Just how much of a problem ARE interlopers in the YC?

mafig

1 hour ago, tony s said:

Who cares as long as they don’t act stupid, harass someone or hog the snack buffet.

Do you let folks you don't know use your cabin?  As long as they are not harassing you, what's the big deal?  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

How would a guest know if they were in the YC or not?  

My last YC cruise (the only one so far) it didn't take long to know who was a guest and who was not.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To us, YC for a cruise is similar to First Class for a flight. There are a limited number of cabins/seats and the amount that are filled leads to how much food, drink and other amenities are loaded on board. If you want to sit in First Class and it is full, someone has to give you their seat and go sit in yours in the back.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Guests do not know, they are oblivious to the situation. Those staff that are in the normal line of being tipped extra by YC paying guests are afraid to ask to see key cards or wrist bands. They leave it up to this one pool attendant, who is the lowest member of those that might be tipped. On our last cruise a group of 7 ( a couple of which were smoking) were carded and I witnessed one of the group offer the pool attendant money to stay. He backed away from the interloper. I felt bad that he lost out on some cash so I went over to him and slipped him another $20 and told him to keep up the good work.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

1.  On the Caribbean sailings (or any sailing that does not have guests who join at various ports of call) you pretty quickly learn the other YC faces/guests and you might spot a "new" face.

2.   There's often a "tell" - the looking around, not knowing what to do, how to get a drink when you are few days into the cruise is a signal, too.  

3.   Listening - many times these folks brag to their friends

4.   Looking - sometimes folks are so dumb that they wear their key card on a lanyard which clearly doesn't have the YC logo on the back side

5.   Looking part 2 - guest presents key card to get a drink

🙂

• Like 1

One of the things I enjoyed in YC over NCL Haven was the lack of need to provide your card to get a drink while in the YC. 

If those that have "snuck in" start ordering drinks to the point that I have to start showing a card it would be annoying. Yah there are wrist bands but without scanning them what is the point? I like ordering my drinks and not having to provide ID, it's been a long time since any law required me to provide ID to get a drink (well except where they ID everyone).

1 hour ago, tony s said:

How would you feel if you kept being asked for your wristband because you look different. Happened to my wife on both occasions we have been in YC, including at the insistence of a Hyacinth Bucket wannabe. So IT’S NOT THE WRONG ANSWER! Would that not ruin”the experience “. And for the record she carries here card as she can’t wear her wrist band due to a medical condition. So rather than play YC police look at the whole situation 

The reason why the Yacht Club staff ask is BECAUSE of the interlopers.

I've never been asked on MSC or on NCL but as long as the person asking isn't rude or condescending, I don't have a problem with the staff trying to weed out the interlopers. If you don't like being asked at all, blame the interlopers for creating the problem.

The concierge does make it clear that Yacht Club guests are NOT allowed to bring non-Yacht Club guests into the enclave. If guests are still doing it, the Yacht Club guests should have their Yacht Club card and wristband deactivated for entry into the area. The guests can still use the facility but must only be allowed to enter with a staff member's approval. Once that happens to a few guests and word spreads via the internet, interlopers and their friends/family will get the message.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The reason why the Yacht Club staff ask is BECAUSE of the interlopers.

I've never been asked on MSC or on NCL but as long as the person asking isn't rude or condescending, I don't have a problem with the staff trying to weed out the interlopers. If you don't like being asked at all, blame the interlopers for creating the problem.

The concierge does make it clear that Yacht Club guests are NOT allowed to bring non-Yacht Club guests into the enclave. If guests are still doing it, the Yacht Club guests should have their Yacht Club card and wristband deactivated for entry into the area. The guests can still use the facility but must only be allowed to enter with a staff member's approval. Once that happens to a few guests and word spreads via the internet, interlopers and their friends/family will get the message.

