Cruising with a 3-year-old

Thinking of doing this because we have $1500 in cruise credit we either have to use or lose.

Am I a lunatic for considering cruising with a toddler for 7 days? For those that have, what was your experience?

36 minutes ago, revjamesl said:

Thinking of doing this because we have $1500 in cruise credit we either have to use or lose.

Am I a lunatic for considering cruising with a toddler for 7 days? For those that have, what was your experience?

There's a forum on CC for family cruising:  Family Cruises: Ask a Question - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

• Like 1

We'll be cruising with our will-be-then three-year old grandson next year.  I expect nothing but success!  Here are a few things his parents are doing to make sure everyone has fun: 

- His parents organized this family cruise, and they'll have two sets of grandparents to call upon, which means they'll be able to have some time to themselves.  

- We all decided to wait until after he turns three.  He will be able to go to the kids' club rather than just the babysitting area.  

- His mom only allows him to wear swimsuits in red, orange or yellow -- she wants him to be VISIBLE in the pool.  Most kids' swimsuits are blue and blend into the water.  

- His parents are keeping their shore excursion plans simple -- he can handle beach days.  They will have other cruises in the future, when he will be more capable.  

- He's getting the Fisher Price Little People Cruise Ship for Christmas, and through play his parents will work with him on concepts like "We will share a cabin, and you will sleep on the sofa bed -- so fun!"  and "We will use our best manners in the dining room."  

- I am making him a homemade coloring book.  It'll have pages about "We'll drive a long, long way to Florida.  You'll pack your favorite quiet toys for the ride."  and "We'll have a fun, fun day at the beach.  Draw a sandcastle on this page."  I used to make these coloring books for my kids when they were small (for a dentist visit, for a camping trip), and they always behaved better when I did this -- it helped them understand what would happen /how I expected them to behave.  

- Is your three-year old potty trained?  He can't go in the pool if he's not.  

- I'd suggest you choose a ship that has a toddler splash area.  They look super fun.  

• Like 5

We took our kids on their first cruise when they were about 3 and 18 months.

Our second cruise they were about 5 and 3

They’ve been on a couple more since then.

The first cruise was a little more difficult because our daughter wasn’t yet sleeping in her own bed so she slept with us. We were worried about her falling out of bed with the rocking of the ship.

The second cruise we had a wonderful time. Our kids have travelled a lot and we’ve been lucky as we’ve never really had an issue. A lot of it will depend on how well your toddler does being a way from home, sleeping in a different bed, having routine disrupted, etc

I just got off the Wonder with my daughter’s family which included my 3 year old grandson and 12 month old granddaughter.  We had a blast.  It was exhausting at times but mainly because there were two and my daughter said she may wait on doing a 7 day again for awhile.  However if you only have the 3 year old I highly recommend it.  He had so much fun he didn’t want to go home.  I would suggest an Oasis class ship because there are more areas to walk around and play.  The Wonder had indoor and outdoor playgrounds.  My first time with a little one so I’ve never noticed what is on the other ships.  Hope you decide to do it!

7 hours ago, Mikamarii said:

The first cruise was a little more difficult because our daughter wasn’t yet sleeping in her own bed so she slept with us. We were worried about her falling out of bed with the rocking of the ship.

Something we did in hotels when our kids were toddlers: 

- Lay a pool noodle on the edge of the bed under the fitted sheet.  This creates a "bump" that the toddler won't accidentally roll over.  Alternately, roll up a bunch of towels and use them the same way. 

- Related:  We also used to bring glow sticks (buy them at the dollar store) for the kids to have in their beds away from home.  They make just enough light that the child feels comfortable /even enough to light the way to the bathroom -- but not enough to keep everyone awake.   

34 minutes ago, ksp819 said:

It was exhausting at times ... He had so much fun he didn't want to go home ... 

Toddlers are exhausting!  Looking back, I wonder how I did it.  

I expect my grandson'll have the same fun experience ... all the fun of a cruise ship AND two sets of grandparents doting on him?  

• Like 1

We cruised extensively with our kids from the time they were old enough to board at 6 months.  We loved it.  Where else can you have a nursery or kids club on hand they can go to every day and all the entertainment on board.

