Breakfast in the Epicurean

Son of Bare

6 minutes ago, david63 said:

I suppose the next step will be that non higher level Peninsular members will be able to pay to go to the embarkation lunch.

(That's another idea that the bean counters have not come up with - yet!!)

Abysmal event stopped bothering years ago

2 minutes ago, david63 said:

I suppose the next step will be that non higher level Peninsular members will be able to pay to go to the embarkation lunch.

(That's another idea that the bean counters have not come up with - yet!!)

Not as long as I am that lunch!!! 🤣

Our next cruise, less than 11 weeks to go, not that I'm counting, we're travelling as a group of six  The Ole Lady & I get priority boarding, and consequently the embarkation lunch.  Our friends do not.  It would be nice if we could all attend the lunch even at extra cost.  The buffet for all of us it is.

40 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Not as long as I am that lunch!!! 🤣

Our next cruise, less than 11 weeks to go, not that I'm counting, we're travelling as a group of six  The Ole Lady & I get priority boarding, and consequently the embarkation lunch.  Our friends do not.  It would be nice if we could all attend the lunch even at extra cost.  The buffet for all of us it is.

Look on the bright side. Grab and go may be operating by then. Come on P&O🥪🌭🍕

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

Crew having dinner in speciality dining rooms pay to do so and its subject to capacity, guests do get priority.

That’s not always the case. On our recent cruise several of the crew who we knew well (not officers, but waiting staff etc) were allowed to have free meals in the speciality restaurants in small groups. It was under a scheme that they told me about. I can’t recall the exact name but it was ‘x privilege’). Also, there have been plenty of times when we have dined, or attempted to dine, in Speciality restaurants that are ‘fully booked’ but we’ve seen officers dining in them!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just come to this thread.

Our first and up till this June only P&O suite on Aurora only 10 suites and we had same table most mornings, just because most guests are creatures of habit. Since then Cunard QG fixed table, Saga no different to anyone else.

I have no objection to others non suite having breakfast in Epicurean,  as long as I don't have to queue can turn up when I like and get a good table. Not as every restaurants has one or two the table from hell, only view is into kitchen. 

Solution is very simple, Arvia has 25 suites, so they reserve 25 tables in the best position by windows for the suites passengers. If anyone else wants these answer is NO even if they are empty.

Edited by Windsurfboy
Spelling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

That’s not always the case. On our recent cruise several of the crew who we knew well (not officers, but waiting staff etc) were allowed to have free meals in the speciality restaurants in small groups. It was under a scheme that they told me about. I can’t recall the exact name but it was ‘x privilege’). Also, there have been plenty of times when we have dined, or attempted to dine, in Speciality restaurants that are ‘fully booked’ but we’ve seen officers dining in them!

Oh really? When I was working on Aurora it was a real mission to get deck privileges for any of the asian staff. Regardless, its still being paid for by someone, Harding Brothers or whomever but I take your point.

I suppose the rules about staff and crew dining are perhaps sometimes enforced as well as the dress code rules.

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

I have no objection to others non suite having breakfast in Epicurean

I do.

One of the benefits of a suite is the option to have breakfast in Epicurean and to allow others in, even if paying, is devaluing the suite benefit. If you want to have breakfast in Epicurean then book a suite - it really is that simple.

Next thing that will be wanted is someone in an inside cabin will want a butler!

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

Oh really? When I was working on Aurora it was a real mission to get deck privileges for any of the asian staff. Regardless, its still being paid for by someone, Harding Brothers or whomever but I take your point.

I suppose the rules about staff and crew dining are perhaps sometimes enforced as well as the dress code rules.

Yes, deck privilege was indeed the term used. Our MDR waiter and Glasshouse wine host (amongst many others) had free meals during our cruise. Not an issue as far as I’m concerned. Every time we used speciality restaurants (probably at least 15 times over the 65 nights) there were always officers dining there. I don’t doubt that they pay but, as I’ve said, it can be irritating when passengers cannot book, although due to the length of our recent cruise this wasn’t an issue. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, david63 said:

I do.

One of the benefits of a suite is the option to have breakfast in Epicurean and to allow others in, even if paying, is devaluing the suite benefit. If you want to have breakfast in Epicurean then book a suite - it really is that simple.

Ideally that might be best but it's not going to happen, if they can make a bit more money they will.

I do think £8,50 is too cheap, the Epicurean breakfast should be more than £8.50 better than the MDR.  My biggest objection would be not about letting others in, but that the exclusive suite breakfast should be worth at least £20 extra, better ingredients more dishes not available elsewhere,  all cooked to order with the ability to tailor it to individual.  If its only worth an extra £8.50 then it doesn't live up to promise

My other concern is that this policy doesn't impact me.  I liked it in Aurora when you got to know regular breakfast neighbours, and you also had same waiters every day. This can be achieved by reserving an area solely for Suite passengers, this should of course be best tables with best views. Any non suite demand needs extra staff.