I am all for asking the first day and introducing ourselves . However on day three having a staff member ask at the request of someone who looked askance because my wife did not "look" as she belonged among us and the staff member actually asking for proof and entertaining this cracker would be offensive. As such I am touchy about being asked if not everyone present is asked for their proof.  Maybe we should look at the whole situation before shooting off the hip with some of the ignorant responses I HAVE SEEN.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tony s said:

I am all for asking the first day and introducing ourselves . However on day three having a staff member ask at the request of someone who looked askance because my wife did not "look" as she belonged among us and the staff member actually asking for proof and entertaining this cracker would be offensive. As such I am touchy about being asked if not everyone present is asked for their proof.  Maybe we should look at the whole situation before shooting off the hip with some of the ignorant responses I HAVE SEEN.

What you are describing is selective enforcement which I would also be against. There is no "look" that determines if someone should or shouldn't be asked. If it's something obvious like your wife was wrapped in a standard MSC towel while in the Yacht Club, that would be a legitimate reason to ask. If it's something such as a hair style, tattoo, jewelry (or lack thereof), clothing, ethnicity, etc., I would be against the selective enforcement. 

As for the woman who asked, I would confront her directly and calmly ask her why she believed that someone else didn't belong. She won't tell you the actual reason but she will think twice before trying it with someone else.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Two Wheels Only said:

What you are describing is selective enforcement which I would also be against. There is no "look" that determines if someone should or shouldn't be asked. If it's something obvious like your wife was wrapped in a standard MSC towel while in the Yacht Club, that would be a legitimate reason to ask. If it's something such as a hair style, tattoo, jewelry (or lack thereof), clothing, ethnicity, etc., I would be against the selective enforcement. 

As for the woman who asked, I would confront her directly and calmly ask her why she believed that someone else didn't belong. She won't tell you the actual reason but she will think twice before trying it with someone else.

We are on vacation nd shouldn't have to ask. As for the women she was a horse's ass throughout the trip, which was in Europe ,thus the Hyicinth remark. We were insulted that the staff member humiliated my wife and entertained this witch.  It was strictly ethnicity. At first the YC Director,refused to address until he saw video then I almost felt sorry for the staff member.  To see some of the reactions here is upsetting.

What surprises me is that MSC is not more consequent in getting rid of the interloopers.

As have been stated multiple times most of the YC guests are really pissed off by the interloopers. They might not come back.

• Like 3

The solution, whether one likes it or not, is to use ones key card or wristband at all venues. Must be shown when in line at the Seafood Extravaganza or bar, at the TSL bar for the first drink of the evening. Everyone is already checked at the YC restaurant in their computer until recognized (Hostess bragged to us it was her fine memory of faces each week that gained her the position). Maybe even change the doors to key card/wrist band to get onto the One Pool Deck. The slight inconvenience of this is better than the long lines and slow service, and hogged pergolas /less available shaded lounges  created by these interlopers. And it would enable everyone to leave their shoulder chips at home.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, tony s said:

We were insulted that the staff member humiliated my wife and entertained this witch.  It was strictly ethnicity

What you are describing is different than what other forum members are requesting or suggesting. Your particular experience (which I would also be against) isn't reflective of what the other forum members would like to see more of.

It may seem as though the other forum members are in agreement with the woman you had the unfortunate experience with but I don't believe that other forum members are supportive of her actions. I also don't believe that other forum members support the staff being rude to Yacht Club guests based on false accusations or appearance.

31 minutes ago, tony s said:

To see some of the reactions here is upsetting.

I don't believe that other forum members who want interlopers removed are supportive of actual Yacht Club guests having to go through what you went through.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

What you are describing is different than what other forum members are requesting or suggesting. Your particular experience (which I would also be against) isn't reflective of what the other forum members would like to see more of.

It may seem as though the other forum members are in agreement with the woman you had the unfortunate experience with but I don't believe that other forum members are supportive of her actions. I also don't believe that other forum members support the staff being rude to Yacht Club guests based on false accusations or appearance.

I don't believe that other forum members who want interlopers removed are supportive of actual Yacht Club guests having to go through what you went through.