All Inclusives have some but a cruise is definitely better and we’ve done both.  If you need and tips or suggestions just ask.  Our kids made Diamond before they were 5 years old on their own points.  Our son hit D+ around 9 IIRC.  Our daughter who is 8 now is 20 some points from D+

Just came back from a family cruise 

4 adults with 2 babies was a good ratio

2 parents

2 grand parents

A 2.5 year old

And a 6 month old 

The cruise was different then my others ( more buffet and less dining room ).

But I would do it again and so would the parents

It’s definitely different, but why not.  I have a 7, 5 and 2 year old.  We’ve done 3 cruises in the past year including a transatlantic.  My 7 year old did her first cruise at 6 months old.  She had done many by the time she was 2.  

Enjoyed all of them a great deal.  But yeah, it’s definitely not like going with just adults.  My wife and cruise a lot before kids so it was a drastic change.  Accept that and enjoy it as a family.  That is my advice.  I would recommend Oasis class.  The carousel alone will provide hours of entertainment for a three year old.  Since kids I’ve probably spent a full week of time on it.  Harmony and Symphony have great kid splash zones.  Better than oasis and allure.  Haven’t done Wonder but I’m sure that is great too.  

We were on Oasis last month with our 5.5 year old (3rd cruise) and our 3.5 year old (2nd cruise) daughters so no, I don't think you are a lunatic hahaha. 

This was our first cruise since Jan 2020 and quite a lot has changed in my opinion. While overall we had a good time I believe that staying in a GS and dining in the CK for every meal is what made the trip a positive experience for us.

Once all was said and done though we found that our kiddos had the most fun on the beach days (which we only had 2 of sadly) so we've already decided that our next family vacation will be at an AI resort.

We may go cruising again on the next one but who knows. We may even try another cruise line at some point even though we are diamond. 

My daughter cruised for the first time at age 3.  I think it is a perfect time to go as others have said as long as potty trained.  We picked a small radiance class ship, 5 night to start just because we didn't know how she would do.  She had a great time even though we were on a ship without any bells and whistles.  She is now almost 14 and diamond plus and much prefers the ships with the bells and whistles.  Take lots of sunscreen, a few water toys and unless you are in a suite make sure your child is okay in a shower vs a tub.  I think that was the biggest adjustment for her when she was really little.  Have fun!!  

Is the child potty trained? If so, Adventure Ocean was a blast for my young kids. My kids pretty much grew up on those clubs and made a lot of great memories. If not potty trained still go! 

We took twins on an 11 night southern Caribbean sailing when they were 18 months old. Insane? Maybe. We made it work and it was an amazing time. I wasn’t too busy because I have tons of photos! 

Keeping it real- my husband and I took turns at night once it was bed time for the kids. The key is to always stay on schedule. He would take an hour or so, then I would take an hour or so. One of us stayed in the room while they slept. The other always brought back liquor and a snack when they returned. During the day we kept busy and let the kids be kids without interfering with others. We took tours, swam in the ocean, built sand castles, and made best of them sleeping in the strollers to take in some shopping. It’s your life just in another location. If you go in thinking the child rearing ends just because you’re on vacation then you will have a terrible time. 

Life goes by so fast and soon that 3 year old will be in high school. Make memories now. 

And those of you who gasp- I bet you a shinny penny, if you are an older loyal cruiser, chances are you have not only met my kids but dotted on them and told us how well behaved they were at some part of their life. We tend to stick to smaller ships with longer sailings. We’ve tried some mega ships in the past years but they’re too big, and busy, for us. 

We cruise a lot with our almost 4 year old.

If you can do a balcony, do it. We put our child to bed, block the front door, and head out to the balcony to read and drink wine. We bought some usb powered clip lights, and an external usb plug that we charge during the day. 

AF6DD3E5-A890-4639-8114-2A300B733680.thumb.jpeg.8348988407d1498aad6035a53476238e.jpeg

if we can not get a balcony we put her to bed, and then one of us hangs out in the hall by the door (usually with a book and a drink) until she falls asleep while the other explores the ship.