New Cruise Terminal in Tarragona

Clay Clayton

19 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

It's 61 miles to Barcelona.  Not an upgrade regardless of how green it may be.  Will put Barcelona on a par with Rome and Venice for cruise passenger inconvenience.

Having just sailed Venice, and Rome in the past, I totally agree with this statement. 

Pushing cruise ships away from many locations seems to be a disturbing trend.  I think the ever larger Behemoths of the Seas of many lines are to blame.  A Viking ship makes very little impact when they dock.   I personally cannot conceive of sailing with thousands of passengers.

• Like 5

On our 2019 cruise, we originated in Barcelona and were suppose to overnight there. Because of port overcrowding, we had to leave that night and dock in Tarragona. This caused Viking to cancel all the excursions and substitute a makeshift Barcelona "Highlights" Tour with an hourlong bus ride just to get to the city. This was the main reason we returned to Barcelona this year. We finally were able to experience the city in all it's glory.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Having just sailed Venice, and Rome in the past, I totally agree with this statement. 

But Taragonna was one of the best ports on our 21-day Sky cruise. 

5 hours ago, basenji56 said:

Are there any top quality hotels in Tarragona? Or is it just an industrial port? 

$120 to $160 taxi fare. 

I don't know if Tarragona is an industrial city but I do know that it is an ancient Roman outpost and is chock-a-block with Roman ruins,especially in the old city area.Tarragona is not a back water. It is a provincial capital with a long history.

Yes, it is a long way from the Barcelona airport but the 20 minute ride from the port of Barcelona has us spoiled. But, it isn't the only port that is some distance from a major airport, so why the complaints. Rome is inland (for which we can thank the ancient Romans; even they had a 70 mile chariot ride to their seaport of Ostia). London is inland and very few cruise ships dock in Greenwich. Athens is a distance from its port. True, it is not be a great place from which to explore Barcelona but there is plenty to see in the Tarragona area.

As for the taxi prices, I wouldn't worry. Tourism is a major source of income. Once the terminal opens and operations ramp up, public transportation (trains, buses, airport shuttles, limo/private car services) will be tourist-ready.

00-Ql6biy-mZ87rWVfOSHXTCdySImIvB1QE_lBESTb4fGPaKw9lD12QfF_OE2VBjpny?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1486580440

00-Ql6biy-mZ87rWVfOSHXTCdySImIvB1QE_lBESTb4fGOMivgqXjKuuzNG9_BxYRXT?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1486580583

city square build on the ruins of the roman forum; only some old stones are left.

00-Ql6biy-mZ87rWVfOSHXTCdySImIvB1QE_lBESTb4fGN4LfwPDmvCGiOnr9FR8rGJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1486580688

It's December 31. It has been fairly quiet as we wander the streets.

• Like 2

We’ve been to and stayed in Barcelona several times. We have loved our time there. It’s a beautiful city with much to do. So for us, a different port with interesting history to explore would be great. However, for a lot of people who have not been to Barcelona, and it is on their bucket list, then this change will impact their time in the City in a negative manner. Not everyone has time available, but Barcelona is a great city to go into early or stay afterwards and this change may prompt more of that, as it has in Venice. When we were in Venice for several days a couple weeks ago, multiple merchants and restaurants shared that with the port changes, they are seeing more people staying in the city longer  than prior to the cruise changes there. Same migration may occur in Barcelona. Time will tell. 

• Like 2

If you are lucky, the day you get off there will be a festival going on. I got these shots off Viking Sky last September. One of my best days of photography ever. Here's what it looked like: 

Tarragona052.jpg

Tarragona053.jpg

Tarragona054.jpg

Tarragona055.jpg

Tarragona056.jpg

Tarragona057.jpg

Tarragona058.jpg

Tarragona059.jpg

Tarragona060.jpg

Tarragona061.jpg

Tarragona062.jpg

Tarragona063.jpg

Tarragona071.jpg

Tarragona076_1.jpg

Tarragona081.jpg

Tarragona082.jpg

Tarragona109.jpg

Tarragona113.jpg

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

On our 2019 cruise, we originated in Barcelona and were suppose to overnight there. Because of port overcrowding, we had to leave that night and dock in Tarragona. This caused Viking to cancel all the excursions and substitute a makeshift Barcelona "Highlights" Tour with an hourlong bus ride just to get to the city. This was the main reason we returned to Barcelona this year. We finally were able to experience the city in all it's glory.

I remember that, Joe.  Fortunately:

-We had come in several days early and did Barcelona on our own - great city

-In Tarragona we found a wonderful port city that was not crowded and full of things to walk around, explore, and see!  I wouldn't mind going back - except perhaps the trial of getting there from Barcelona Airport.  We'll be heading there in February, so we'll have to see how it goes.  Hard to believe Viking will still only charge $49 for a transfer.