question about London tour

runnerswife

We are on the eastbound t/a on QM2 2024 and then to the Fjords back to Southampton and the 

the westbound back to NY.  We are in Sohmpton twice.  Does anyone know if Cunard offers any

tours to London, or is there not enough time? Thanks, Mary

Just now, runnerswife said:

We are on the eastbound t/a on QM2 2024 and then to the Fjords back to Southampton and the 

the westbound back to NY.  We are in Sohmpton twice.  Does anyone know if Cunard offers any

tours to London, or is there not enough time? Thanks, Mary

I saw a tour to Windsor Castle advertised last week on QM2

The three standard shore excursions Cunard typically offers from Southampton are

Cathedral City of Winchester
Royal Windsor Castle
Prehistoric Stonehenge

On a few occasions in the past they've offered excursions to New Forest and an excursion called "Southampton Titanic Trail Walking Tour". In September for the crossing to Hamburg they are offering a "New Forest Scenic Drive" excursion but that's currently only being offered in German.

So to answer your question, no, Cunard does not typically offer excursions to London. Perhaps one could be arranged through Cunard as a bespoke private excursion, but they don't offer standard group coach excursions to London.

Even if you are off at 7 (which wouldn’t be particularly helpful, as you would coincide with the London rush hour) it would be a terrible scramble, you wouldn’t see much, and would spend an anxious afternoon hoping you weren’t going to miss the ship. Although London is the fairest of cities all (William Dunbar), I’m really not sure it would be worth it.

• Like 1

From an America tourist point of view, spending a day on a Winchester excursion would be good use of your time. The cathedral is among the best. Period.
Note: I was once picked up by a friend right from QM2 and we went to Winchester. I didn’t need a Cunard excursion because I wasn’t going back onboard. 

I do not recommend a round trip/side trip to London after you debark. I’m in London now and did a Monday AM rush hour Uber drive from Heathrow to Westminster and that was a mess and took forever. Any excursion on turnaround day should be bite-sized and Cunard sponsored so the QM2 doesn’t leave without you. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, NE John said:

From an America tourist point of view, spending a day on a Winchester excursion would be good use of your time. The cathedral is among the best. Period.
Note: I was once picked up by a friend right from QM2 and we went to Winchester. I didn’t need a Cunard excursion because I wasn’t going back onboard. 

I do not recommend a round trip/side trip to London after you debark. I’m in London now and did a Monday AM rush hour Uber drive from Heathrow to Westminster and that was a mess and took forever. Any excursion on turnaround day should be bite-sized and Cunard sponsored so the QM2 doesn’t leave without you. 

I know we are spoilt for cathedrals, but Winchester, aesthetically, wouldn’t be in my top ten. Salisbury, for instance, is in a different class. However, Winchester is very convenient for Southampton, and a comparatively restful day trip. Windsor, I would say, was too far.

• Like 1

Likely the tours offered depend on the number of 'in transit' passengers for the Southampton stop.

We did the Winchester excursion in 2017 and it was nice half day trip [we were back on board for a late lunch]. This past November, I think the Winchester & Stonehenge excursions were the ship's tour offerings for both Southampton stops.

There have been postings from 'John Bull' here, and in the ports of call western Europe forum, with some DIY suggestions [Salisbury/Stonehenge, New Forest, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, Isle of Wight] with details on transportation and timing. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, techteach said:

How does it work getting off and then getting back on when they are embarking new passengers? Is there a separate line? We’ll be doing this in December, 2024, so I’m really glad @runnerswife has asked the question and appreciative of the suggestions.

When you return to the terminal after your day in Southampton show staff your keycard . They will direct you past all the check-in queues directly to security screening. Once through that screening you may reboard the ship.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Even if you are off at 7 (which wouldn’t be particularly helpful, as you would coincide with the London rush hour) it would be a terrible scramble, you wouldn’t see much, and would spend an anxious afternoon hoping you weren’t going to miss the ship. Although London is the fairest of cities all (William Dunbar), I’m really not sure it would be worth it.

I can see that this is very valid, and that some people would find it a bit fraught. I would be in the other group, who would be quite relaxed about it, we are all different thankfully.  So I'll put this here just to give the other, more adventurous point of view, even though it certainly isn't for everyone.

