Sensor lights on Sky Princess - who thought this was a good idea?

cavecreekguy

We experienced these very annoying sensor lights on the Diamond Princess last year and found them to be a real nuisance. Will be on the Crown in Sept.

We have 2 questions:

1. Have any of you encountered a room steward who would not block the sensor lights, i.e., can we depend on that?

2. If need be, where exactly should we look for the sensor lights in the closet?

Edited by JudithLynne

On 6/19/2023 at 6:59 AM, topspot said:

We found a great use for our masks!  

D9D16203-9E09-48E1-BB87-F10E44AA44A1.jpeg

You're the best, thank you! This will allow us to cover at night and easily remove in the day when we actually want to the light. 

8 hours ago, Napagirl said:

You're the best, thank you! This will allow us to cover at night and easily remove in the day when we actually want to the light. 

On the Enchanted it is possible to turn the closet light on with a switch even if the sensor is covered. It’s still on a timer though. So annoying, but better than no switch at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2023 at 6:17 AM, edspec said:

On the Sky now, both DH and I hate the lights. He’s taken to wearing the eye mask he received on the flight over. 

I did that as well, mainly due to it being "dawn" at 3 am.

On 6/23/2023 at 8:18 AM, Musky Ike said:

Talk to your steward. They will take care if it.

Not if your cabin steward is the one we had! He was on night light patrol, removing the paper covering the sensor.

19 hours ago, JudithLynne said:

We experienced these very annoying sensor lights on the Diamond Princess last year and found them to be a real nuisance. Will be on the Crown in Sept.

We have 2 questions:

1. Have any of you encountered a room steward who would not block the sensor lights, i.e., can we depend on that?

2. If need be, where exactly should we look for the sensor lights in the closet?

The sensor is on the light unit on the ceiling in front of the closet.

We found these lights bothersome on the Caribbean Princess in April. I even tried the Crew Chat on the app to see if there was a way to disable them, but was told there was not. Way too bright for a night light, the under cabinet lighting on the bedside stands is perfect. The sensor light in the closet, in addition to being way too bright, doesn't stay on long enough when you might actually want it while doing things in the closet. Will be bringing painter's tape this time around. 

On 6/19/2023 at 10:55 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

Only problem for me is that I can’t reach that light to remove during the day.  OHSA not happy with me climbing on a chair while the ship is rocking and rolling.  

OSHA has no jurisdiction in a foreign country, which applies to a cruise ship.  Even in the US, OSHA has no jurisdition unless you are an employee of the business that is involved.  Hence, OSHA standards, which are truly valuable, cannot be enforced on a passenger or a volunteer.

Buy travel insurance for 'falling off the chair' injuries!

2 hours ago, blurrybirdpictures said:

We found these lights bothersome on the Caribbean Princess in April. I even tried the Crew Chat on the app to see if there was a way to disable them, but was told there was not. Way too bright for a night light, the under cabinet lighting on the bedside stands is perfect. The sensor light in the closet, in addition to being way too bright, doesn't stay on long enough when you might actually want it while doing things in the closet. Will be bringing painter's tape this time around. 

The way to disable the one in the hall is to cover the sensor. We used just a bit of cardstock and it worked great, We removed it in the morning because our cabin steward did not want it there. He was the worst steward we have ever had. He was friendly and trying, but it was just not jiving.

6 hours ago, nini said:

Not if your cabin steward is the one we had! He was on night light patrol, removing the paper covering the sensor.

One request, and a word with his supervisor would be happening 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, antsp said:

One request, and a word with his supervisor would be happening 

I understand where you are coming from, but that did not feel right to us. We already had gone to Guest Services to say we were disappointed that we did not have the luggage mat on the bed; so our freshly made bed got a bit dirty from our luggage. The person at Guest Services cautioned us to making complaints as he had also been a steward. We always tip extra for our stewards but not this time.

2 hours ago, nini said:

I understand where you are coming from, but that did not feel right to us. We already had gone to Guest Services to say we were disappointed that we did not have the luggage mat on the bed; so our freshly made bed got a bit dirty from our luggage. The person at Guest Services cautioned us to making complaints as he had also been a steward. We always tip extra for our stewards but not this time.

Its the only way things can improve, easy to say from here though