Comparing 9 Day RCL Symphony of the Seas vs 10 Day NCL Joy … Need Help!

We live in NJ and my DW and 2 sons (21, 23) have cruised on both RCL and NCL… Oasis and Breakaway, among others.  We are looking at booking a Summer 2024 (somewhere local to NJ as we do not want to fly) with our 2 College kids and are trying to decide based on what we know, or have been told, about the two lines.

RCL Symphony of the Seas Pro’s:

·        Pier in Bayonne NJ easiest to use

·        Ship has sports area (one son really likes tournaments)

·        Think entertainment better (keyword: THINK… need help on this)

·        Goes to their two owned islands

RCL Symphony of the Seas Con’s

·        The Boys wanted to try other than a non-oasis ship

·        Cruise more expensive

·        Boys liked NCL food better

·        Booze Package EXPENSIVE

·        Dining Package EXPENSIVE

NCL Joy’s Pros:

·        Cruise less expensive (especially with military discount)

·        Boys liked food on NCL better

·        Booze Package CHEAPER as only pay gratuities

·        Dining Package CHEAPER and only pay for passengers 3&4

·        All loved the cruise on Breakaway MANY years ago, but that may have been due to Julie (cruise Director there)

·        An extra day on cruise

NCL Joy’s Con’s:

·        TA and others think Brooklyn Pier is terrible (IMPORTANT: need other’s thoughts on this) as compared to Bayonne

·        No Sports area for tournaments (heard it is now gone)

·        Worried about entertainment shows

Both ships seem similar in age, size, rooms, etc.????

Some random thoughts. 

Compare the total cost of the cruise, not individual components.

What ports are in each cruise, and do you what to see those ports?

Are you driving?  Much cheaper to park in Bayonne.

Keep in mind this is a Royal board.

You use a travel agent for a reason. Listen to her.

• Like 1

Let me say first off I have had no experience with the Cruise ports in your area so I can't really comment on that.  For a long time, I sailed almost exclusively on NCL and started alternating with Royal since the advent of the Oasis Class. I like them both for different reasons. First off let me say that the Joy and Symphony are not close to the same size or experience.  Symphony is significantly larger than the Joy in terms of capacity and tonnage. I am assuming you have not sailed the oasis class. If so, I think you would enjoy the difference with the ships neighborhoods and activities.  That being said, IMO NCL has better food and their main shows are better. Royal seems to have more varied entertainment options beyond the main showroom so that would also be a consideration.   Royal's Oasis class ships, simply have a broader range of activities particularly for young adults.  Royal's private islands are hands down better than NCL in every way. The down side to Royal is the $.  All of the sudden their prices have skyrocketed.  The cruise I booked for next year is $3000 more now than when I booked 6 months ago.  They are really testing the market to see how much people are willing to pay.   Just realized, I am starting to ramble so, let me summarize.  If your boys are the primary consideration for making the decision (assuming they are not yet of legal drinking age) I would suggest the Symphony is a better choice. Don't get me wrong, the Joy is a great ship.  It just offers a more relaxing environment than college age boys generally require (but the booze package sure is nice even if you only have wine with dinner). I hope this helps.

Thks... our last cruise was on RCL Oasis of the Seas and the boys (Both will be of drinking age in 2024) and they were leaning to try food again on NCL.  I gues the biggest area I can't understand is even NCL can't confirm whether Joy leaves from Manhattan or Brooklyn next year???  ... and I have been told to stay away from Brooklyn.  Probably a lot of subjectivity to my questions but your thoughts of NCL Shows and Food was very helpful... I just wish I could get a definitive answer of the actual departure port!

We have about 10 cruises with NCL and 25+ with RCI.

For us many things are comparable although Oasis class is just a ship in its own league, but large NCL ships are poorly designed in our view. No quality adult only solarium with pool/jacuzzies for example... crowds everywhere.

After NCL Breakaway experience if we cruise with NCL it is on medium size ships like Gem, Jewel, Dawn.. if itinerary is great.

BTW most of our cruises lately are done from NYC/NJ area... and  Manhattan garage is more expensive. It was $40 per night even in 2017. NJ is now $30.

If you sailed on Breakaway and Oasis you know everything you need to know of course

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

I can't comment on either ship or port. I have cruised both RCI and NCL and consider them comparable. One may be stronger in one are and visa versa. I would choose NCL just because it has one more day. But, I would also look at the ports - is one set better than the other. Private island - I thought NCLs was great. Haven't been to RCIs since it expanded - will be trying this November. I could care less about the waterpark stuff and I doubt boys in their 20s would either.

