Shorts in the dinning room

On 7/6/2023 at 4:36 PM, MD_Dan said:

Superior is not a word I would use here.  Dressing formal is not superior. 

Certain places required formal dress - wedding, funeral, some religious services.  I think any of us have noticed a decline in these social norms.  And that's not a bad thing.  We, as a society, have the right to determine our social norms.  Our parents and grandparents dressed ed to fly on a plane.  We don't.

And its nothing any of us should be offended by!  We live in the present.

I love this.  Society and norms change. There are people who will always be resistant to change. People love traditions and others prefer to see things evolve.  Neither is wrong.  The problem is we judge each other for it.  You will never see me wear a dress....ever.  Yet, 50 years ago, it was expected.  Imagine the outrage of women wearing pants.  Remember where everyone wore their Sunday best to church?  Now, many wear jeans and shorts.  

Anyway, way off topic but this is it...judgement....we do it all the time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

I waited until page 23 before I even opened this thread so sorry if this has already been said.

If you chop off the legs mid-thigh of the people wearing the shorts, then they would not be shorts any more would they.

Regards,

Cublet

Huh? How crazy is that comment? 🥺

• Haha 1

What I have observed is that most of those who are strictly pro everyone dressing formal are those who have little opportunity on land to attend functions where they dress formal. Their comments are often peppered with "it is our chance to dress up", "we don't get to dress up otherwise" etc.  They desperately need and want everyone to participate in their fantasy in order to feel like they are at some legitimate fancy affair.  They cite rules and proper attire (where none is actually required) to guilt those into participating.

Then you have the other core group, those who have to regularly dress more formally in everyday life. Perhaps they still wear a suit and tie to work everyday. Or they are required to attend formal events for either work or charities they sponsor.  This group wants nothing to do with donning a suit coat, a dress, a button down shirt, or dress pants during their vacation.

Then you have the majority, those who absolutely don't care what others wear, who don't notice what others wear, are engaged with their companions and not clutching their pearls over what Sam across the room is wearing.  They are enjoying their vacation no matter how they are dressed and most importantly no matter how anyone else is dressed.

Be like Applebees during prom season.  The kids dropped off in their limo, dressed to the nines, are having the time of their lives, feeling great about themselves, and not even noticing the regular clientele dressed in shorts and tshirts sitting next to them.  The clientele who dropped in for dinner in their shorts are enjoying their dinner with their companions, not feeling self conscious because a group has decided to dress up for dinner. They might even be oohing and aweing over some of the beautiful gowns (although even prom is more dressed down than in the past here.) 

Enjoy your dinner. If you are in a tux and gown, enjoy feeling fabulous about yourself and your companions. Strut your stuff. But don't let your dinner be ruined because the whole place is not decked out. If you are in shorts and a t shirt, feel wonderful about yourself and have a blast with your companions. Complement the tux or the gorgeous gown as they walk by if you feel so inclined. 

Don't ever feel bad about your choice of dress as long as the important people, Royal Caribbean, allows it. And at this time, formal is an optional choice. Love it or leave it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cured said:

What I have observed is that most of those who are strictly pro everyone dressing formal are those who have little opportunity on land to attend functions where they dress formal. Their comments are often peppered with "it is our chance to dress up", "we don't get to dress up otherwise" etc.  They desperately need and want everyone to participate in their fantasy in order to feel like they are at some legitimate fancy affair.  They cite rules and proper attire (where none is actually required) to guilt those into participating.

Then you have the other core group, those who have to regularly dress more formally in everyday life. Perhaps they still wear a suit and tie to work everyday. Or they are required to attend formal events for either work or charities they sponsor.  This group wants nothing to do with donning a suit coat, a dress, a button down shirt, or dress pants during their vacation.

Then you have the majority, those who absolutely don't care what others wear, who don't notice what others wear, are engaged with their companions and not clutching their pearls over what Sam across the room is wearing.  They are enjoying their vacation no matter how they are dressed and most importantly no matter how anyone else is dressed.

Be like Applebees during prom season.  The kids dropped off in their limo, dressed to the nines, are having the time of their lives, feeling great about themselves, and not even noticing the regular clientele dressed in shorts and tshirts sitting next to them.  The clientele who dropped in for dinner in their shorts are enjoying their dinner with their companions, not feeling self conscious because a group has decided to dress up for dinner. They might even be oohing and aweing over some of the beautiful gowns (although even prom is more dressed down than in the past here.) 

Enjoy your dinner. If you are in a tux and gown, enjoy feeling fabulous about yourself and your companions. Strut your stuff. But don't let your dinner be ruined because the whole place is not decked out. If you are in shorts and a t shirt, feel wonderful about yourself and have a blast with your companions. Complement the tux or the gorgeous gown as they walk by if you feel so inclined. 

Don't ever feel bad about your choice of dress as long as the important people, Royal Caribbean, allows it. And at this time, formal is an optional choice. Love it or leave it.

Wow, that was long.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Who is this person named God? I've never seen any RC employee wearing a name tag with that name. Jesus, yes. But he was a waiter. He didn't care what I wore in the MDR. 

Jesus was on the maintenance team since he was a carpenter.

• Haha 3

Review:  Someone asked what does it mean that no one was struck by lightening wearing shorts to the MDR.  I supplied a possible answer based on years of research on unusual lightening strikes.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Review:  Someone asked what does it mean that no one was struck by lightening wearing shorts to the MDR.  I supplied a possible answer based on years of research on unusual lightening strikes.

I doubt if God strikes down people with lightening strikes.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

I doubt if God strikes down people with lightening strikes.

And the fact that no one in shorts in the MDR has been struck with lightning proves God is caring and loving. So we agree.

Edited by mugtech
Word