NCL website only works well on Chrome?????

ontheweb

Tried to look at excursions for our various ports. On the ports we have not booked excursions, none show. (They used to show, which is how we found the excursions we did book.) I called NCL and was switched to the technical department. I explained this happened not only on my computer using Edge, but I also tried on a computer in the public library that uses Firefox. Their answer was their website only works well on Chrome, not Edge or Firefox.

BTW, also is no longer showing the place to book shows or dining when clicking on the day in port.

Edited by ontheweb
  • Like 1

I use Firefox all the time with NCL.com and it works fine.

Edge also uses Chromium as a rendering engine, just like Chrome, so shouldn't be many differences between the two.

I'd HUCA and try to hit the shorex department and just book what you want over the phone. They've been having issues with their shore excursions website for months now on and off.

Programming a webpage that works well on all browsers is a very difficult task that most web page programmers are not able to do or they don't want to spend the extra effort on it. I'm betting most of them don't bother to follow the W3C standards, either. I have 3 different browsers on my home computer because of this and each time a web page doesn't work for me, I keep trying in a different browser until it does work.

I use mostly Chrome on my Lenovo Chromebook when traveling these days but not seeing any issues running Firefox (always have an updated 2nd browser installed, just in case)   Desktop & good old Notebook/Laptop PC's running MS Windows 10 Pro, Chrome by default but I don't see issues or freezes, etc. with Firefox or Edge surfing NCL's portal.  All these running over VPN plus other "extensions" and add-ons, depending on the configurations.  NCL dot com has been iOS and Android friendly thus far - the problems, "sometimes" are with "their" apps and codes which I'm sure NCL's IT Department aren't entirely unfamiliar with.  

Try clearing cache and "cookies" on the browsers as that might help ... since they, like everyone else, are tracking and data-mining whenever we are surfing on their site ... just flip over to Edge, logged in and seeing shorex offers displayed for 2 booked cruises later this year.   Had a recent "issue" with booking extra dining reservations and it was on their end, live chat (and, calling in) resolved & fixed it.  

Problem(s) aren't always on our end, rather on their portal and if there is an issue on weekends, take a break and wait until Monday morning, their help desk isn't 24/7 and certainly exclude holidays and weekends.  For our (in)convenience, of course.  

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Tried to look at excursions for our various ports. On the ports we have not booked excursions, none show. (They used to show, which is how we found the excursions we did book.) I called NCL and was switched to the technical department. I explained this happened not only on my computer using Edge, but I also tried on a computer in the public library that uses Firefox. Their answer was their website only works well on Chrome, not Edge or Firefox.

BTW, also is no longer showing the place to book shows or dining when clicking on the day in port.

Safari, Chrome, FireFox running on a Mac..... No problem with any of them

image.thumb.png.5e7cd47d57beceb484a7ccb29c74161a.png

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 2

The webs site works absolutely fine on FireFox.  I tried Chrome one time and it is the absolute worst browser ever invented.  It is very awkward and cumbersome and lacsk doem os the very basic functionality of real browsers.

• 6 months later...
6 minutes ago, JetZetter said:

Chrome literally never works for me on NCL's website. It's soooooo slow and entirely unresponsive. Doesn't matter what device I use. Idk what's going on but I feel like I'm going crazy every single time I try to use Chrome.

Must be user error. Chrome and Firefox were fine on a Windows machine and Mac

image.thumb.png.43279e779026b2878eaa8ac8fd0922e9.png

It gets funky sometimes.  I fluctuate between MacOS and iOS with Safari and Firefox.  When one doesn’t work, the other does.  Don’t mess around with Chrome as it seems to flake out the most.

NCL definitely needs to work on their WEB site, though.  I’m patient and will try to find what works best via the WEB.  But, most are not.  And, that has to translate into lost sales if people can’t make the WEB site work or it takes tooong to load!

I recently got a new Chrome laptop. My old Chrome laptop suddenly would not get me into the NCL site...my new one gets in no problem.

In my case it may have been because my old one stopped getting updates. I know I had trouble getting into my bank, as well as other sites. The new laptop has updates until 2033, so it will probably outlive me.

2 hours ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

if it's not working in a certain browser it's PROBABLY an NCL issue.  Now I did have one time I think I needed to clear out cookies for NCL or something... But it's normally just their amazing site that has issues.. 

But they will not admit that. They will just ask what browser you are on, and say it does not work with that one.

14 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

I find most of the above comments to be totally - INCONCLUSIVE.

Counter claims about most browsers.

Maybe so older software versions are to blame.

Maybe overstuffed cookies or histories.

Maybe NCL  programming shortfalls.

😵

OK how about this.. If you try  it on multiple browsers on multiple systems and you are having an issue, it's probably NCL's skillz... If you works on one browser, but not another, something got glitched on the one browser be it cache / cookies / browser needs updated / some other stupid setting that you'll just have to figure out. 

5 minutes ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

OK how about this.. If you try  it on multiple browsers on multiple systems and you are having an issue, it's probably NCL's skillz... If you works on one browser, but not another, something got glitched on the one browser be it cache / cookies / browser needs updated / some other stupid setting that you'll just have to figure out. 

Fair enough.

Mostly, I was commenting on the fact that for each browser, some users have problems while others don't.

Welcome to the world wide web.

BTW, I mostly use chrome and I do not have issues with the NCL site.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Fair enough.

Mostly, I was commenting on the fact that for each browser, some users have problems while others don't.

Welcome to the world wide web.

BTW, I mostly use chrome and I do not have issues with the NCL site.

I use Chrome also, although it's starting to get bloated IMO, but anywho.  That was the browser that on one computer, it just didnt work.  Updating, restarting doing all the stuff, finally cleared something, and it started working.. It drove me bonkers lol

12 minutes ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

I use Chrome also, although it's starting to get bloated IMO, but anywho.  That was the browser that on one computer, it just didnt work.  Updating, restarting doing all the stuff, finally cleared something, and it started working.. It drove me bonkers lol

Bonkers...

the ultimate mission of all computers against humans; did someone say Skynet?

• Haha 1

We spent over an hour yesterday on the phone with NCL reps from 2 different department on reservations, and they had issues with their portals too, being slow or sluggish.  

On my Linux laptop now running Ubuntu LTS and no issues with Chromium-based browsers, Firefox or Opera w VPN ... - the tracking cookies & cache still thinks that I'm geo-located in Spain, displaying Spanish and showing prices & options in Euros 😆 😁 🤫 since a portion of last month's Prima TA Semi-Live was done on this over Starlink, got their server fooled. 

Sometimes, when and if Chrome browsing is frozen, I just launch Firefox or Opera, but if you get that 404 code, odds are that it's on their end, especially on a Friday and/or over the weekend ... common for I.T. to do their system maintenance, upgrade and recoveries, etc. and taken offline, not always done during that time.  It is what it is ... unless you are close to embarkation and need to access your eDocs or do online check-up, early booking for dinners & shows, etc.. 

To add to the confusion. I typically use Chrome which is largely OK for My NCL but it has had two issues which appear to be fixed now:

• When listing excursions in "Explore and Plan" - the title of the excursion and the port it related to were not consistent (i.e. an exursion for a port was listed as being for another port)
  • When trying to scroll across each day in the "Itinerary Overview" in "Summary" it would scroll to the end rather than list the next 5 days

This appears to be fixed now but it has always been OK in Edge for me!