Is it just me or does anyone else find the music too loud at the shows?

mackfam

On our most recent cruise I found the music at the shows to be way too loud. Even my young adult children complained about the volume and said they needed ear plugs. 

We didn’t attend the Carousel Shows this time as we had seen them last November, but I remember those being overly loud to the point of spoiling the experience.

I don’t understand why most entertainment venues (on land also) seem to think that louder=better. Even the smaller venues were uncomfortably loud at times, including at times, the entertainment  in the Top Sail lounge (though admittedly the layout and placement of the piano causes those tables in the immediate vicinity to be subject to louder volumes than those at the far end of the lounge). I don’t understand why an amp is needed in this venue at all.  

I like to listen to live music but also be able to have a conversation with my companions without having to shout across the table.  Maybe I’ll have to join the younger generation’s trend of texting instead of talking.

• Like 1

I don’t recall thinking the music at the shows was too loud BUT I find the canned music on the YC pool deck to be quite loud. It’s supposed to be background music but was definitely in the foreground on our last cruise. I had to wear headphones with white noise (ocean waves) just to enjoy a little nap in a lounger. 

• Like 1

Hello,

Yes I find  nearly *ALL* music too loud.

But re your suggestion that 'louder = better', I think they think 'louder = you (we) are having more enjoyment'.

Incidentally last month on Virtuosa I needed earplugs in bed to mask the sounds from the cabin itself - in particular the window/cabin door fixture.

Regards,

Cublet

• Thanks 1

Only experiences on Virtuosa ex UK, but the music on board that annoys me the most is the proximity of the singer / piano player to the guest services desk.   Post-covid, it was even worse when they had screens, but it's got no better since they were removed.   I still find both passengers and staff members virtually having to scream at each other.

In all honesty, I've found neither carousel show loud, and in the main theatre, I tend to sit near the back.   I find Cunard shows far greater in volume.

I definitely didn't think the music was too loud.  If anything I thought the acoustics were bad all around the ship and took away from the entertainment.  Just sailed Seascape and I thought the dueling pianos was nice but I felt it should have been in it's own venue.  In the atrium we could never really hear the entertainment.

Theater shows were perfect for us. Great acoustics, clarity of voices & music.

OTOH poolside entertainment music and inside lounges were way too loud.

My ears are still ringing with ABBA music on white night...

20230527_223249.jpg

14 hours ago, showingdiva said:

the music on board that annoys me the most is the proximity of the singer / piano player to the guest services desk. I still find both passengers and staff members virtually having to scream at each other.

Perhaps that is a strategy? 😉

• Haha 1

My theory, they figure erring too loud is better than too quiet.

If it's loud, they can satisfy older demographics that might be hard of hearing. They also satisfy younger demographics that equate a loud atmosphere with more fun. People also tend to talk too loud after a few drinks.

If it's too quiet, older people might complain they can't hear anything, younger people will assume it's boring and loud music is less annoying than listening to loud drunks.

On 6/17/2023 at 6:11 PM, mackfam said:

I like to listen to live music but also be able to have a conversation with my companions without having to shout across the table.  Maybe I’ll have to join the younger generation’s trend of texting instead of talking.

This is why the music is too loud.

I frequently find the music too loud. I try to remember to carry ear plugs with me wherever I go. What gets me every time is happening to walk by a venue that is playing a trivia game. The staff person leading the trivia is always SHOUTING into the microphone. I can hear them half way across the ship. When you have a microphone, it is not necessary to shout. A simple raised voice would suffice.

Now, I have officially crossed over into cranky-old-senior-citizen territory.