If your boys like the food on NCL and the drink package is more affordable - gratuities verses full cost on RCI - I would choose NCL. Entertainment is subjective - everyone likes something different - comedians, full productions, music shows, magicians.

I would base choice on itinerary, overall cost, and size of ship. I would also look at the cabin choices - is one larger than the other? Are you all in one room? I like smaller ships.

28 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

If you don't like the private island, swim to the other.  😉  😄

27 minutes ago, vswan said:

They are so close together you could probably walk over!

We're cruising Royal next to Alaska on Ovation. Our last 4 have been NCL. We are super pumped to compare the two.

I just wanted to quote the above because you can rest assured the NCL'ers are drooling over your dock while we rock and roll on the tenders.  🤨

On 6/8/2023 at 9:08 AM, Island Beachdog said:

Let me say first off I have had no experience with the Cruise ports in your area so I can't really comment on that.  For a long time, I sailed almost exclusively on NCL and started alternating with Royal since the advent of the Oasis Class. I like them both for different reasons. First off let me say that the Joy and Symphony are not close to the same size or experience.  Symphony is significantly larger than the Joy in terms of capacity and tonnage. I am assuming you have not sailed the oasis class. If so, I think you would enjoy the difference with the ships neighborhoods and activities.  That being said, IMO NCL has better food and their main shows are better. Royal seems to have more varied entertainment options beyond the main showroom so that would also be a consideration.   Royal's Oasis class ships, simply have a broader range of activities particularly for young adults.  Royal's private islands are hands down better than NCL in every way. The down side to Royal is the $.  All of the sudden their prices have skyrocketed.  The cruise I booked for next year is $3000 more now than when I booked 6 months ago.  They are really testing the market to see how much people are willing to pay.   Just realized, I am starting to ramble so, let me summarize.  If your boys are the primary consideration for making the decision (assuming they are not yet of legal drinking age) I would suggest the Symphony is a better choice. Don't get me wrong, the Joy is a great ship.  It just offers a more relaxing environment than college age boys generally require (but the booze package sure is nice even if you only have wine with dinner). I hope this helps.

Good post. Just wanted to address your RCI is testing the market comment. RCI is not testing the market, they are reacting to the current demand for RCI cruises. At a recent lunch with several officers, we were told the demand for RCI cruises is higher than anyone in Miami expected. It’s actually pretty simple, as the demand increases, prices will increase accordingly. I think the days of $49 for the Beach Club (one of dozen of examples I could mention) are long gone. 

On 6/8/2023 at 7:39 AM, Happytime22 said:

We live in NJ and my DW and 2 sons (21, 23) have cruised on both RCL and NCL… Oasis and Breakaway, among others.  We are looking at booking a Summer 2024 (somewhere local to NJ as we do not want to fly) with our 2 College kids and are trying to decide based on what we know, or have been told, about the two lines.

RCL Symphony of the Seas Pro’s:

·        Pier in Bayonne NJ easiest to use

·        Ship has sports area (one son really likes tournaments)

·        Think entertainment better (keyword: THINK… need help on this)

·        Goes to their two owned islands

RCL Symphony of the Seas Con’s

·        The Boys wanted to try other than a non-oasis ship

·        Cruise more expensive

·        Boys liked NCL food better

·        Booze Package EXPENSIVE

·        Dining Package EXPENSIVE

NCL Joy’s Pros:

·        Cruise less expensive (especially with military discount)

·        Boys liked food on NCL better

·        Booze Package CHEAPER as only pay gratuities

·        Dining Package CHEAPER and only pay for passengers 3&4

·        All loved the cruise on Breakaway MANY years ago, but that may have been due to Julie (cruise Director there)

·        An extra day on cruise

NCL Joy’s Con’s:

·        TA and others think Brooklyn Pier is terrible (IMPORTANT: need other’s thoughts on this) as compared to Bayonne

·        No Sports area for tournaments (heard it is now gone)

·        Worried about entertainment shows

Both ships seem similar in age, size, rooms, etc.????

I can’t add too much for you as I haven’t cruised NCL in years.  But I can say these ships are not similar in size.  Symphony is demonstrably bigger.  Royal is definitely family oriented so I don’t know if that is good or bad thing for your young adult children.  Depends on their interests.  But at their age I would’ve been living on the flowrider most days.  Many other fun things on Symphony for that age of into sports.  

7 hours ago, Destaw71835 said:

Just adding my opinion having recently sailed Joy in May, it felt very crowded in every single venue. There just did not seem to be enough space to accommodate everyone. 

Unless you're in Haven!   NO crowding, awesome experience!