New Menu for Caneletto

SUESEABE

24 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

I thought we were talking about past prices of Canaletto.  Of course I know prices have gone up.  LOL. Relax.  

And so thought we were talking about recent price increases. All good - well, not really, since prices continue to rise, lol. And ugh.

On 6/10/2023 at 4:38 AM, janmcn said:

Just had a delicious Canaletto meal on the Zuiderdam last night…amazing scallops (special) and the tiger prawns for appetizer. I always have the Affogato for desert but husband had the Tiramisu which was the same as before…very good. The table behind us had the short ribs which smelled divine…those will be our next try. Happy to have some different dishes…Pinnacle needs some revision too…price is now $25 plus 18% per person. All food costs have gone way up…why should cruise ships be any different?

DB8197FC-EF14-4335-B31D-EF1ADE4AEA1A.jpeg

Thanks for sharing .. We will be there 7/31 for diner .

Edited by Gail & Marty sailing away

3 hours ago, kacurl said:

Why do I not see their always delicious Bolognese???????   

The first time I went to Canaletto (probably 12 years ago), I ordered the Bolognese. They served me the exact same sauce and pasta that was on the buffet every day. 

On 6/11/2023 at 5:27 AM, Florida_gal_50 said:

The food was truly horrible at that time.  At least the food is light years better, or it was until this newest menu.

As always things probably varied from ship to ship. Our first visit 12 years ago on the Zuiderdam was wonderful! (And free) We went back a second night. Our most recent visit on Zaandam just before Covid was terrible, and we haven’t been back. I certainly won’t pay $29 even with a mariner discount to eat in the corner of the buffet. 

11 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

As always things probably varied from ship to ship. Our first visit 12 years ago on the Zuiderdam was wonderful! (And free) We went back a second night. Our most recent visit on Zaandam just before Covid was terrible, and we haven’t been back. I certainly won’t pay $29 even with a mariner discount to eat in the corner of the buffet. 

You never know.  I’ve had good luck the last several years.  It is a little nicer on the pinnacle ships but I get what you are saying.  It’s almost always boiling hot in there as well.  I really do like a specialty restaurant and I really don’t like the pinnacle anymore so it’s cutting down my choices.  I will have club orange on my next cruise and I find it stacks up pretty nicely to the specialty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/10/2023 at 1:13 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I've never been to Italy and my heritage is not Italian and I don't expect Canaletto to deliver on either one of those 

I will say with certainty that I found the food to be fantastic, and I lived in Italy for two years.  I just hope they can make gnocchi still.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Don Kehote said:

I will say with certainty that I found the food to be fantastic, and I lived in Italy for two years.  I just hope they can make gnocchi still.

The gnocchi were terrible on Westerdam in April. Heavy and chewy, not light and pillowy as they should be...

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The gnocchi were terrible on Westerdam in April. Heavy and chewy, not light and pillowy as they should be...

We ate twice in Canaletto during our NS cruise in May.  First meal was the lamb cutlets and they were excellent.  Having read rave reviews here, the second meal I tried the gnocchi and wasn't impressed, although the accompanying beef was dee-lish.

Also ate in Tamarind (not disappointed), but Pinnacle and Rudi's, for me, were more about 'theatre' than the food.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kate45 said:

Thanks for posting the menu a icant seem to get it any other way. It's a good thing I have the HIA pkg and it's included, as I would NOT pay for anything on that menu.

Try the Grilled Shrimp appetizer, the Osso Bucco, and either the Affogato or the Tiramisu for dessert. They get consistently good reviews. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 3:08 PM, keysey222 said:

The first time I went to Canaletto (probably 12 years ago), I ordered the Bolognese. They served me the exact same sauce and pasta that was on the buffet every day. 

How many ways can you make that dish?  I'd say it's the same everywhere unless someone doctors the gravy up with weird spices and ingredients. Then it's not true Bolognese.

• Like 3

Very upset that they changed the Canaletto menu!!!!!  I loved the Minestrone  soup - and I always asked for an item not on the menu - pasta Carbonara  - which they happily made and it was delicious.  On the Koningsdam in a few weeks and very disappointed!!! will be complaining loudly!!!

