Flight Ease

Canadaclyde

Once you get them changes back, try requesting that Flight Ease "ticket's" the flights. HAL doesn't pay for the tickets with AA until fairly close to the cruise date. This is to allow you (and them) to make changes without fees.

However, you can request that they do so early. We have even done this before final payment.

This is so that you can do things like pay for premium seat selection with the airline, which typically doesn't let you do that until it's "ticketed".

The only downside is that it does lock you into those flights.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2023 at 10:43 PM, Haljo1935 said:

Hey @Arkansas cruisers first, I feel your pain on FE and getting change notifications that don't align w/airline website - sorry you're dealing with it.

FE gets blocks of seats, so they may not have access to all the flights you see on the airline website.

Yes, if you have FE flights and you're beyond final payment, you are really stuck w/o incurring additional fees. However, there is a very small window after final payment before you're locked; it's about 10 days. When you log into FE details the date will show in top right corner. If there's no date, you're locked in.

You should call again AND send and email to Reservations_submit@hollandamerica.com requesting they change the flight.

I recently had an issue w/2 flights, similar to you, I kept getting flight change notices. FE would change the flights back, I could see them on the AA website then I'd get another change notice.

The last time I called in, I was told there was nothing they could do and there was no supervisor I could talk with; they told me to email Reservations_submit@hollandamerica.com. Two days later, on a Saturday, I received a phone call from them. At the end of my call, I had an email confirming the original flights, I could see them in FE and by that night I was able to see them in AA website.

When I sent the email, I copied the Mariners desk for additional visibility. 

FE may not be able to get the original flights or something w/more realistic connection time, but it is worth both the call and email. Your concern about a very tight connection time is valid.

I'm pulling for you - please let us know how it works out.

Thank you very much for your encouragement. I did call and talk to a representative at FE. Even though my preferred flight with the more generous layover time was already ticketed, she claims that FE changed me back to the short-layover flight because FE was aware of a high cancellation rate with my preferred flight. (The AA website version I used said the cancellation and on-time rates were not available). She told me that there would probably be another change in three weeks. 
 Does that sound like a legitimate excuse?

I also asked about FE’s policy on the earliest flight permitted on the day of disembarkation for FLL.  HAL’s Grand Voyage rep said 3 hours after arrival, but the FE rep said 4 hours after arrival. Pretty ironic, since FE changed me to a 11:15 AM FLL flight after the ship’s 7 AM Fort Lauderdale arrival.

We carry our own luggage off using self debarkation, and take a taxi to the FLL airport, so I think we should be OK if we remain booked for the 11:15 flight, correct?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arkansas cruisers said:

We carry our own luggage off using self debarkation, and take a taxi to the FLL airport, so I think we should be OK if we remain booked for the 11:15 flight, correct?

You should be. If the ship docks on time, you can expect self-disembarkation to start about 7:30, plus or minus. Off the ship, be one of the first looking for a cab, and a 10-minute ride to the airport. 
You'll have plenty of time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2023 at 2:52 PM, Arkansas cruisers said:

Thank you very much for your encouragement. I did call and talk to a representative at FE. Even though my preferred flight with the more generous layover time was already ticketed, she claims that FE changed me back to the short-layover flight because FE was aware of a high cancellation rate with my preferred flight. (The AA website version I used said the cancellation and on-time rates were not available). She told me that there would probably be another change in three weeks. 
 Does that sound like a legitimate excuse?

I also asked about FE’s policy on the earliest flight permitted on the day of disembarkation for FLL.  HAL’s Grand Voyage rep said 3 hours after arrival, but the FE rep said 4 hours after arrival. Pretty ironic, since FE changed me to a 11:15 AM FLL flight after the ship’s 7 AM Fort Lauderdale arrival.

Flight ease and all cruise line flight consolidators must abide by airline and cruise line connection criteria.  For example, if a ship is schedule to moor at 0700 the first "approved" flight from a nearby airport may not be until 1100 to provide consideration for late arrivals and connection challenges.  Booking flight direct can bypass this limitation and access flights at say 1045.

As seniors we find traveling across the pond(s) best in business class.  Using a cruise line consolidator saves $$$.  That said, we have used so-called "low cost" airlines like TAP (Air Portugal) which flies modern 330neo aircraft and which also offered great rates when booking 10 months out.  

