New Crystal Enrichment & Entertainment

Keith1010

10 minutes ago, Worldtraveler22 said:

I find them useful.  What are you looking for?

I didn’t say they weren’t useful, just very dated as of my last cruise in late 2021…for many  yeas prior to my last crystal cruise, the same classes were offered

Nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

Ok, but.... “Billy Joel tribute show featuring xxxxx” and “Elton John tribute show featuring xxxxx” sound like solo artists, not full productions. And no offense, but neither of those tired artists are ringing my bells. And do we still need computer classes? I guess I’m totally in the minority here.

Billy Joel and Elton John ARE solo performers. Why would these be a production show?  They're both great shows that many enjoy more than once. 

• Like 3

4 ambassador hosts and 1 clergy  so  5  occupied cabins 

with all my respect for all religions : are clergy on a cruise ship still necessary? 

i was on cruises were 2 people were assisting the religious service 

10 minutes ago, vistaman said:

with all my respect for all religions : are clergy on a cruise ship still necessary? 

The Ambassador Hosts usually share a cabin.

Don't know if you are being serious or facetious about clergy. I certainly could say the same about the golf or bridge instructors, but I'd never think my preferences are the same for everyone.

Patty

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As ever, I think this thread proves again that we all have different preferences, likes, dislikes etc, when it comes to entertainment and enrichment. Perhaps what is most important is that it seems that NC is aiming to continue the outstanding offering in this aspect of cruising that was, at least for us, one of the great attractions of OC. 

Incidentally, great to get confirmation that the close-up magic shows are coming back. Also, don't forget that the OC Elton John tribute was performed by Neil Lockwood, so we may well have a new show here.

All in all, more great news !!

Edited by kool kruiser
typo
  • Like 7

I agree with kool kruiser.

Another of the many examples where you won't please all the people all the time.

Hopefully enough choice for everyone.

Yes to Patty. Ambassador Hosts share rooms.

Clergy do not although some clergy such as Protestant and Jewish Clergy will have a spouse with them and sometimes priests do have another person too.

There will be Jewish Rabbis on selected voyages.

Always remember about the Priest. They conduct services not only for guests but for the crew. 

This is part of enrichment.

Thank goodness a lot of choice when it comes to enrichment and entertainment along with Food and Drink and most other things.

Cheers

Keith

• Like 6

2 hours ago, vistaman said:

Regarding the clergy, they play a big role for the crew, holding mass at least once a week. In addition, I have been on several cruises were a grieving guest needed the service of a religious person.  It’s not just about the service in the Hollywood theater.  In addition, the hosts typically are assigned rooms that are not designated as cabins that would be sold to paying guests.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Worldtraveler22 said:

Regarding the clergy, they play a big role for the crew, holding mass at least once a week. In addition, I have been on several cruises were a grieving guest needed the service of a religious person.  It’s not just about the service in the Hollywood theater.  In addition, the hosts typically are assigned rooms that are not designated as cabins that would be sold to paying guests.

That is also very true however only Cunard and said by others HAL are inviting clergy on board. Maybe also on P&O

I am not facetious , i do respect  everybody  and all religions, living in a very tolerant city.  

The crew members do appreciate being able to attend Mass as do I.  The Catholic priest also conducts a non-catholic service  each Sunday morning.  Julia

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vistaman said:

That is also very true however only Cunard and said by others HAL are inviting clergy on board. Maybe also on P&O

I am not facetious , i do respect  everybody  and all religions, living in a very tolerant city.  

This is one of those that I am glad that new Crystal just like Old Crystal is not a follower but a leader.

Some lines eliminated these positions to sell rooms for revenue.

Similarly, both old and new Crystal give up a lot of revenue rooms to have a very substantial enrichment program.

This is why when another line does say something else like giving many guests inclusive laundry I always say do you want that or would you prefer less enrichment so they can offset costs with more rooms for revenue.

So glad all lines are not clones like most USA airlines.

Keith

• Like 3

As I mentioned,

Crystal was kind enough to provide enrichment/entertainment summaries for the first three voyages of Serenity and Symphony. Today, I am posting the summaries for the third voyage for each ocean vessel.

Please note as in the past these are always subject to last minute changes and there could be some missing information as well.

Keith

SerenityAug22.thumb.png.4a1f5dba51f4f7dee0036a3db8b15e95.png

SymphonySept18.thumb.png.642a3567815db3bd432fbc2fe854366c.png

Charlie Ryan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vistaman said:

4 hours ago, Jinn said:

The crew members do appreciate being able to attend Mass as do I.  The Catholic priest also conducts a non-catholic service  each Sunday morning.  Julia

Ar least as of up to the shutdown this is the situation I encountered. I think they are mostly still true.

Except on grand voyages, Cunard carries a priest only on QM2.  When Sunday occurs on a sea day the Captain conducts an non-denominational service.  They have always been very well done in my experience.

Holland America still carries a priest on every cruise (I think there have been a couple of cruises where it has fallen through).  They do conduct a daily mass but have only rarely seen them do anything for non-Catholics.  They do carry a pastor and rabbi on grand voyages.  In recent years a self-led service is scheduled for Sundays, and Mass and Protestant services are held concurrently in different rooms so the Priest cannot lead.

Only on Crystal did the Priest lead a non-denominational service on Sundays, and they always did a very good job.  I still tried to get to a local church when available but also went to the onboard service because I wanted it to continue.  Crystal only advertised those services on "Sundays at Sea" but I cannot remember a port Sunday when they did not do it except on a turnaround day.  One of the very special things about the Crystal culture.

While I did attend a local service in Bar Harbor off QM2 last summer what I now normally do is follow the livestream service from my home church.

Roy

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, nnn said:

Any experiences with Joel Spire or Dan Davies at the Avenue Saloon?

I sailed with Joel in September 2019…great experience, very talented and personable.

Nancy

• Like 1

Regarding James Fox and the Billy Joel Tribute Show, in 2017 we were fortunate to see Mr. Fox and the full show three times on the World Cruise around South America. It was a full show then and Mr. Fox played the same part on Broadway. It should still be a treat.

• Like 4

I hope many of you found the entertainment/enrichment listings helpful.  If you do, I will attempt to post additional ones.  If you don't I won't waste your time or mine or Crystal's.  

I didn't think it would digress into a conversation about why clergy and ambassador hosts are on board but this was mainly driven by one poster.

It was funny for a moment a brief moment but between that and the put downs of the Bill Joel and Elton John shows and performances it is a bit much particularly coming from one person who hasn't even sailed Crystal for many many years. 

My view is they are all human beings and they are all professionals and while trashing them doesn't break any rules IMHO it is really not warranted weather in seriousness and in jest.

For those who don't like a particular show or performer don't go.  But I will tell you that these two shows, along with Ambassador Hosts and Clergy are back because in the case of the shows they get terrific reviews from guests and in the case of Ambassador Hosts and Clergy because guests say often how much they want both and as we've said the Catholic Priests are very much appreciated by both crew and guests.

Does Crystal old and new do everything that guests want?  Of course, not.  But clearly in these cases new Crystal listened.  Same goes for many of the program returning.  Not all but many.

Keith

• Like 11

1 minute ago, TER777 said:

I share with many who are not (gasp) Cruise Critic followers. 

I’d prefer that Crystal did a professional job and published this information on their website in a timely manner so all guests could access it - just like their predecessor did 

This drip feed release through a customer is not what I’d consider professional or appropriate - or even effective when it comes to the majority of guests 

CC reach is minimal when it comes to the total number of guests 

• Thanks 4