Wrong answer.  Those of us who pay for a given level of service expect that value will not be diminished by those who have not paid (interlopers). One cabin paying and ‘inviting’ guests to join them markedly diminishes my ‘inclusive and exclusive’ experience. 

This is the response I found offensive. Instead of addressing why staff is reluctant, they attacked the messenger

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate.

5 minutes ago, tony s said:

Those of us who pay for a given level of service expect that value will not be diminished by those who have not paid (interlopers). One cabin paying and ‘inviting’ guests to join them markedly diminishes my ‘inclusive and exclusive’ experience. 

We all cannot argue with this statement. Let us all leave it at that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tony s said:

And calling someone a cracker isn't ignorant?

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, tony s said:

This is the response I found offensive. Instead of addressing why staff is reluctant, they attacked the messenger

OK, I went back and re-read the posts and what lead up to them....

3 hours ago, tony s said:

Who cares as long as they don’t act stupid, harass someone or hog the snack buffet.

^... This post seems to be supportive of interlopers as long as they act appropriately. The "attack" that followed was rooted in being against the interlopers....

3 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

Wrong answer.  Those of us who pay for a given level of service expect that value will not be diminished by those who have not paid (interlopers). One cabin paying and ‘inviting’ guests to join them markedly diminishes my ‘inclusive and exclusive’ experience. 

^...I can't speak for "kelleherdl" but I read the response as taking a "...who cares...?" approach was the "...wrong answer..." to the problem of interlopers. It seemed that the suggestion was that Yacht Club guests shouldn't care if there are interlopers as long as the interlopers don't blatantly cause problems. 

3 hours ago, Dgshooter said:

Sounds like something an interloper might say 😂.

^...A comment made in jest. No harm intended, IMO. 

3 hours ago, tony s said:

How would you feel if you kept being asked for your wristband because you look different. Happened to my wife on both occasions we have been in YC, including at the insistence of a Hyacinth Bucket wannabe. So IT’S NOT THE WRONG ANSWER! Would that not ruin”the experience “. And for the record she carries here card as she can’t wear her wrist band due to a medical condition. So rather than play YC police look at the whole situation 

^...THIS seems to be a reflection of the particular experience that none of us had known about nor was mentioned before in the thread. The posts above were reacting to the belief that interlopers should be left alone and that Yacht Club guests shouldn't care if interlopers are in the Yacht Club. Two different things were being presented and both can co-exist. Interlopers can be removed but it doesn't have to be at the expense of actual Yacht Club guests. The staff can "police" the area without causing a problem for actual Yacht Club guests. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

On this cruise the pool attendant was so intimidated by the YC guests that invited their friends and family into the YC for the Seafood Extravaganza he allowed them all to finish their meals before asking them to leave so paying YC guests, still waiting, had a place to sit.

Where was the YC Director?  

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

OK, I went back and re-read the posts and what lead up to them....

^... This post seems to be supportive of interlopers as long as they act appropriately. The "attack" that followed was rooted in being against the interlopers....

^...I can't speak for "kelleherdl" but I read the response as taking a "...who cares...?" approach was the "...wrong answer..." to the problem of interlopers. It seemed that the suggestion was that Yacht Club guests shouldn't care if there are interlopers as long as the interlopers don't blatantly cause problems. 

^...A comment made in jest. No harm intended, IMO. 

^...THIS seems to be a reflection of the particular experience that none of us had known about nor was mentioned before in the thread. The posts above were reacting to the belief that interlopers should be left alone and that Yacht Club guests shouldn't care if interlopers are in the Yacht Club. Two different things were being presented and both can co-exist. Interlopers can be removed but it doesn't have to be at the expense of actual Yacht Club guests. The staff can "police" the area without causing a problem for actual Yacht Club guests. 

Perhaps he should have started a thread with what happened to his wife by a hyacinth button cracker (his words).  Then we would have been more sympathetic.  Then again, I have a difficult time sympathizing with chips on shoulders and derogatory references to race.

• Like 3