dave Train

He was superb. I think we had him for 4 days. Recommit to friends...they absolutely loved him