Cruise Insurance?

CChamp

My wife and I are going on a cruise in Sept. She has Diabetes and both of us have a history of heart problems (AtrilFib and Flutter). For these reasons alone we are considering trip insurance. There are so many companies out there, could someone give me some ideas of good companies to go with? Also, does insurance usually cover pre-existing conditions in case we have problems while on the ship? Thank you all in advance.

I use squaremouth.com and have had good luck with them. Their search engine is really good and you can use filters to get the coverage you want. 

There are plans that cover pre-existing conditions. Of course, they are more expensive. 

For preexisting conditions to be covered, you have to purchase the insurance within a certain number of days of booking the cruise.  The number of days depends upon the insurance company. I've seen as little as 7 and as many as 21 days. 

I found really good rates with extensive coverage with:

travelinsured.com (they partner with my credit union)

covermore.com (they partner with our TA)

24 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

For preexisting conditions to be covered, you have to purchase the insurance within a certain number of days of booking the cruise.  The number of days depends upon the insurance company. I've seen as little as 7 and as many as 21 days. 

Sorry, should be covermore.us

1 hour ago, Buffalobills said:

If you have a Costco card their insurance is great! 

When you say "Great". Do you mean the price is good? The coverages are good? or the claims process is good? Or all the above?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CChamp said:

My wife and I are going on a cruise in Sept. She has Diabetes and both of us have a history of heart problems (AtrilFib and Flutter). For these reasons alone we are considering trip insurance. There are so many companies out there, could someone give me some ideas of good companies to go with? Also, does insurance usually cover pre-existing conditions in case we have problems while on the ship? Thank you all in advance.

I recommend checking these guys out. But, I would also recommend calling them. It appears you have some questions and the questions you have are very important to the coverages out there. Good Luck. I've used Steve for my travel insurance for a number of years. I've had a couple of claims that they helped with when needed.

Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)

Edited by klfrodo

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2023 at 2:20 PM, Buffalobills said:

I get Costco insurance every time I cruise for the price and coverage it’s the best. They use Cover - More a company of Zurich. I priced out other policies and nobody beat them. 

Do they cover for pre-existing conditions.  I am on BP meds as a precaution.  Allianz said even it I went for a check up (yearly) that would be considered as a pre-existing condition.

Cruise was booked in 2022 and taking the cruise next month - Sept. 2023.

53 minutes ago, CarolRoy said:

Do they cover for pre-existing conditions.  I am on BP meds as a precaution.  Allianz said even it I went for a check up (yearly) that would be considered as a pre-existing condition.

Cruise was booked in 2022 and taking the cruise next month - Sept. 2023.

You are too late to get a pre-existing conditions waiver. It is a time-sensitive provision that requires you to purchase the policy within 14-21 days of initial deposit. Some policies allow it if you purchase within 24 hours of final payment, but that opportunity has passed as well.

On 5/31/2023 at 12:19 PM, Buffalobills said:

If you have a Costco card their insurance is great! 

Their web page says you had to book the cruise through them.  Unfortunately I booked mine directly with the cruise line, so even though I'm a member, I'm out of luck.

5 minutes ago, Florida Fan said:

Their web page says you had to book the cruise through them.  Unfortunately I booked mine directly with the cruise line, so even though I'm a member, I'm out of luck.

There was another thread that started back in May.  One poster said they called Cover-More and found out there was an alternate plan available to Costco members who did not purchase their cruise or any part of their trip through Costco.  At the time I asked questions on the thread about the differences, but I never got a complete answer.  There may be more, but it looks like these are two significant differences between the plans:

• Premium is age dependent
  • No 50% Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR)

If you are still interested you might want to call them about the alternate plan.. If you get any better information (perhaps a link to a sample policy) can you please post here..

I booked one of my cruises through Carnival and the other with Costco. You can still get cover more insurance even though you didn’t book with Costco. It’s a couple of dollars more but still worth it. 
I can find the phone number and post it if you would like. 

On 5/31/2023 at 9:24 AM, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Hi PrincessArlena'sDad,

Make sure your credit union will advocate for and help you if you have claim since they earned a commission on the sale of your policy.

Steve Dasseos

• 4 months later...
On 8/29/2023 at 4:46 PM, Buffalobills said:

I booked one of my cruises through Carnival and the other with Costco. You can still get cover more insurance even though you didn’t book with Costco. It’s a couple of dollars more but still worth it. 
I can find the phone number and post it if you would like. 

BB, I booked my cruise through Cunard and transferred it to Costco within the 21 day period to get the pre-existing condition waiver. 
GO BILLS!!!!!! (Today is January 15. 2024. ) 🙂

• Like 1