Old Regent ships

Yeah, we cruised on the Raddison Diamond back in the mid 1990s. This was the first Raddison cruise to be “beverage all inclusive” as an experiment. The only problem with this ship was that she was so slow! And on our cruise, one of the two engines was malfunctioning. We were making less than 10 knots!. And it was very crowded — probably because of the new open bar concept. I was talking to the Captain, And he volunteered the idea that the cruise wasn’t quite right. He said he was going to recommend  a $500 rebate pp. know what? We got it! So we got a nice Regent (Raddison) Caribbean  cruise for less than $1K pp for a seven nighter!  All inclusive on board!  Now, there were no balcony “suites” as I recall. At least we didn’t have one. But the rooms (suites?) were rather large and rather square, And we liked them. I recall when we were docked at some ports how small the Diamond was compared to  some cruise ships of the day, which were not that large by today’s standards. Our then 20 something daughter was with us. She and the staff captain had a bit of a thing going on, but just intellectually (I am told). In any event, my wife said “I think our daughter is driving this ship”. I said “No because we haven’t sunk”. But  later she confessed that she was driving the ship! Mothers know!  But it was a fun cruise. Not a “class” cruise like one on the Explorer now, but fun and it didn’t need a second mortgage to take. I kind of miss the Diamond, based on that cruise. It was sort of like a mass market cruise, but not as crowded and no $1K bar bills. 

• Like 2

Another old Regent ship is (was) the Paul Gauguin.  We first cruised on her in early 2002 . It was shortly after 9/11 and nobody wanted to travel. And we had been booked on a Renaissance cruise, but cancelled right before that line went bankrupt. In any event, our TA then told us that we could get a real deal on the PG. we got a discount as :”cancelled:” Renaissance cruisers. In the end, we were picked up at our house, driven to our airport, flown to LAX, put on Air Tahiti Nui, flown to Tahiti, and taken to the PG.   A great 7 nighter of the Society Islands. After the cruise we had a day Room at hotel on Tahiti and we’re bussed to the airport for an over night flight on Air Tahiti Nui to LAX and from there we we were flown home, at our airport we were picked up by a car and driven home. And the cost of all this in 2002? It was about $2500 pp!  Please bring back those days!

• Like 3

I was on the Raddison Diamond for Christmas- New Years 1992. It’s first year. I was recently widowed and it was my first cruise alone, without my husband. The staff knew my situation and was very kind. I will never forget it. 
I went on this journey as an escape and returned ready to face my new life…

sheila

• Like 4

Yes we were fortunate to cruise on the Paul Gauguin & Diamond.

In fact we were on the same PG cruise with Dolebludger when they still lived in OK.

We were on the 2nd to last Southern Caribbean cruise on the Diamond before Captain Neil

was taking it to Hong Kong. Only problem we had with the ship was a number of electrical outages.

Of course most of them happened during the nightly performances. Sure got awful dark for a few seconds until the emergency lights came on. 

Another one of the Old Regent ships was the Seven Seas Song of Flower.  My first cruise on her was an Alaskan cruise in June 1992.  This ship was also alcohol all inclusive.  She was the smallest RSSC ship with only 180 passengers and 10 balcony suites.  We didn't care because we loved her small, intimate size and magnificent staff and crew.  She could get into small ports and rarely used the tender, called the Tiny Flower.  

Song of Flower was sold in October 2003 and we were on her last voyage.  She now belongs to an Icelandic cruise line.  Hope to see her when we visit Iceland on Voyager this summer.

• Like 2

I too loved the Song of Flower - a silly name, apparently a direct translation  of a Japanese name she had been given beforehand?  We were on her many times  from about 1994 including the Millennium cruise in the Pacific area.  This had included excursions as well as all drinks etc.  She was very temperamental, but always forgiven for losing power in the middle of the ocean etc., because her staff and crew and the general ambiance were so special - in particular Captain Dag, once met never forgotten.  A long time ago, I would guess he is retired by now.

• Like 2

We sailed on the Diamond twice. As @labonnevie mentioned, the coolest thing was coming back on a tender to the ship at anchor and having the tender run under the ship.

image.thumb.jpeg.3cd8a1ca5b2cfc45fac41907085b3458.jpeg

Our second cruise on the Diamond was in late-spring 2005, the very last cruise before Radisson handed her over to the new owner to take to Hong Kong. One of our best cruising memories was the day they were grilling lobster tails on the deck and encouraging everyone to eat as much lobster as they wanted because they needed to empty out the freezers. I can neither confirm nor deny whether I had four lobster tails that day!

