MDR open on embarkation day

I cruise on Royal frequently and have never seen the MDR open for lunch on embarkation date.  However, several people have recently stated that it has been open.  Is this something that happens and I just haven’t lucked out?

1 minute ago, sellwingri said:

I cruise on Royal frequently and have never seen the MDR open for lunch on embarkation date.  However, several people have recently stated that it has been open.  Is this something that happens and I just haven’t lucked out?

B2B cruisers have a lunch in there. I've seen Key holders meet another side of Mdr for lunch, though it might not always be there. There are people who eat in there not general pax that I've seen. 

Do a b2b and you will be invited. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

B2B cruisers have a lunch in there. I've seen Key holders meet another side of Mdr for lunch, though it might not always be there. There are people who eat in there not general pax that I've seen. 

Do a b2b and you will be invited. 

Yup. I do have a b2b coming up and hope we’re given a lunch although I’ve been on a few where we got nothing.  

I should have been more specific.  I was referring to those boarding that day.  

We boarded Mariner on 5-26 and the MDR was serving GenPop.  We were told that Mariner was running a month-long trial.  It was a limited menu but was very good.  I hope they make this permanent and take it fleet-wide.  I will say….they did a horrible job of advertising this embarkation meal.  Had it not been for a lovely lady in the D Club, we would never have known about it.

• Like 2

Same here. We did a B2B and were able to have lunch in the MDR. We order a meal, took over 1/2 an hour just to get a bowl of soup and it was the wrong one. We got up and left. Service  was horrible.

Cheers

Len

• Thanks 1

We’ve had recent cruises  on Mariner (one in April and  B2B  in May) and they have opened the MDR (deck 3) on embarkation day to anyone. 

Menu  is somewhat limited and includes just a few apps, entrees and desserts. It is NOT the same menu offered to the Key guests. 

m

• Like 1

I was on Enchantment last year in March and they surprised me by opening the MDR for Lunch on embarkation day.  However, I have heard that they have discontinued it as it was a limited time offering.

I was on a B2B in September of last year, and we were given the same menu in the MDR as the lunch offered for Key Members boarding.  In fact, we were allowed to sit with the Key People, as we had friends who had the Key for the 2nd leg of our cruise and we were allowed to join them.

It appears that it is ship dependent and some ships do, and some ships don't.