Airlines notoriously change flights and times.  We once needed to travel to Canada from Florida and the airline managed to change our routing to one where we were scheduled to depart and connecting city prior to schedule arrival of the original flight.  Head to RON overnight to make the arrival schedule work.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on the Oosterdam TA to Barcelona in April. It’s

the first time we’ve used FE; the price was so much lower than booking ourselves. Just want to know what exactly is “early ticketing”. Tried to find it in the FAQ pages. Does this lock us into the airfare? Can we pay airfare and cruise fare separately? Thanks for any info on using FE.

3 minutes ago, ModMs said:

We are booked on the Oosterdam TA to Barcelona in April. It’s

the first time we’ve used FE; the price was so much lower than booking ourselves. Just want to know what exactly is “early ticketing”. Tried to find it in the FAQ pages. Does this lock us into the airfare? Can we pay airfare and cruise fare separately? Thanks for any info on using FE.

"Early Ticketing" is you asking the ticket be issued now rather than closer to final payment. You will need to pay for it and you will be subject to penalties if you make changes. It will allow you to make upgrade seat selections and other things you aren't able to do until it's ticketed.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, sheilastevens said:

I am finding it as good as impossible to book flights through Flightease.

Because we live in New Zealand they only want to quote from Auckland.

What we need is a flight from London to Amsterdam to join the ship.

Have you tried calling them? You may not be able to do it online, but they should be able to do it on the phone.

While their recommended cities pre-populate online, I have been able to change the cities 

15 hours ago, sheilastevens said:

I am finding it as good as impossible to book flights through Flightease.

Because we live in New Zealand they only want to quote from Auckland.

What we need is a flight from London to Amsterdam to join the ship.

Similar situation, but in a different country. I live in the US, but wanted to use FE to travel from Paris to Athens to pick up my cruise there. My PCC said that FE could not do that, and that I could only book flights departing from my home country. Nevertheless, it may be worth the call.

• 1 month later...

My cruise is April 2024 and final payment is not due yet. I booked my flights already with my PCC. I'm having second thoughts about using FE, especially since I did it without thinking. I checked the flight prices and it cost about $150 less if I book directly with the airlines. Can I cancel FE without penalty and without affecting the cost of my cruise? Also, can I cancel directly using the Holland website or do I need to call my PCC? What do you all think -- cancel or keep FE? TIA!

Edited by GabbyRose
Correct typo.

2 minutes ago, GabbyRose said:

My cruise is April 2024 and final payment is not due yet. I booked my flights already with my PCC. I'm having second thoughts about using FE, especially since I did it without thinking. I checked the flight prices and it cost about $150 less if I book directly with the airlines. Can I cancel FE without penalty and without affecting the cost of my cruise? Also, can I cancel directly using the Holland website or do I need to call my PCC? What do you all think -- cancel or keep FE? TIA!

Yes - you can just cancel your FE flights yourself on the site if before final payment, no penalty. You can then change your mind tomorrow and rebook ...and then change your mind again the next day ... until final payment.

I wouldn't recommend cancelling if you don't have other flights booked yet though.

Also- with FE, you can keep searching for better flights (prices) and do a Change Flight ... again .. as often as you want before final payment.

• 2 weeks later...

First time using Flight Ease. Just booked one way flexible flights to Europe with FE online.  Screen shot the confirmation.  I have been able to find the flights on the DAL website.  However, I have not received confirmation from FE or HAL.  I booked through a TA.  Will conformation come from the TA or FE?  Will the air show on our HAL reservation?

2 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

First time using Flight Ease. Just booked one way flexible flights to Europe with FE online.  Screen shot the confirmation.  I have been able to find the flights on the DAL website.  However, I have not received confirmation from FE or HAL.  I booked through a TA.  Will conformation come from the TA or FE?  Will the air show on our HAL reservation?

Your TA will send confirmation.  It will now be included on your official invoice also

Hello. We are trying to book a return flight Auckland to Sydney on the 22 February 2024 with  HAL FlighEase. I am able to put in the departure airport as Auckland but not letting me put Sydney as the destination airport. Anyone else having this problem? Thank you in advance.