• Like 2

On 6/10/2023 at 8:42 AM, Florida_gal_50 said:

Because you are already paying for a meal.  I don’t usually sleep in the grocery store so the comparison baffles me.  I don’t get free cruises so I pay dearly for mine.  If they can’t makes a very good profit on what I pay they should stop sailing. On my last cruise there was plenty of availability in all the specialty restaurants so that’s telling me that people aren’t willing to pay those prices.  This is coming from someone that eats primarily in specialty restaurants.

I'm not sure when you sailed but ALL of the specialty restaurants were fully booked on the Koningsdam over Christmas. The same thing happened on the Rotterdam last July on a sold out cruise to Norway. HAL specialty restaurants are far better than Olive Garden or Applebee's.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I'm not sure when you sailed but ALL of the specialty restaurants were fully booked on the Koningsdam over Christmas. The same thing happened on the Rotterdam last July on a sold out cruise to Norway. HAL specialty restaurants are far better than Olive Garden or Applebee's.

I cruised in April 2023.  It's not like it was 15 years ago and wouldn't have a clue how things are. Of course they were full at Christmas.  A year ago was a long time ago. Things have changed.  I would expect them to be more busy on 7 day.

• Like 1

Just got off the Westerdam’s Alaska tour. We joined two other couples for dinner at Caneletto and enjoyed a family style dinner. It was all very good. The one exception was the shrimp/pasta dish.  The pasta was quite heavy/chewy. It wasn’t bad but was the only dish that remained. 

We were given the “old” menu with daily specials listed on the left. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Freshly made pasta, which they are now featuring, can feel "heavier and chewier". Sounds good to me. Real al dente. Matter of taste, so looking forward to trying it.

Thanks for that info on fresh pasta. I enjoyed it but the others quickly moved on to the other dishes.  Everyone agreed the beef short ribs were amazing. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tedw said:

Thanks for that info on fresh pasta. I enjoyed it but the others quickly moved on to the other dishes.  Everyone agreed the beef short ribs were amazing. 

A little more background on the semolina flour we we assume HAL used to make their specialty fresh pasta, from Bob's Red Mill:  (NB: this is  high gluten flour.)

....."Semolina is actually just a type of flour made from durum wheat. You are, of course, familiar with flour, but there are a lot of different types of flour, which is actually just a generic term used to refer to ground up . . . well, ground up anything, really. Your general baking flours are made from what is known as common wheat, which makes up around 80% or more of the entire world’s wheat harvest.

Semolina, on the other hand, is made from a species of wheat called “durum” wheat, which also has a few other names, including pasta wheat and macaroni wheat. Durum wheat grows predominantly in the middle east and makes up about 5-8% of the entire world’s cultivated wheat population. You will probably be able to find semolina in your regular grocery store, right next to the all purpose flour.

The main difference you may be able to see is that semolina is a good bit coarser than traditional flour, and may be darker and more golden in color (but this will depend on the specific varieties). Semolina can have a more earthy aroma than common wheat flours as well, but you likely will not notice that until after you get home!what is semolina infographic

What Is Semolina Used for and What Are Common Semolina Recipes?

With such a unique name, it may not surprise you that semolina is most commonly used in Italy. This is why people refer to it as pasta or macaroni wheat, because semolina’s number one use is in the making of pasta or couscous.

The main reason people prefer semolina for pasta-making is that it is extremely high in gluten, which helps keep the shape of pasta during cooking. This is how pasta can come in all different shapes and sizes without risk of falling apart or becoming a giant blob while it is boiling.

Semolina is a staple food in Nigeria, where it is mixed with water and boiled to eat with soups or stews. Couscous, made with semolina, is a common food in other parts of Africa as well as the rest of the world. In European countries, semolina is also used for sweet puddings and it can form a type of porridge when boiled.

However, the number one use for semolina is in pasta, so it follows that it is most common in Italy and surrounding areas. If you have ever asked yourself why pasta is typically yellow, that is because semolina is typically more golden than all purpose flour.

You may see semolina in other recipes, however, such as cakes, breads, or pies--we hear it helps make a tasty crust for bread! With its high gluten and protein content, it is a good candidate for certain desired textures, so check out all of our favorite semolina recipes and let us know which ones you loved!............"