• Haha 3

On 6/12/2023 at 2:14 AM, Dolebludger said:

Yeah, we cruised on the Raddison Diamond back in the mid 1990s. This was the first Raddison cruise to be “beverage all inclusive” as an experiment.

Are you sure Richard?  We were on the PG in 2000 and again in 2003.  Both those cruises were all-inclusive for alcohol, unless you wanted to buy a cocktail, as I remember (free-flowing beer and wine, liquor bottles in the cabin.)

We sailed the Diamond in 2004, to the Black Sea.  It was a great experience, but it was truly a quirky ship.  The first thing we realized was that we had to sign for a beer, on the pool deck at lunchtime.  So, not as all-inclusive as the PG at that time.  The Diamond had an open bridge, which was terrific, and the most beautiful dining room that you can imagine.  Not much in the way of specialty restaurants, unless you counted Don Vito's, which we loathed.  To each his own.  They tried to re-create Don Vito's later on Navigator, and it was equally awful.

And of course there was the Song.  I met people who had sailed on her, and they all absolutely loved this ship passionately.  Never had the pleasure.  It seemed at the time impossibly expensive, more so than the Paul Gauguin, which ship remained our favourite until the pandemic.

Well, yes, on our 02/02 PG cruise alcohol was included at lunch and dinner, and there was an always replenished mini bar in the room with whatever content we requested. But to order a cocktail, beer or glass of wine in the lounges, there was additional charge. Also, on the Motu day, drinks flowed freely. So it was almost alcohol inclusive. What was missing were included drinks in the lounge and bars

Now our Diamond cruise in about 04 ( I think) was an experimental cruise for Radisson. Alcoholic drinks were included at lunch and dinner, and in room mini bars, AND in the lounge and bars. So it was totally all inclusive. This cruise was a one-off and it was a time after that when Then Regent went fully all inclusive fleet wide. My previous reference to cruising on the Diamond in the 1990s was an error. It was about 2004.

Edited by Dolebludger

9 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Now our Diamond cruise in about 04 ( I think) was an experimental cruise for Radisson. Alcoholic drinks were included at lunch and dinner, and in room mini bars, AND in the lounge and bars. So it was totally all inclusive.

Yes, ours was 2004 as well, and that experiment was not in progress.  This was June 2004.

Oh, yes. We have been on so many cruises I can’t accurately count them or accurately say when a certain cruise was. I fear that old age may prevent me from cruising much in the future. Not because of Regent or any other line, but because of air problems required to get to the cruise and back home. But yes, the Diamond cruise we took in about 04 was a one-off, experimental cruise. It was in the Caribbean. And it was rather fun and rather crowded it seemed. And that Diamond cruise was advertised then as an “experimental” cruise. One of a kind, at that time. The ‘all inclusive” was only for drinks. It was not for air, hotel, or shore excursions. And as I recall, it was a rather inexpensive cruise as far as the Radisson charge was concerned. There were engine problems on this rather slow ship. As a result, when we got home, we got a $500 pp refund. That made that cruise more affordable than the same itinerary on a mass market line with NOTHING included then. If it were possible, I would take that identical cruise again.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong - as is quite possible - but we cruised Song of Flower from the 1990's, and my recollection is that she included  all drinks even then?

Yes, Diamond's restaurant was gorgeous, and the Italian one with all the singing etc. a bit OTT.

• Like 1

The Song of Flower. That was one rockin’ boat, I’ll tell you that!  The Crew was legendary and the whole thing just had a wonderful vibe. Great experiences..we still talk about her. We were on her once to Norway and Captain Dag cruised up one of the fjords, dropped anchor, and sent the tender ashore to pick up his wife. She joined us for a week or so—couldn’t have been nicer but so was he. He left the Flower to become the first Captain of the Voyager, and the Flower was sold a couple of years later. 

On 6/13/2023 at 12:59 AM, lincslady said:

I too loved the Song of Flower - a silly name, apparently a direct translation  of a Japanese name she had been given beforehand...her staff and crew and the general ambiance were so special - in particular Captain Dag, once met never forgotten.  A long time ago, I would guess he is retired by now.

We sailed on the Song and met Captain Dag when Regent was a Radisson property.

Song service, ambiance and attention to detail was superb. We were also cruisers on Seabourn's 3 little sister ships Pride, Spirit & Legend. Dag was Captaining them till SB retired those ships around 2014.

Song's history had several stories told to us by crew. One was she was built or refurbished by a Japanese industrialist and thus the name Song of Flower.