Passport card ok?

Taking my parents (in their 70's) on a cruise.  They want to save money and only get the passport card not book.  We are going on Anthem 7 day out of Cape Liberty to Orlando, CocoCay, and Nassau. I have researched and found that it seems to be okay, just means they could not fly back should they encounter some emergency. Any other reasons I should be aware of to justify the added expense or should I let them get the card?

• Haha 1

Just now, rmzlvacationers said:

Any other reasons I should be aware of to justify the added expense or should I let them get the card?

Assuming they have birth certificates, don't even bother with the card.

• Like 3

Passport card is really only useful at land crossings.

The main reason you take a passport instead of birth certificate on a cruise is in case something happens and you need to fly home.   You will need an actual passport for this.

If nothing happens then a birth certificate is fine.

No reason to take a passport card on a cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmzlvacationers said:

roll the dice on no freak emergency that they would need to fly.

I wonder what the percentage of passengers who are evacuated fit your parents profile?  Personally I think it's a risk and I would at least be certain of their insurance coverage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't even aware that one could apply for a passport card without the passport.  But the application does allow for this situation.

This is the language on the back of my valid passport card:

Valid for domestic air travel, international land and sea travel between U.S., Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda.  Not valid for international air travel.

Just last month I realized as I was entering Port of Miami that I forgot my passport.  Thankfully I carry my passport card as my primary identification in my wallet, and I had no issues during check-in.

Note that my experience has been that if the ship's itinerary plans to call on just one port that isn't listed on the back of the card, then the passport card is not valid for the cruise.  This was the case on a full crossing of the Panama Canal on another line where we stopped in several other countries:  my passport was required to board.  

Another clarification:  whether or not the passenger plans to leave the ship during a port of call outside the countries listed on the back of the card is immaterial.  The fact that the ship calls on a port not listed is what triggers the need for the passport book.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rmzlvacationers said:

thanks all for the responses.  Think we are just going to take the birth certificates and roll the dice on no freak emergency that they would need to fly.

if married, which I'm sure is yes, you might need a name bridging document which is a marriage license.  Honestly, the card is very easy, and I use it all the time.  Eliminates any issues. But no, you don't need it, but it is extremely convenient to have. 

Your mother will need her birth certificate and their marriage certificate if she changed her name when she married your father. The names must match exactly or have another official document to show the name change. Miss Jane Doe is not the same as Mrs Jane Smith.

My in laws missed their cruise because they thought their birth certificates would be enough. Mother in law has changed her name twice and needed her original divorce decree with her name change (not back to maiden) and then her marriage certificate to her now husband (of 20+ years). Of course it wasn’t insured and they lost thousands. 

Always have cruised with just a DL and BC....over 20 Carribean cruises (Eastern, western and southern) including Panama. Never a issue. Recently got Passport Card...Just more convenient and not worry about taking BC.  Also another advantage of Passport Card...when ever Real ID become mandatory...Passport Card can be used if you haven't upgraded your DL

Rare situation.  Sailed on Allure a few years back and Fort Lauderdale port and airport were closed due to hurricane when we were due back.  Stayed out 3 days extra with two stops in Cozumel and Costa Maya.  Many folks flew home because of work.   People without passports were forced to stay onboard.

Really rough time.  All drink and internet extended free.  Around 1000 passengers by the time we got back.  More waiters in Mytime dining room than guests so they started to get every other night off.  Staff allowed to attend shows with guests. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, twinmommy08 said:

Your mother will need her birth certificate and their marriage certificate if she changed her name when she married your father. The names must match exactly or have another official document to show the name change. Miss Jane Doe is not the same as Mrs Jane Smith.

My in laws missed their cruise because they thought their birth certificates would be enough. Mother in law has changed her name twice and needed her original divorce decree with her name change (not back to maiden) and then her marriage certificate to her now husband (of 20+ years). Of course it wasn’t insured and they lost thousands. 

Unless they had cfar insurance nit having the necessary documents wouldn’t have been covered by insurance anyway.

23 hours ago, Tatka said:

As long as you know risks and you seem to know. Passport only costs 100+ dollars and is good for 10 years.

They're in their 70s.  Maybe they don't plan on doing a lot of traveling.