5 hours ago, david63 said:

I do.

Next thing that will be wanted is someone in an inside cabin will want a butler!

WELL.... Whilst I agree that if the wording is 'exclusive breakfast venue for suite guests' or similar then that should be the case, I expect that the resolution will be rewording the literature and the reality will be 'If you want an exclusive breakfast venue then book a cruise line that provides one - it really is that simple'.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

WELL.... Whilst I agree that if the wording is 'exclusive breakfast venue for suite guests' or similar then that should be the case, I expect that the resolution will be rewording the literature and the reality will be 'If you want an exclusive breakfast venue then book a cruise line that provides one - it really is that simple'.

I follow the Graucho Marks principle.

Edited by zap99

6 hours ago, david63 said:

Wait, what? There’s no butler for inside cabins? On P&O? I thought they were available in 99.9% of all cabins. now where are my pearls to clutch?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Camberley said:

Wait, what? There’s no butler for inside cabins? On P&O? I thought they were available in 99.9% of all cabins. now where are my pearls to clutch?

I think you may be getting mixed up, apparently P&O is meant to be Butlins-on-sea, not Butlers-on-sea….😉😂😂

I’ll get my coat

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

23 minutes ago, Sussexboy said:

I think you may be getting mixed up, apparently P&O is meant to be Butlins-on-sea, not Butlers-on-sea….😉😂😂

I’ll get my coat

Well I did feel that ditching the sail aways for the knobbly knees competitions was a smart move

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

One of the things the suite breakfast provides is a quiet, peaceful and unhurried quality breakfast. There are enough tables to cater for every guest without having to reuse them. No waiting and usually the same table and staff every morning. Allowing others to pay to use the restaurant on odd mornings would diminish the experience for those who pay extra for their ‘suite experience’. The message is simple, if you want to have breakfast in a speciality breakfast, book a suite and you will be welcome to do so. It is not as though you cannot get a decent breakfast in the MDR or elsewhere.  

Edited by pete14

24 minutes ago, pete14 said:

One of the things the suite breakfast provides is a quiet, peaceful and unhurried quality breakfast. There are enough tables to cater for every guest without having to reuse them. No waiting and usually the same table and staff every morning. Allowing others to pay to use the restaurant on odd mornings would diminish the experience for those who pay extra for their ‘suite experience’. The message is simple, if you want to have breakfast in a speciality breakfast, book a suite and you will be welcome to do so. It is not as though you cannot get a decent breakfast in the MDR or elsewhere.  

What line will you move to if this becomes standard on P&O?

8 minutes ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

For me it will be either Cunard in Grills or Princess in any suite (until their bean counters decide that there is money to be made!)

2 hours ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

I have no idea but in all honesty, I think it is unlikely to happen. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, pete14 said:

You do know it is only Iona and Arvia, There are about twice as many tables as suites on both ships therefore they have plenty of room. We have used this service a number of times and the dining rooms has been about a third full each time. I am not aware on any other cruisers doing as we did. We were always given a table near the back as I* suspect it was easier with my scooter. We have traveled in a suite on most ships in the past and I cannot remember any of the restaurants used being anywhere near full, ever. Perhaps others are put off by the cost of £17.00 per couple,

Edited by daiB

19 hours ago, daiB said:

You do know it is only Iona and Arvia, There are about twice as many tables as suites on both ships therefore they have plenty of room. We have used this service a number of times and the dining rooms has been about a third full each time. I am not aware on any other cruisers doing as we did. We were always given a table near the back as I* suspect it was easier with my scooter. We have traveled in a suite on most ships in the past and I cannot remember any of the restaurants used being anywhere near full, ever. Perhaps others are put off by the cost of £17.00 per couple,

If on Arvia and Iona, surplus tables are available to those wishing to pay a supplement, I have no issue. On smaller ships that do not have surplus tables it would be an issue. If they want to reuse my table after I have used it, that would be OK but not before if it meant I would have to wait. I don’t think that would be unreasonable. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pete14 said:

If on Arvia and Iona, surplus tables are available to those wishing to pay a supplement, I have no issue. On smaller ships that do not have surplus tables it would be an issue. If they want to reuse my table after I have used it, that would be OK but not before if it meant I would have to wait. I don’t think that would be unreasonable. 

From my enquires this is not going to be spread to the rest of the fleet. They do not have the capacity.

• Like 1