Deceptive bar pricing

fergorama

Just off the Koningsdam after an Alaskan cruise. Every menu in every bar lists the beer options as being 16 oz. Near as I can tell after trying to order several, none of the beers on board are actually 16 oz servings. It would seem the easiest thing would be to put a sticker over the 16 oz note on the menu, second easiest would be to actually stock 16 oz product.

If the food menu says an 8 oz steak, I don't expect to get a 4 oz version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup - it says 16oz but it depends on what beer you're getting. Those aluminum bottles of Bud Light? They are indeed 16oz. The stubby of Red Stripe or a Heineken - those are 12oz.

I don't expect them to charge as much for Coors/Miller/Bud as the imports, but I guess it's easier than separating them out or specifying the volume of each.

Still wrong... and just lazy.

(I'm thinking management said - "Hey! we're getting these easy to recycle aluminum bottles, let's adjust the menu" but didn't consider that not all beer is available in those containers.)

• Thanks 1

Interest piqued.  Never thought about this, but most beer comes in 12 ounce bottles.  HAL's literature promises 16oz?  Maybe they meant their drafts?  I'd like to see a photo of the advertisement.

8 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

Interest piqued.  Never thought about this, but most beer comes in 12 ounce bottles.  HAL's literature promises 16oz?  Maybe they meant their drafts?  I'd like to see a photo of the advertisement.

From @Crew News website:

Ocean-Bar-Menu.pdf (rogerjett-photography.com)

image.png.bc5a24ec9a5dcad55845cdf8c763262f.png

Yep, the old menus did differentiate sizes with the brands.  This new one says 16oz.  That's not true unless they changed them all since November!!  Only the Bud Light and Bud I believe came in the 16oz aluminum bottles before.

~Nancy

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oakridger said:

From @Crew News website:

Yep, the old menus did differentiate sizes with the brands.  This new one says 16oz.  That's not true unless they changed them all since November!!  Only the Bud Light and Bud I believe came in the 16oz aluminum bottles before.

~Nancy

I guess HAL is banking on all the folks with HIA to not care, but if you're paying by the drink - well this is frankly BS, and worthy of a lot more attention than a new Italian menu or added fee for an extra app in the steak house.  At least HAL doesn't blatantly lie about that.

Has anyone tried insisting on an actual true 16 oz of beer, even when you order a beer in the smaller containers? Ask for one and one third 12 oz beers to make up the advertised 16 oz. Truth in advertising!

By the way, much of the world has transitioned to larger size cans, sometimes even 500 mL (almost 17 oz). Here in Ottawa, it is difficult to get a quality beer in the old style small cans.

• Thanks 1

Let me get this straight in my mind... $7.75 for 16 ounces of beer, that is $0.48 an ounce.  So you are 4 ounces short; I'd write to Princess Headquarters right away and ask for my $1.92 back as OBC on a future cruise. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, taxmantoo said:

Let me get this straight in my mind... $7.75 for 16 ounces of beer, that is $0.48 an ounce.  So you are 4 ounces short; I'd write to Princess Headquarters right away and ask for my $1.92 back as OBC on a future cruise. 🤣

I don't drink. So, I'm frankly surprised by this blatant misrepresentation. Its a no-no in any jurisdiction in Canada.

• Like 1

Brings back memories of the "foot long" Subway sandwich problem.

Didn't work out too well for the filer of the suite.

'Worthless' Subway 'Footlong' sandwich settlement is thrown out: U.S. court

By Jonathan Stempel

3 MIN READ

(Reuters) - A U.S. appeals court on Friday threw out a class-action settlement intended to resolve claims that the Subway sandwich chain deceived customers by selling “Footlong” subs that were less than a foot long.

1 hour ago, wandrr said:

By the way, much of the world has transitioned to larger size cans, sometimes even 500 mL (almost 17 oz). Here in Ottawa, it is difficult to get a quality beer in the old style small cans.

Its another cost saving scheme. HAL will buy the smaller size  for as long as pax are willing to pay for the larger size (a third more). 

Edited by HappyInVan

It just so happens that Canada has laws about serving sizes and advertising how many millilitres/ounces is in a drink. There was a big deal about it a number of years ago in Vancouver because a group got together about pubs advertizing one thing and delivering another. The BC Gov also had laws that conflicted with Federal Laws, so the bars were stuck in the middle until BC changed back in the early 2000's

Just to make it more confusing - Canada uses the British Imperial 20 oz pint (568mL) while a US pint is only 16 oz (473 mL)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oakridger said:

From @Crew News website:

~Nancy

I know for a fact that Michelob Ultra also comes in 16 oz cans.

L.

29 minutes ago, dawnvip said:

Just to make it more confusing - Canada uses the British Imperial 20 oz pint (568mL) while a US pint is only 16 oz (473 mL)

Canada uses metric, like the rest of the world other than U.S.A., Liberia and Myanmar.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wandrr said:

Canada uses metric, like the rest of the world other than U.S.A., Liberia and Myanmar.

True, but just like Britain we have evolved into a blended measuring country. 

- is your oven set to celsius or farenheit?

- is your bathroom scale in pounds or kilograms? (or stone LOL?)

-  do you buy lumber as 2 x 4" or 38 x 89 mm?

image.png.274616c488a3ec49a9703deefa4f5756.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, wandrr said:

Canada may be officially metric, but try to go into one of our local breweries and ask for 500ml of beer and you will be met by a blank stare. Out West, beer is sold by the pint or oz. Thankfully our grocery stores also still price fruit/veg/meats by the lb.

• Like 2

We have litres of milk and pints of Guinness.

Quarter pounder burgers but steak is price per kilogram.

I can visualise one yard or one foot, but have to do calculations for one metre or 250m.

🙄

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 3