23 hours ago, rmzlvacationers said:

thanks all for the responses.  Think we are just going to take the birth certificates and roll the dice on no freak emergency that they would need to fly.

Well, you said it yourself, your parents are in their 70s.  I'm 71 and wouldn't think of traveling anywhere outside of the U.S.A. without an actual Passport Book and carrying it with us, everywhere we go.  The older we get the odds go up exponentially for a health emergency.  I'd never forgive myself if my wife had a medical emergency that required immediate evacuation back to the U.S. and was held up by the bureaucracy of getting clearance to fly back to the U.S. and her condition got worse or even..............   

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, I think, is you also have to have a Government Issued Photo ID, like a driver's license if you are going to use a Birth Certificate.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, moposh said:

They're in their 70s.  Maybe they don't plan on doing a lot of traveling.

Maybe, but $100+ is still small price to pay to avoid risk when traveling after 70.

My parents are 70+ and would not travel without passport.

• Like 3

On 6/13/2023 at 10:48 AM, Longhorn Cruiser said:

Passport card is really only useful at land crossings.

The main reason you take a passport instead of birth certificate on a cruise is in case something happens and you need to fly home.   You will need an actual passport for this.

If nothing happens then a birth certificate is fine.

No reason to take a passport card on a cruise.

I just sent my passport book in for renewal, and went ahead and spent the extra $30 for a passport card also, for the express purpose of taking it on cruises. In the past I have left my passport onboard in the safe when not required for port entry (If you don't make the ship for any reason they will empty your safe and leave the passport with the port authority...not worried about catching a flight out without it), and carried my DL for ID. Now I will leave DL and passport in safe and bring the passport card. I would much rather have to replace a passport card than my DL if it were to get lost or stolen. Same reason I do not take the credit card attached to my onboard account ashore.

Having another valid piece of government issued photo ID that fits in a wallet and is valid for ten years is well worth the extra $30 for me. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tatka said:

Maybe, but $100+ is still small price to pay to avoid risk when traveling after 70.

I agree, but everyone is different.

5 minutes ago, moposh said:

I agree, but everyone is different.

Yes, some people are willing to risk more. As long as they realize what happens in case they will need passport.

My parents are risk takers, but there is no reason to risk in this case... when passport is easily achievable. Btw passport is what they are implementing inside of States now as Real Id. So if in any case Real Id is needed Passport is that. Passport is not even insurance you need for one trip, it is potentially much more.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

I'm curious as to why the "resistance" for lack of a better word in getting a passport.  The cruise is thousands.  Why not just spend the extra $130 for the passport and then no worries or questions on message boards?  I am not condemning at all.  I just don't understand why people don't want to take the time to get one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Tatka said:

BTW, I've felt the way I stated above ever since I was a teenager.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

BTW, I've felt the way I stated above ever since I was a teenager.  

You were a very wise teenager!

Well, I am an immigrant (long time ago) and I did not know that technically I could use Naturalization papers in lieu of Birth Certificate so I got passport right away. However I think I'd have done it anyway, because so many things can happen during trips and absence of passports can prevent trips too. It's really under $15 per year to even think about it.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tatka said:

You were a very wise teenager!

Well, I am an immigrant (long time ago) and I did not know that technically I could use Naturalization papers in lieu of Birth Certificate so I got passport right away. However I think I'd have done it anyway, because so many things can happen during trips... and not only. It's really under $15 per year to even think about it.

I'm also an immigrant, from Canada LOL.  But, when I joined the U.S. Army, at 18, and was sent to parts unknown, the Army provided me with an official Passport Book.  Back then there wasn't any such thing as a Passport Card.  So, I've just kept my passports up to date since.  Hell, they're good for 10 years.  That means I've had to really put myself out ~5 times to renew.  Man, I'm sooooooo hard done by, eh.  :classic_dry:  I do not use my Naturalization Certificate for anything.  I got it back in ~1976 and I think I've seen/used it two or three times since.  

Side note:  I was a Canadian citizen during my first enlistment in the U.S. Army.  

EDITED IN:  Full disclosure/transparency/correctness:  I was actually in my early 20s when the Army issued me my first Passport.  My timeline just didn't seem right and I looked it up to be sure.   The first enlistment, when I was 18, I spent in California, Ft. Ord/Hunter Liggett Military Reservation.

Edited by Ret MP
  • Thanks 2