Princess Medallions arrived with my first inital and last name

I thought the medallion was supposed to have your first and last name printed on the medallion?  Mine just arrived with my first initial and last name.  Maybe my first and last name were too long to print on the medallion?  I did add a preferred name in the medallion app.

The mailing label on my package correctly show my first and last name. 

Has this happened to anyone else with their medallion and did it cause any issues boarding or on the ship? 

25 minutes ago, world_traveler_et said:

Has this happened to anyone else with their medallion and did it cause any issues boarding or on the ship? 

No one ever looks at the name, nor could they. The print is much too small. The Security people would need a jeweler’s loupe to look at everyone’s name. They just rely on the electronic reader. I wouldn’t give it a moment’s thought. 

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

No one ever looks at the name, nor could they. The print is much too small. The Security people would need a jeweler’s loupe to look at everyone’s name. They just rely on the electronic reader. I wouldn’t give it a moment’s thought. 

agreed

• Like 1

9 hours ago, world_traveler_et said:

I thought the medallion was supposed to have your first and last name printed on the medallion?  Mine just arrived with my first initial and last name.  Maybe my first and last name were too long to print on the medallion?  I did add a preferred name in the medallion app.

The mailing label on my package correctly show my first and last name. 

Could be if your last name is very long.  No worries.  

8 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Good response.  I do look at the name on the medallion as a reminder.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Grego said:

I do look at the name on the medallion as a reminder.

Terrible thing this old age business when you start forgetting your own name😄😄

As I see it the only real need to have your name on the Medallion is so that you can make sure you have the correct one with you - although what would happen if the Medallions only had initials and both passengers had the same initial could become interesting!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, david63 said:

As I see it the only real need to have your name on the Medallion is so that you can make sure you have the correct one with you - although what would happen if the Medallions only had initials and both passengers had the same initial could become interesting!

I live in a 55+ community where name tags are distributed and we are encouraged to wear them to events.  More than once, I have spotted someone wearing their name tag upside down.  Or worse, wearing a spouses name tag.

When you tell someone here that you’ve forgotten their name, a common response is “hopefully you still remember your own”.

I think the medallion has your name so you grab the right one, and not your cabin-mate’s. I don’t know how close you would have to be to read someone else’s.

• Haha 2

It happens to me every time.  My last name is 14 letters long.  First is 7 letters.  Just won't fit on that thing.  No problem, the bartenders all see my name on the record!  Not just Princess Medallions.  My whole name won't fit into my electric company's computer apparently either as my bill has always been first initial and last name.  Have a great cruise.  Wish I was planning for another one right now.

The only time I've ever gotten my Medallion scrutinized was when the iPads used by security for guest management ran out of battery.  Even in this situation, the security staff only looked at the ship and embarkation date etched on to the Medallion.

We were tendering in Kona, and the iPad used onshore prior to embarking the tender ran out of battery.  They couldn't get a new one ashore on time to replace the dead iPad, so security looked at each and everyone's Medallion before letting them enter into the tender dock area.  We then had to scan the Medallion once onboard the ship.

21 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Funny .. I did not expect someone to look at my medallion as you said the print is too small. Sorry if I was not clear in my message.

I was concerned what information the medallion was transmitting to crew for drinks, cabin steward, etc.  The medallion app on my phone lists my full first name.  I just do not want to be called by my last name if that was all they were seeing on their computer/ipads.

2 hours ago, DavidsNana said:

It happens to me every time.  My last name is 14 letters long.  First is 7 letters.  Just won't fit on that thing.  No problem, the bartenders all see my name on the record!  Not just Princess Medallions.  My whole name won't fit into my electric company's computer apparently either as my bill has always been first initial and last name.  Have a great cruise.  Wish I was planning for another one right now.

2 hours ago, DavidsNana said:

Thank you my name is as long as your name.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

Just curious, how long before the cruise do the medallions arrive?