If you were able to get on the 08:30 train to London Waterloo, you should arrive at 09:53. If you then return from Waterloo at 13:35 returns to Southampton Central (a few minutes taxi from the cruise terminals) at 14:49 - and this gives some time for things going wrong. And you may be able to get on an earlier train. Different times on weekends, and Sundays would probably be too risky even for me due to engineering work possibilities.

This gives you 3 and a half hours in London. You could easily do your own walking tour or hire someone in to guide you. But my suggestion would be Waterloo - over the footbridge to Trafalgar Square, down Whitehall, Parliament Square, over the Thames on Westminster Bridge back to Waterloo. If you did this without stopping it would take under an hour (it's 2 miles), so you can see you have plenty of time to admire the buildings, take photos etc. You may be able to add in Buckingham Palace and St James' Park between Trafalgar Square and Whitehall, that adds another mile, 3 miles in all. Either option, in good weather, would give something to look at on every corner.

• Like 3

Thank you all for the suggestions. We would be too "anxious" to do anything 

on our own.  May take a Cunard excursion when we get closer.  Meanwhile, we are

going on the QE from SanFranciso through the canal back to Ft. Lauderdale.  Thanks

again,  Mary

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2023 at 3:30 PM, Pushpit said:

I can see that this is very valid, and that some people would find it a bit fraught. I would be in the other group, who would be quite relaxed about it, we are all different thankfully.  So I'll put this here just to give the other, more adventurous point of view, even though it certainly isn't for everyone.

If you were able to get on the 08:30 train to London Waterloo, you should arrive at 09:53. If you then return from Waterloo at 13:35 returns to Southampton Central (a few minutes taxi from the cruise terminals) at 14:49 - and this gives some time for things going wrong. And you may be able to get on an earlier train. Different times on weekends, and Sundays would probably be too risky even for me due to engineering work possibilities.

This gives you 3 and a half hours in London. You could easily do your own walking tour or hire someone in to guide you. But my suggestion would be Waterloo - over the footbridge to Trafalgar Square, down Whitehall, Parliament Square, over the Thames on Westminster Bridge back to Waterloo. If you did this without stopping it would take under an hour (it's 2 miles), so you can see you have plenty of time to admire the buildings, take photos etc. You may be able to add in Buckingham Palace and St James' Park between Trafalgar Square and Whitehall, that adds another mile, 3 miles in all. Either option, in good weather, would give something to look at on every corner.

Totally second this, trains are relatively reliable in the UK (if there are no train strikes going on) but this can all be checked weeks before you arrive in Southampton so would really urge you to explore London this way. Just leave as much luggage as poss in storage and take comfortable shoes for discovering London.

I would not risk taking the train to London and back with such a tight turn round in the current climate. I live near Southampton. Train cancellations and delays are frequent. I would stick to any tour Cunard are offering to be sure not to run until any difficulties getting back to the ship. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:

I would not risk taking the train to London and back with such a tight turn round in the current climate. I live near Southampton. Train cancellations and delays are frequent. I would stick to any tour Cunard are offering to be sure not to run until any difficulties getting back to the ship. 

Totally agree. I have used the same line for years and wouldn’t trust them an inch if I had a ship to catch. And as a poster above says, London is a multi day trip. Stay in Southampton and enjoy what it has to offer.

Southampton is a nice place to walk around and see things.  We went to the Titanic Museum years ago, but would love to walk around and explore more.  I would also consider a Cunard excursion if any are offered because I can see how that would make things easier.

On 7/2/2023 at 10:39 PM, ratflinger said:

3 hours in London???  What's the point?  London is a muti-day trip.

I agree! You can say you've "seen" London, but it would be barely a glance. 

I have never done a B2B because I can't imagine getting to England and having no time to tour around. I like it when there's an EB, a Europe cruise, and a WB. I can do the crossings and use the time in between to see more of the UK. 

• Like 4

It really is not worth all the train uncertainties to have

three hours in London. Salisbury and Winchester both

have beautiful cathedrals. In my opinion Winchester is

the more attractive city whilst Salisbury has the better

cathedral. They can easily be reached by train or bus.

Winchester is better served by local transport.

Take your pick. Toss a coin and have a great day.

• Like 3

I would agree as someone who lives near Salisbury. Either will give a good day out for a few hours and worse case scenario all be it expensive but both would be a doable taxi ride away from the docks if public transport was not an option. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...