Mine medallion was shipped by FedEx twelve business days before my sailing and it arrived the next day.  My notification was sent from "OCEAN Notification".  The package was shipped from Singapore and was in a blue envelope a little larger than the size of my hand.

You can view your tracking or check to see if your medallion has shipped on your app.

Here are the steps---Once you are in the app >tap on choose your wearable medallion>Than scroll down and tap on order history>Find your sailing date and tap on the sailing if you have multiple cruises>You will than see if your order has been completed and if so it will provide you with a clue tracking link.

I have the premier package and the additional medallion accessory that is included in the package also arrived.  I had heard it would be in my stateroom.  The accessory is a solid royal blue clip holder.  The pictures I saw on line looked like the accessory was supposed to have some wavy gold accents on the clip holder and the holder was a darker color.  You would think their marketing department would review what they are advertising to what you actually receive.  I also received the complimentary lanyard and a clear circle holder for my medallion. 

I wish Princess would have given the premier package cruisers an option of say two items to select for their accessory.

Thank you for responding and this is a great site to ask questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, david63 said:

Exactly.  How are Jonathan and Julianne McGillicutty supposed to know whose is whose when only the J is embossed?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Exactly.  How are Jonathan and Julianne McGillicutty supposed to know whose is whose when only the J is embossed?

Eh... I'd just wait down the hall and send my wife to the cabin and see who the door sign greeted. If it said she was me we could switch at that point. We have our Medallions in Air Tag holders and the dang things cover the names anyway. Fortunately her holder is white and mine is black. 🙃

• Like 3

On 6/3/2023 at 6:21 PM, Steelers36 said:

Doesn't the box they come in have your full name on it?

I seem to remember it does. 

Just put your Medallion in your preferred holder and good-to-go! 😄

1 hour ago, chshrkt said:

Doesn't the box they come in have your full name on it?

I seem to remember it does. 

Just put your Medallion in your preferred holder and good-to-go! 😄

They send a couple booked in the same cabin two Medallions in one box.

If it were me deciding on a long name edit, I would emboss the guest's first name and last name first letter, rather than the other way around.  Would work in most cases.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

They send a couple booked in the same cabin two Medallions in one box.

If it were me deciding on a long name edit, I would emboss the guest's first name and last name first letter, rather than the other way around.  Would work in most cases.

Ours came in separate boxes.

But your solution would work.

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

Ours came in separate boxes.

But your solution would work.

We have only received them once ahead of a voyage due to pandemic and last ones were in Europe and we live in Canada.  They came together.  Our friends just sailed this past Winter and had theirs shipped to our FL condo and they also arrived together.  So, it has been my assumption for couples.  Also, advertising photos indicate two in a box.  But I do know not much is absolute when it comes to Princess.

Edited by Steelers36

On 6/3/2023 at 5:27 PM, world_traveler_et said:

I was concerned what information the medallion was transmitting to crew for drinks, cabin steward, etc.  The medallion app on my phone lists my full first name.  I just do not want to be called by my last name if that was all they were seeing on their computer/ipads.

While names are printed on the medallions, what the medallion transmits is a code that's unique to each medallion. Think of it as a number with lots of digits, so many that Princess will never have to repeat a medallion code, ever. The ship's computer system associates

your name, photo, folio, cabin number and probably other items with the medallion code. The crew gets their information on their tablets and devices from the ship's computer.

If you lost your medallion, the only thing that could be gleaned from it is the code number. That's it.

So, your concern about your printed name being used by the crew should now be relieved.

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

We have only received them once ahead of a voyage due to pandemic and last ones were in Europe and we live in Canada.  They came together.  Our friends just sailed this past Winter and had theirs shipped to our FL condo and they also arrived together.  So, it has been my assumption for couples.  Also, advertising photos indicate two in a box.  But I do know not much is absolute when it comes to Princess.

Yes, what Princess does consistently is behave inconsistently.  Except when it comes to naming things.